Jones Day Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Jones Day

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:43 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone speak to how easy it is to lateral to other offices within the firm? Say, if I summered in a secondary market but wanted to transition to NYC/DC/Another secondary city after graduation?
It seems to be pretty common, but I wouldn't say it's something you can bank on. From what I know it'll depend primarily on what practice group you're interested in and to a lesser extend why you want to transfer. If you want lit or M&A (or some other practice that is decent sized in all offices) it'll probably work out fine. Even though matters really are staffed across offices, my sense is that some attention is still paid to geography. As to the reason, I've only heard of cases where it was approved and the reasons varied a little, but all mainly had to do with SOs.
Thanks for the info! Do you know of any other reason, other than SOs, that people were able to use to transfer offices?

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone speak to how easy it is to lateral to other offices within the firm? Say, if I summered in a secondary market but wanted to transition to NYC/DC/Another secondary city after graduation?
It seems to be pretty common, but I wouldn't say it's something you can bank on. From what I know it'll depend primarily on what practice group you're interested in and to a lesser extend why you want to transfer. If you want lit or M&A (or some other practice that is decent sized in all offices) it'll probably work out fine. Even though matters really are staffed across offices, my sense is that some attention is still paid to geography. As to the reason, I've only heard of cases where it was approved and the reasons varied a little, but all mainly had to do with SOs.
Thanks for the info! Do you know of any other reason, other than SOs, that people were able to use to transfer offices?
I believe one other was related to immediate family needs/issues (being closer to help)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:55 am

Be up front about your situation at the outset. Last summer, we had an SA who wanted to get back to Dubai to be close to family. Although Dubai doesn't have the capacity to take on and train a new lawyer, the Firm assigned a mentor from that office and are actively working to make it happen a few years down the road.

However, you must also be prepared for the Firm to say no to the request, because ultimately the needs of the Firm will win out. For example, if you are interested in Business Restructuring (Bankruptcy), do not expect to get permission to move to DC. There are no partners in the group in the DC office to supervise a young associate.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Be up front about your situation at the outset. Last summer, we had an SA who wanted to get back to Dubai to be close to family. Although Dubai doesn't have the capacity to take on and train a new lawyer, the Firm assigned a mentor from that office and are actively working to make it happen a few years down the road.

However, you must also be prepared for the Firm to say no to the request, because ultimately the needs of the Firm will win out. For example, if you are interested in Business Restructuring (Bankruptcy), do not expect to get permission to move to DC. There are no partners in the group in the DC office to supervise a young associate.
Got it, thanks. Right now, I'm trying to decide between cities, and JD has offices in the cities I'm interested in. But I don't have a specific, compelling reason to be in a city other than the one I'm interviewing with (I have ties to the other city, but nothing like a SO there). Do you think splitting the summer between offices is an option? How should I address this from the beginning, if at all? Thanks again for all the info!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Got it, thanks. Right now, I'm trying to decide between cities, and JD has offices in the cities I'm interested in. But I don't have a specific, compelling reason to be in a city other than the one I'm interviewing with (I have ties to the other city, but nothing like a SO there). Do you think splitting the summer between offices is an option? How should I address this from the beginning, if at all? Thanks again for all the info!
you can always ask, but wait until after you get an offer. We've had more than two JD/JD splits this summer, but they each had compelling reasons (hometown, etc)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fruitlobber

New

Post by fruitlobber » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:00 pm

Any insights into the SF office?

MikeJD

Bronze

Post by MikeJD » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:35 pm

Has Jones day released its 2014 SA list(roster of SAs and what schools they come from)?? They use to do this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:45 am

MikeJD wrote:Has Jones day released its 2014 SA list(roster of SAs and what schools they come from)?? They use to do this.
They have it on the intranet. How bad do you want it? Do you want firm-wide?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:49 am

While I was at a JD hospitality suite, I half-jokingly said that I would never want to leave the city I was interested in (assessing the audience), and the recruiter told me nicely that I probably don't want to say that in an interview. Said it's always better to be flexible as far as placement down the line in your career.

I have no idea what this means. But thought I'd throw it out there.

FWIW, I got an offer and I am currently a summer in a ties-sensitive market (Cleveland/Columbus/Chicago/LA/SF).

As mentioned in previous posts, JD seems to be very accommodating and interested in helping you grow as an attorney. If it makes sense for you and the firm to move you to another office, I cannot imagine it being a problem.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
MikeJD wrote:Has Jones day released its 2014 SA list(roster of SAs and what schools they come from)?? They use to do this.

I would like to see this info as well, do you have the link to their website where it is showing this?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I would like to see this info as well, do you have the link to their website where it is showing this?
No. It is on the intRAnet -- the internal server for people employed at JD. If there is interest, I can compile a list by going through the names and ordering it by school. There isn't like a readymade list that I can copy & paste.

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

No. It is on the intRAnet -- the internal server for people employed at JD. If there is interest, I can compile a list by going through the names and ordering it by school. There isn't like a readymade list that I can copy & paste.
.....please ;)
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:16 am

I also have a city change question. JD has an office in my hometown (TX), but when my SO graduates law school, I'd want to move to DC with them. If I'm doing litigation is this a reasonable move?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:23 am

2014 SUMMER ASSOCIATE DATA FROM ALL OFFICES WORLDWIDE (One Firm Worldwide!! ;))

T14
Harvard - 19
UVA - 10
NYU - 10
GULC - 10
Stanford - 8
Penn - 8
UC Berkeley - 7
Chicago - 6
Michigan - 6
Columbia - 5
Duke - 4
Northwestern - 3
Yale - 2
Cornell - 1
----

Non T-14
Ohio State - 12
Texas - 10
Emory - 5
Notre Dame - 5
UCLA - 4
Georgia - 4
Illinois - 3
BC - 3
Fordham - 3
GW - 3
Vanderbilt - 3
Case Western - 2
Cleveland Marshall - 2
Georgia State - 2
Albany - 1
Brooklyn - 1
Hofstra - 1
Indiana - 1
Loyola-LA - 1
Penn State - 1
SMU - 1
Texas Tech - 1
UC Hastings - 1
UC Irvine - 1
Akron - 1
Arizona - 1
Iowa - 1
Maryland - 1
Miami - 1
Pitt - 1
Toledo - 1
Wake Forest - 1
WUSTL - 1
William and Mary - 1

=Total: 180

Overall, I really like that there are so many schools represented. JD is not snobby about schools.

Anonymous User

Jones Day

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:57 am

I have a question Re: Jones Day ... someone familiar with the firm and/or goes there PM me

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have a question Re: Jones Day ... someone familiar with the firm and/or goes there PM me
They can't PM you if you're anonymous.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:12 am

It's a shithole.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

KM2016

Bronze

Post by KM2016 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:25 am

JohannDeMann wrote:It's a shithole.
TCR.

goden

Gold

Post by goden » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:10 am

One firm worldwide

0Droit

New

Post by 0Droit » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:21 am

Why?

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:56 am

They make you wear a suit

the horror

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:58 am

I can't imagine what question you couldn't get via google, that a random lawyer from a firm with like 2000 lawyers can answer.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:53 am

Danger Zone wrote:They make you wear a suit

the horror
Not really. OP PM me with Qs.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:35 am

homestyle28 wrote:

the horror
New York office? Yes

This is a little outdated but fuck that place for even writing this email: http://abovethelaw.com/2011/05/its-the- ... ress-code/

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:37 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:

the horror
New York office? Yes

This is a little outdated but fuck that place for even writing this email: http://abovethelaw.com/2011/05/its-the- ... ress-code/
I don't work in NYC, at my office I'm more likely to have my chops busted about wearing a suit/tie than the other way around. To quote the NYC associate who I just IM'd :"Fri is business casual, summer is business casual, rest of the week is whatever you can get away with..." The more senior you are the more you take liberties, though plenty of people wear a suit M-Th.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”