Jones Day Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Jones Day

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:18 am

Anyone who either worked in DC last summer or did their CB already know how long the wait is typically between CB and offer?

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:It is the best fit though, for a number of reasons. Should I really care about those rankings?
Absolutely go with best fit. No, you should not care about a number. That number changes year to year and will do nothing to make you like your job any better.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:04 pm

Anyone here interview at the LA office? Any impressions?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
OutCold wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:In NY, from a pure prestige perspective for someone who wants to go into the transactional side, how would you compare JD to Cahill, Clifford Chance, Proskauer or Cadwalader?
Interested in this as well.
Like all Vault lists, take it with a grain of salt - but I found this list very helpful as a guide for which firms are considered most prestigious in NYC: http://www.vault.com/wps/portal/usa/ran ... gYear=2013
Anonymous User wrote:
OutCold wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:In NY, from a pure prestige perspective for someone who wants to go into the transactional side, how would you compare JD to Cahill, Clifford Chance, Proskauer or Cadwalader?
Interested in this as well.
Like all Vault lists, take it with a grain of salt - but I found this list very helpful as a guide for which firms are considered most prestigious in NYC: http://www.vault.com/wps/portal/usa/ran ... gYear=2013
Ugh, that would suggest it's the least prestigious of my options. I've been assuming it was the most prestigious (based on the V100). It is the best fit though, for a number of reasons. Should I really care about those rankings?
Pretty much everyone in the legal community knows and respects the name any time I've ever mentioned it in NY. Even more importantly, that goes for clients and non-lawyers in the city. It is certainly a prestigious firm, and that is going to be the case in many places, including NY. If its the best fit for you, then definitely go for it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone who either worked in DC last summer or did their CB already know how long the wait is typically between CB and offer?
It varies. When I did a CB as a 1L I was told I would hear within a week but then they called the next day.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:49 pm

Jones Day's Litigation Department recognized as one of the four most feared biglaw opponents.

http://abovethelaw.com/2012/09/which-bi ... itigation/

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:40 pm

Got an offer from Jones Day-Silicon Valley for 2L summer, deciding between Weil, Gotshal & Manges - Houston.

Practice interest-patent.

Anyone has experiences with either office?

Thanks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:23 pm

has anyone gotten an offer from JD chicago? did a CB a few weeks ago and haven't heard anything...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:has anyone gotten an offer from JD chicago? did a CB a few weeks ago and haven't heard anything...
Yes. Cb 2weeks ago, offer last week.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:has anyone gotten an offer from JD chicago? did a CB a few weeks ago and haven't heard anything...
Yes. Cb 2weeks ago, offer last week.
Also had an offer within a week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:40 am

Anyone heard from the DC office? I was told by the partner who does the screeners at my school that all decisions are wrapped up by the end of September, and I just recently did my CB. Hoping there are a decent number of slots left, but I haven't heard anyone in this thread mention an offer for that office.

cowgirl123

New

Post by cowgirl123 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:32 pm

Last edited by cowgirl123 on Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:33 pm

bump

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:44 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:17 pm

any offers from JD Atlanta?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:27 pm

anyone hear of offers for the LA or Irvine office?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:they're known to be of the firms that tend to work associates pretty hard (jones days nights and weekends). obv dont know really how accurate these reputations/stereotypes are, but that's the rep that jones day has.

just as anecdotal evidence, during my interview i def got the feel that they are pretty serious about bidness. the interviewer, a senior associate, told me he doesn't believe in working from home, and that when its 6pm he likes walking over to the first years desk and asking him something in person. this is the opposite of how most firms sell themselves, telling you how there is no face time policy or anything. again, this is just one guy there but still.
I know people who worked/currently work in both the NYC and DC offices and I've heard very positive things. They are more formal in DC (full suit everyday) but they are known for having a good culture. You will get paid less in bonuses due to their bonus payouts being a blackbox (the less transparent the bonus structure is, the less associates get paid according to my sources) but the quality of life at Jones Day is supposedly top notch. Despite getting comp'd a bit lower due to them not adhering to lock-step compensation the people I know say they would pick it over other firms.[/quote]

This is great to hear.

As someone who recently summered in DC, I can say the office is virtually empty by 7:00pm and on the weeks, so Jones Day Nights and Weekends seems like nothing more than a playful moniker to me. Also, as far as black-box compensation, the thought that it means you get offered less doesn't make much sense to me -- Jones Day attorneys are highly marketable and other firms post their compensation numbers, so attorneys would move on if they were under compensated. It may be true with profits per partner, but most of us won't make partner and this ignores the benefit of the lack of origination credit system. (Ask a lateral partner at Jones Day and see which they prefer...). As noted, the DC office does have some old school formalities, but the attorneys there are very laid-back, well-compensated, and often work from home.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:they're known to be of the firms that tend to work associates pretty hard (jones days nights and weekends). obv dont know really how accurate these reputations/stereotypes are, but that's the rep that jones day has.

just as anecdotal evidence, during my interview i def got the feel that they are pretty serious about bidness. the interviewer, a senior associate, told me he doesn't believe in working from home, and that when its 6pm he likes walking over to the first years desk and asking him something in person. this is the opposite of how most firms sell themselves, telling you how there is no face time policy or anything. again, this is just one guy there but still.
I know people who worked/currently work in both the NYC and DC offices and I've heard very positive things. They are more formal in DC (full suit everyday) but they are known for having a good culture. You will get paid less in bonuses due to their bonus payouts being a blackbox (the less transparent the bonus structure is, the less associates get paid according to my sources) but the quality of life at Jones Day is supposedly top notch. Despite getting comp'd a bit lower due to them not adhering to lock-step compensation the people I know say they would pick it over other firms.

This is great to hear.

As someone who recently summered in DC, I can say the office is virtually empty by 7:00pm and on the weeks, so Jones Day Nights and Weekends seems like nothing more than a playful moniker to me. Also, as far as black-box compensation, the thought that it means you get offered less doesn't make much sense to me -- Jones Day attorneys are highly marketable and other firms post their compensation numbers, so attorneys would move on if they were under compensated. It may be true with profits per partner, but most of us won't make partner and this ignores the benefit of the lack of origination credit system. (Ask a lateral partner at Jones Day and see which they prefer...). As noted, the DC office does have some old school formalities, but the attorneys there are very laid-back, well-compensated, and often work from home.
At least from what I've been told by associates in the Chicago office, it's usually very quiet before 9 and after 6 with alot of partners trying to catch the 6pm train out to the burbs. Hours seem to be in line with general firms of its size/caliber. Associates also thought that there overall compensation was probably better than their peers at other firms b/c raises at Jones Day tend to be larger and incorporate what might otherwise be thought of as a bonus. However, most partners agree that it's not the place that tries to max out profits per partner, so at that level partners could make more elsewhere. Partners stick at JD b/c they believe in the culture and management of the firm and would rather be there than other more profit driven firms.

It's always worth reiterating that JD treated its summers and JR associates remarkably well i the down turn and is a good choice if you value stability and job security.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:38 pm

I accepted an offer at the Cleveland office and found the people to be friendly and supportive. Almost everybody is out of the office by 5, though people definitely do work from home. Also, we got our offers over champagne on the last day of the program.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:42 pm

Any idea on what the CB--> offer timeline looks like for NY?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I accepted an offer at the Cleveland office and found the people to be friendly and supportive. Almost everybody is out of the office by 5, though people definitely do work from home. Also, we got our offers over champagne on the last day of the program.
How many summers were in the Cleveland office with you? Is everyone coming back?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:12 pm

Anyone know the offer rates this year for Chicago? Last year someone was no-offered. Does Jones typically no-offer an SA or 2 or was that just a blip in the radar?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any idea on what the CB--> offer timeline looks like for NY?
It was a week for me. Good luck.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any idea on what the CB--> offer timeline looks like for NY?
It was a week for me. Good luck.
Interviewed this past wednesday, offered today.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:31 pm

What about SF? Anyone hear back recently?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”