Below median, T14: Strategies for employment 2L summer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
JusticeHarlan

Re: Below median, T14: Strategies for employment 2L summer?

Postby JusticeHarlan » Fri May 18, 2012 9:45 am

Could be helpful to some:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=178520

SHANbangs

Postby SHANbangs » Fri May 18, 2012 1:33 pm

Now that exams are over and pretty much everything is set in stone (grades, summer jerb, school prestige), what are some non-tactical ways for 1Ls going into this summer to max their chances at OCI? We know it's important to interview prep like a boss, and we know it's important to network and mass mail. Would attending any of the law firm receptions be useful? If we are interested in corporate/transactional, would taking a summer course in valuation or corporate finance, or doing some kind of financial modelling seminar, be helpful (signalling that we understand financial statements better than a majority of our peers?).

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Fri May 18, 2012 6:12 pm

SHANbangs wrote:Now that exams are over and pretty much everything is set in stone (grades, summer jerb, school prestige), what are some non-tactical ways for 1Ls going into this summer to max their chances at OCI? We know it's important to interview prep like a boss, and we know it's important to network and mass mail. Would attending any of the law firm receptions be useful? If we are interested in corporate/transactional, would taking a summer course in valuation or corporate finance, or doing some kind of financial modelling seminar, be helpful (signalling that we understand financial statements better than a majority of our peers?).

Instead of taking summer courses, read the Wall Street Journal and Financial Times. They really won't care about you having a slight edge in finance if you don't already have WE or a degree in it. Knowing the current finance news will be a better signal of interest.

Also, go to the firm receptions because those are good ways to have something to talk about in an interview, but also do informational interviews by calling alumni and asking if you can meet with them to learn about their firm and practice. That will be a good signal in the interview that you are really interested in their firm.

SHANbangs

Postby SHANbangs » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:46 pm

when should we be mass-mailing firms, assuming OCI for our school begins first week of August?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:03 am

are you still hopeful? I'm probably more bitter...

some alums have told me that last week of June, first week of July is what we should be shooting for.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:06 am

LawIdiot86 wrote:
SHANbangs wrote:Now that exams are over and pretty much everything is set in stone (grades, summer jerb, school prestige), what are some non-tactical ways for 1Ls going into this summer to max their chances at OCI? We know it's important to interview prep like a boss, and we know it's important to network and mass mail. Would attending any of the law firm receptions be useful? If we are interested in corporate/transactional, would taking a summer course in valuation or corporate finance, or doing some kind of financial modelling seminar, be helpful (signalling that we understand financial statements better than a majority of our peers?).

Instead of taking summer courses, read the Wall Street Journal and Financial Times. They really won't care about you having a slight edge in finance if you don't already have WE or a degree in it. Knowing the current finance news will be a better signal of interest.

Also, go to the firm receptions because those are good ways to have something to talk about in an interview, but also do informational interviews by calling alumni and asking if you can meet with them to learn about their firm and practice. That will be a good signal in the interview that you are really interested in their firm.

Summer courses bumped my GPA .24. And then I got my offers from massmailing with new GPA.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:07 am

LawIdiot86 wrote:

This is terrible advice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:

Summer courses bumped my GPA .24. And then I got my offers from massmailing with new GPA.

That advice would have been awesome before I started my summer internship... Anyways next years 1Ls looking at the thread will benefit.

I thought that I would put this question out there: Have any of you met alums who were below median? The only ones who seem to do the mentor program that I can find are the 25% law review types and their advice really isn't helpful. Has anyone talked to someone who graduated in the past few years below median who helped you hustle? Shoot I haven't even met any old alums who weren't on law review. Where are the other 75% of the alums?!?!

SHANbangs

Postby SHANbangs » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:

!@#*&!#(*&!@#*&@!#&!@^#!@#^ I THINK THAT WAS THE STRAW THAT BROKE THE CAMEL'S BACK FOR ME. good god. oh well, carry on, keep hustlin.

AllDangle

Postby AllDangle » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:24 pm

Tag

Return to “Legal Employment”