Jones Day Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Jones Day

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:54 pm

I have an offer to work at Jones Day in NY/DC and would love to hear about other people's experiences with or perceptions of the firm: good, bad and ugly, insider and outsider. Just trying to get as much of a sense of the place as possible. All thoughts welcome - just please identify the office you are addressing and the source of your comment (as much as you are comfortable doing). e.g. currently work there, spent a summer there, have friends who work there etc. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Jones Day

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:05 pm

At least in NYC, expect to wear a suit almost all the time: http://abovethelaw.com/2011/05/its-the- ... ress-code/

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:10 pm

I can only speak for the NY office, but I suspect this is true everywhere.

Jones Day is like a window into what law firms looked like twenty years ago, which will be popular with some and not so popular with others. Most of their work is for old-school, blue chip industrial companies as opposed to exotic financial outfits or the like. They are more formal than most firms, and your personality will decide if that's good or bad. What some see as very polite, professional, respectful, and dignified; others see as rigid, uptight, and hierarchical.

Nice offices, super annoying elevators.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:18 pm

I'll be doing summer SA with them starting next month in NY office, and I'm pretty psyched for it. I don't have any inside info or experience, but from my outsider's view, it seemed like the right fit for me. I am very interested in employment law, and they are one of the few top level firms that has a big employment law practice area, so that was a real draw for me. From a culture perspective, I sort of like that the firm couldn't care less what other firms do. They fully acknowledge that they do some core things differently. The firm managed to weather the recession much better than many competing firms, so there must be something to it. I noticed that they appeared to be high on formality (i.e. suits everyday), but I'm sort of old-school anyway, so thats not a big deal to me at all.

All in all, I really liked the people I met there, and they all said that the firm tries really hard to find people will buy into the culture and vibe they want to have. I spoke to some personal acquaintances who had worked in the DC office in the past and they had nothing but great things to say about the firm, how its run, the pay, etc. They said that, while the firm takes pride in keeping compensation individualized, pretty much everyone essentially makes market salary, and a few of the guys I spoke with said they made above market for their office. None of them said they had ever heard of someone getting less (so its not like their black box compensation system is just an excuse to pay below market, or else people would just leave the firm).

I'm sure I will learn a lot over the summer, some good and some bad, but I'm overall very positive about it, and I think it will be a great experience.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'll be doing summer SA with them starting next month in NY office, and I'm pretty psyched for it. I don't have any inside info or experience, but from my outsider's view, it seemed like the right fit for me. I am very interested in employment law, and they are one of the few top level firms that has a big employment law practice area, so that was a real draw for me. From a culture perspective, I sort of like that the firm couldn't care less what other firms do. They fully acknowledge that they do some core things differently. The firm managed to weather the recession much better than many competing firms, so there must be something to it. I noticed that they appeared to be high on formality (i.e. suits everyday), but I'm sort of old-school anyway, so thats not a big deal to me at all.

All in all, I really liked the people I met there, and they all said that the firm tries really hard to find people will buy into the culture and vibe they want to have. I spoke to some personal acquaintances who had worked in the DC office in the past and they had nothing but great things to say about the firm, how its run, the pay, etc. They said that, while the firm takes pride in keeping compensation individualized, pretty much everyone essentially makes market salary, and a few of the guys I spoke with said they made above market for their office. None of them said they had ever heard of someone getting less (so its not like their black box compensation system is just an excuse to pay below market, or else people would just leave the firm).

I'm sure I will learn a lot over the summer, some good and some bad, but I'm overall very positive about it, and I think it will be a great experience.
Does Jones Day pay clerkship bonuses?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'll be doing summer SA with them starting next month in NY office, and I'm pretty psyched for it. I don't have any inside info or experience, but from my outsider's view, it seemed like the right fit for me. I am very interested in employment law, and they are one of the few top level firms that has a big employment law practice area, so that was a real draw for me. From a culture perspective, I sort of like that the firm couldn't care less what other firms do. They fully acknowledge that they do some core things differently. The firm managed to weather the recession much better than many competing firms, so there must be something to it. I noticed that they appeared to be high on formality (i.e. suits everyday), but I'm sort of old-school anyway, so thats not a big deal to me at all.

Yes. Can't find the exact figure on their site, but it definitely says there is a bonus for clerkships

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Does Jones Day pay clerkship bonuses?
Yes.

50k in 2008 (http://abovethelaw.com/2008/03/clerkshi ... ay-to-50k/)

Along with the seniority and compensation bump: (http://www.jonesdaycareers.com/faq/)
Q. Does Jones Day offer seniority or compensation credit to associates joining the Firm after a judicial clerkship?
A. Yes. Jones Day offers both a bonus and seniority credit (for both compensation and seniority purposes) to associates joining the Firm directly from a federal court or state supreme court clerkship. More information can be found on the Value of Clerking tab under each office.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yes. Can't find the exact figure on their site, but it definitely says there is a bonus for clerkships
According to the comments in the clerkship scramble, the Dist Ct bonus is 50k and the COA bonus is 75k:
--LinkRemoved--

ruski

Bronze

Post by ruski » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:51 pm

they're known to be of the firms that tend to work associates pretty hard (jones days nights and weekends). obv dont know really how accurate these reputations/stereotypes are, but that's the rep that jones day has.

just as anecdotal evidence, during my interview i def got the feel that they are pretty serious about bidness. the interviewer, a senior associate, told me he doesn't believe in working from home, and that when its 6pm he likes walking over to the first years desk and asking him something in person. this is the opposite of how most firms sell themselves, telling you how there is no face time policy or anything. again, this is just one guy there but still.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:21 pm

Does anyone actually know what kind of hours associates work? What does a typical weekly schedule look like?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone actually know what kind of hours associates work? What does a typical weekly schedule look like?
Any NYC office is going to be pretty tough hours. I'd imagine Jones Day is no better and no worse in this regard. As for what a weekly schedule looks like, I'm interested to hear as well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone actually know what kind of hours associates work? What does a typical weekly schedule look like?
Any NYC office is going to be pretty tough hours. I'd imagine Jones Day is no better and no worse in this regard. As for what a weekly schedule looks like, I'm interested to hear as well.
Also, would there be a noticeable difference between Jones Day NYC vs. Jones Day DC?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Also, would there be a noticeable difference between Jones Day NYC vs. Jones Day DC?
DC offices are way nicer I hear

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:19 pm

Anyone know their offer rates for 1L summer associates?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know their offer rates for 1L summer associates?
NY office claims 100% offer rates past 3 years I believe. They made sure to convey to me that the recession didn't at all affect their ability to hire all the SA's. While they cut the size of the summer class, no one got screwed who would have expected to be hired.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:23 pm

This is relevant to my interests (DC specifically).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know their offer rates for 1L summer associates?
NY office claims 100% offer rates past 3 years I believe. They made sure to convey to me that the recession didn't at all affect their ability to hire all the SA's. While they cut the size of the summer class, no one got screwed who would have expected to be hired.
I heard this as well. I guess just trying allay any fears that a grade drop could leave me with a no offer. Maybe I should stop worrying and study...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
This is relevant to my interests (DC specifically).
+1

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:25 am

Any other people with Jones Day experience who can chime in?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:19 pm

ruski wrote:they're known to be of the firms that tend to work associates pretty hard (jones days nights and weekends). obv dont know really how accurate these reputations/stereotypes are, but that's the rep that jones day has.

just as anecdotal evidence, during my interview i def got the feel that they are pretty serious about bidness. the interviewer, a senior associate, told me he doesn't believe in working from home, and that when its 6pm he likes walking over to the first years desk and asking him something in person. this is the opposite of how most firms sell themselves, telling you how there is no face time policy or anything. again, this is just one guy there but still.
I know people who worked/currently work in both the NYC and DC offices and I've heard very positive things. They are more formal in DC (full suit everyday) but they are known for having a good culture. You will get paid less in bonuses due to their bonus payouts being a blackbox (the less transparent the bonus structure is, the less associates get paid according to my sources) but the quality of life at Jones Day is supposedly top notch. Despite getting comp'd a bit lower due to them not adhering to lock-step compensation the people I know say they would pick it over other firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ruski wrote:they're known to be of the firms that tend to work associates pretty hard (jones days nights and weekends). obv dont know really how accurate these reputations/stereotypes are, but that's the rep that jones day has.

I know people who worked/currently work in both the NYC and DC offices and I've heard very positive things. They are more formal in DC (full suit everyday) but they are known for having a good culture. You will get paid less in bonuses due to their bonus payouts being a blackbox (the less transparent the bonus structure is, the less associates get paid according to my sources) but the quality of life at Jones Day is supposedly top notch. Despite getting comp'd a bit lower due to them not adhering to lock-step compensation the people I know say they would pick it over other firms.
This is great to hear.

I've heard that in the Atlanta office, people work like 60 hrs/week and make fun of the DC office for being "Jones Day and Night." How much more than 60 hours/week should someone expect to work as a first-third year associate in the DC office?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:15 pm

The people I spoke with (a few DC, and a few NY) all said that they were given market bonus, with one of them claiming he got a little above market bonus. None of them said they received anything below that (though the sample size is obviously small). They said that, instead of getting a lump sum bonus at the end of the year, the bonus becomes a part of your raise for the next year. I guess that benefits the firm since, if you leave mid-year, they save some of the bonus $$ they would have given you, but doesn't sound bad at all. So they claim they don't pay bonuses, but that is a bit misleading.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:30 pm

This doesnt get brought up much but does anyone know anything about the Irvine office? Only has 50 attorneys. Has anyone heard anything about this office? I think this would be the ideal place for me as my parents live about 15 minutes away, but I have yet to hear anyone mention it. I am assuming their SA classes are small.

Looked on NALP, looks like less than 5 SAs each summer. As few as 2..... well, shit lol

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The people I spoke with (a few DC, and a few NY) all said that they were given market bonus, with one of them claiming he got a little above market bonus. None of them said they received anything below that (though the sample size is obviously small). They said that, instead of getting a lump sum bonus at the end of the year, the bonus becomes a part of your raise for the next year. I guess that benefits the firm since, if you leave mid-year, they save some of the bonus $$ they would have given you, but doesn't sound bad at all. So they claim they don't pay bonuses, but that is a bit misleading.
They defer paying out your bonus for a year? Yeah that sounds awesome.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:26 pm

Any potential concern based on loss of 95 lawyers this year posted by new NLJ?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”