Just out of morbid curiosity, are there any 3ls with jobs...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
timbs4339

Re: Just out of morbid curiosity, are there any 3ls with jobs...

Postby timbs4339 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:28 pm

3L here. Attend CLS and didn't get a biglaw SA. That was extremely stressful and probably contributed heavily to a lot of health problems in the intervening two years. I've been lucky to get a "JD preferred" offer that starts out low six figures + bonus and so will be on track to repay loans in 3-4 years which is what I hoped for coming in. I will most likely have to give up being a lawyer, which is just fine by me.

Would I do it again? On the one hand I definitely could not have got my current offer without the signaling factor of having an elite law school on my resume. On the other hand I turned down a full-scholarship to NW (with the condition that I work one year) for a half-scholarship to CLS. I graduated from a pretty mediocre state school and doubt I could have found anything to do that year paying more than minimum wage so I figured the extra year of lawyer salary was worth it. I am not someone who would have had other decent options like many of my classmates (paradoxically something that hurt me during EIP). Nevertheless, if I could do it over again I would have gladly worked minimum wage and put another year between myself and the truly awful experiences of the 2010 and 2011 classes.
Last edited by timbs4339 on Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

legends159

Postby legends159 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:54 pm

I wouldn't change a thing for 3 simple reasons.

1. Law school has been more fun than I could ever image. Yeah 1L year was tough but after that it was smooth sailing. It's almost like being on a 2 year vacation, without the nagging feeling that I'm not being productive. I spend twice as much time playing tennis/golf/working out/socializing than I do on school work and I doubt I'm in the minority. And while you're chilling for those two years you know you have a job upon graduation. That is the best feeling in the world.

2. I've met amazing people at the law school and other graduate schools such as the b-school, med school and engineering department. These people will be in my network forever and some day our paths may cross.

3. I get to start work in a respectable profession. You're not starting off at some entry level job. You're going into a highly esteemed profession where you make $160K right off the bat. You can dump on lawyers all you want and moan and groan about the work, but you're a lawyer who makes more money as a 1st year than most people can ever achieve in their career. My dad has worked for the same company for over 15 years and he still hasn't cracked $50K a year. I look at most of my friends from college and the ones who went straight to work are all considering or in grad school by now. The ones who didn't always complain about what they call their "shitty job" and "shitty pay" on facebook. I would probably be one of those people if I didn't do LS.

TD;LR: Very happy with my decision to attend law school. Wouldn't change a thing. Also wouldn't recommend it to everyone.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:05 pm

It would be great to get more perspectives from people who aren't working biglaw or other prestigious jobs. What about people who went and are now working for 40-50K (how the other half lives)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:21 pm

I'm at CCN, top-third. I'm doing a state trial court clerkship. I'm not sure whether I'd do it again, but I'd certainly have taken time off before law school. People with experience seem to do much better in the job search process.

jetsetter12

Postby jetsetter12 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:16 pm

timbs4339 wrote:It would be great to get more perspectives from people who aren't working biglaw or other prestigious jobs. What about people who went and are now working for 40-50K (how the other half lives)?

+1

Postby 071816 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:18 pm

legends159 wrote:Law school has been more fun than I could ever image. Yeah 1L year was tough but after that it was smooth sailing. It's almost like being on a 2 year vacation, without the nagging feeling that I'm not being productive. I spend twice as much time playing tennis/golf/working out/socializing than I do on school work and I doubt I'm in the minority. And while you're chilling for those two years you know you have a job upon graduation. That is the best feeling in the world.

Ah, the wonders of attending Stanford.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:27 pm

timbs4339 wrote:I've been lucky to get a "JD preferred" offer that starts out low six figures + bonus and so will be on track to repay loans in 3-4 years which is what I hoped for coming in. I will most likely have to give up being a lawyer, which is just fine by me.

TBF: Most people would take this over a big law job any day depending on the hours.

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:46 pm

legends159 wrote:I wouldn't change a thing for 3 simple reasons.

1. Law school has been more fun than I could ever image.

stopped reading here :lol:

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:19 am

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:

It hasn't been "fun" for me, but it's a lot more "fun" than working.

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:14 am

r6_philly wrote:
Julio_El_Chavo wrote:

Same for me, but he said it was more fun than he could ever image [sic]. I can imagine a lot of things that would be more fun than law school.

DrGuano

Postby DrGuano » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:06 am

sharkweek wrote:ITT= in this thread

Wow, what a boring acronym. That was a disappointment.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:00 am

timbs4339 wrote:3L here. Attend CLS and didn't get a biglaw SA. That was extremely stressful and probably contributed heavily to a lot of health problems in the intervening two years. I've been lucky to get a "JD preferred" offer that starts out low six figures + bonus and so will be on track to repay loans in 3-4 years which is what I hoped for coming in. I will most likely have to give up being a lawyer, which is just fine by me.

Would I do it again? On the one hand I definitely could not have got my current offer without the signaling factor of having an elite law school on my resume. On the other hand I turned down a full-scholarship to NW (with the condition that I work one year) for a half-scholarship to CLS. I graduated from a pretty mediocre state school and doubt I could have found anything to do that year paying more than minimum wage so I figured the extra year of lawyer salary was worth it. I am not someone who would have had other decent options like many of my classmates (paradoxically something that hurt me during EIP). Nevertheless, if I could do it over again I would have gladly worked minimum wage and put another year between myself and the truly awful experiences of the 2010 and 2011 classes.

timbs — glad to hear things worked out for you.

I think a lot of people in this thread and in general forget that most law students are not choosing between careers in I-banking, medicine, and engineering. I was an English major at a decent school but not one where I could parlay a degree into a job at McKinsey or Goldman. Clearly I was not going to get an MD or an engineering masters with my high-school level science and math skills. BigLaw will pay me more money than I ever thought I would make at any point in my life. I don't know yet if it will be worth it, but I think that legal research and writing and reviewing documents and stuff can range from moderately boring to engaging and I think it's pretty amazing that someone wants to pay me so much to do it. There are certainly people in law school with science or math or technical backgrounds who could be doing other things, but I think I am more the typical case. The debt is still a massive downside, but at the top end of the profession, I think that law remains the most lucrative career for someone like me. Hopefully I will not want to kill myself in addition.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:55 am

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:3L here. Attend CLS and didn't get a biglaw SA. That was extremely stressful and probably contributed heavily to a lot of health problems in the intervening two years. I've been lucky to get a "JD preferred" offer that starts out low six figures + bonus and so will be on track to repay loans in 3-4 years which is what I hoped for coming in. I will most likely have to give up being a lawyer, which is just fine by me.

I think a lot of people in this thread and in general forget that most law students are not choosing between careers in I-banking, medicine, and engineering. I was an English major at a decent school but not one where I could parlay a degree into a job at McKinsey or Goldman. Clearly I was not going to get an MD or an engineering masters with my high-school level science and math skills. BigLaw will pay me more money than I ever thought I would make at any point in my life. I don't know yet if it will be worth it, but I think that legal research and writing and reviewing documents and stuff can range from moderately boring to engaging and I think it's pretty amazing that someone wants to pay me so much to do it. There are certainly people in law school with science or math or technical backgrounds who could be doing other things, but I think I am more the typical case. The debt is still a massive downside, but at the top end of the profession, I think that law remains the most lucrative career for someone like me. Hopefully I will not want to kill myself in addition.

For those of you who have had this choice, what would you choose between attending a T40 with a named scholarship and no debt (full tuition + books) and attending a T14 with about $120,000 in debt? So the first option there's no financial pressure, but I have a less prestigious JD; the latter is some financial pressure, a better JD, but still no guarantee I will want to do big law for many years. The latter leaves open the possibility of legal academia, the former leaves open the possibility of better quality of live (prosecutor, midlaw, in house counsel) without worrying about the debt. The schools are William & Mary and UVA. I'm an older student (32; and have phd in history) and my choices now are basically teach high school ($45-50k per year) or follow this path. I live in VA now, and would be happy to practice in state...

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:

For those of you who have had this choice, what would you choose between attending a T40 with a named scholarship and no debt (full tuition + books) and attending a T14 with about $120,000 in debt? So the first option there's no financial pressure, but I have a less prestigious JD; the latter is some financial pressure, a better JD, but still no guarantee I will want to do big law for many years. The latter leaves open the possibility of legal academia, the former leaves open the possibility of better quality of live (prosecutor, midlaw, in house counsel) without worrying about the debt. The schools are William & Mary and UVA. I'm an older student (32; and have phd in history) and my choices now are basically teach high school ($45-50k per year) or follow this path. I live in VA now, and would be happy to practice in state...

You should start a thread and let people advise you. They may not see your question buried in here. I'm starting to want to tell everyone to not take on 6 figures of debt for any school. But you should get some advice from other people who had to make the same decision you are facing. I'm sure many of them chose UVA.

moose

Postby moose » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For those of you who have had this choice, what would you choose between attending a T40 with a named scholarship and no debt (full tuition + books) and attending a T14 with about $120,000 in debt? So the first option there's no financial pressure, but I have a less prestigious JD; the latter is some financial pressure, a better JD, but still no guarantee I will want to do big law for many years. The latter leaves open the possibility of legal academia, the former leaves open the possibility of better quality of live (prosecutor, midlaw, in house counsel) without worrying about the debt. The schools are William & Mary and UVA. I'm an older student (32; and have phd in history) and my choices now are basically teach high school ($45-50k per year) or follow this path. I live in VA now, and would be happy to practice in state...

I didn't exactly have this choice,...but I did turn down UVA @ sticker because I didn't think it was worth the debt. It worked out for me in the end because I subsequently got a full ride to a T10 B-school.....so that validated my decision as the right one for me. Is B-school an option for you? If you're a reasonably good test taker (GMAT is way easier than LSAT IMO) and you're interested in business I strongly suggest applying to B-school,..especially since you're 32 and probably have decent work experience.

If its strictly between UVA and W&M,....its definitely UVA.

ktafive

Postby ktafive » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:04 pm

rayiner wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:
jetsetter12 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I would fo sho forgo law school if i could redo this. probably gmat it up and go to b school. party hard, study little, make mad money (if you go to a good school) and chillllllllllllllllllllllllll. Not that this couldn't describe law school (except for the study little part), but i think that makes it all better looking back on how I've spent the last three years. GTFO if you can 0L's looking through this forum...

yikes

Here are some of the reasons b-school is superior to law school

1. If you go to the top law schools (MVPBDCNG), you still have a long-shot chance of getting a job that will pay off your loans, this isn't the case in top b-schools.

2. B-school is 18 months to two years. That's a lower cost of tuition and a lower opportunity cost in lost income.

3. Law school prepares you for one thing; passing law school exams and papers. It also marks your resume that you can only do legal things. B-school at least leaves you capable of entering a multitude of industries without people second-guessing your intentions.

4. In law school, especially top law schools, they pretend they are teaching the law and how to think like a lawyer. This has very very little connection to what you actually do as a lawyer (clinics aside), so unless you go to a big firm that will train you, you have little value. In b-school they prep you to actually do what a first year analyst or consultant or entrepreneur does, so you leave with actual skills.

5. There are no bar exams, state bar commissions/associations, and MRPC that tie your hands from performing certain lucrative and legal things (like selling a share of your business to a non-practitioner).

6. While you can go to b-school and get a shitty job; b-schools don't have the bizarre bi-modal salary distribution that law does where it's biglaw or bust.

7. With an MBA/MS, you can start in a shitty job out of b-school and work your way up lateraling or leaving to found your own company or switching industries. In law, it's almost impossible to crack into biglaw unless you started there or had fed honors. Law has far fewer roads that lead to lucrative salaries compared to the business world.

The flip side is:

1) Even at an M7 b-school, you're not coming out making as much money as big law. The jobs that pay comparably or more than big law are in finance and consulting, and getting into finance depends a lot on your pre-law background. And outside of HSW, there are not a whole lot of people going into finance even from the M7.

Check out the JD-MBA stats at Northwestern (whose B-school is M7 and law school is T-14): http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/jdm ... tstats.htm

In 2007, more JD-MBA's chose to go into law than either consulting or finance. When finance collapsed, the large majority of the class went into law.

2) Even at an M7 school, a large percentage of the class has trouble finding employment. Check out the employment report at Kellogg: http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/Pro ... 0E335.ashx. Only 75% reported their job acceptance.

3) The jobs out of B-school that do pay comparably to law (consulting and finance) are just as stressful. Finance is more hours overall, and the travel involved in consulting is soul-sucking. A lawyer might feel guilty for coming home at midnight, but at least he's not in some god forsaken small town in the middle of nowhere giving a powerpoint presentation.

4) The jobs out of B-school that do pay comparably to law have similar up-or-out structures. Whereas law firms will generally let you stick around until you're rejected for partnership (if you can put in the hours), banks and consulting firms start actively weeding out on merit in the first few years. And once you're out, you're not existing into $300k/year jobs. Now, jobs out of b-school have a substantial upside (F500 CEO's make more than law firm partners), but in-house salaries in law are comparable to management salaries in public companies.

Rayiner, you are right to some extent but bear in mind that a lot of B-School students from the top programs especially, tend to hold out till they find the job they want. In other words, they are very picky. I am a JD/MBA candidate and a lot of the folks in the B-School are still looking for jobs not because they didn't get any but more like they wanted something else. Also some folks in the JD/MBA program seemed to quit the JD part if they start with the MBA program. Those that continue with the JD are really interested in Law. My general advice really is work for 2-3 years before LS especially if you have a background in engineering and the sciences in general

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:46 am

3L here. I go to a T40 and am one of maybe a dozen people I know with a post-grad job lined up. None of my close friends have anything lined up or any real prospects, so I'll speak for them.

The vast, VAST majority of my friends really, really regret their decision to go to LS or at least would have done things different (lower-ranked schools with $, waited and saved up, waited in general, etc.). Almost all of them go to my school paying sticker and it just baffles me how any of them thought that was a smart decision (I got a full-ride and am still terrified of my debt that is 1/3-1/4 of theirs). I can't count how many times this semester I heard friends talk about how depressed they were not having anything lined up, how a number of them have just given up the thought of being a lawyer, how so many of them are dreading having to move back in with their parents when in their late 20s. I would say the majority of them would probably not have gone to school in hindsight. I feel badly for them, but I also just can't sympathize for their lack of truly researching and understanding what they were getting into. It's sad, really, and I've had to bite my tongue I don't know how many times when people complain about their debt and lack of future plans.

legends159

Postby legends159 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:46 am

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Julio_El_Chavo wrote:

Same for me, but he said it was more fun than he could ever image [sic]. I can imagine a lot of things that would be more fun than law school.

more fun than I could ever imagine law school to be. If you're not having fun as a 3L w/ a job secured you're doing it wrong.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:42 am

NinerFan wrote:
tedalbany wrote:
Julio_El_Chavo wrote:Really, we're all idiots for not going to med school. It's the one major field that has the whole monopoly thing figured out pretty well.

The most important thing to remember is there is no 'dream field'. There are plenty of downsides to the medical field; increasing red tape, less patient interaction with more hoops to jump through, rising costs and declining pay, the fact you don't earn decent money until you're close to 40, and you pretty much give up any hope of having a life before then... Many of them wish they had gone to law school, at least there they'd have the chance of making good money while still in their 20s.

Just find something you like and are good at, that would you wouldn't go crazy doing for the rest of your life, and stop worrying about stupid shit that won't end up mattering in the long run like money or prestige.

It's a grind in the beginning during residency, but afterwards if you go private practice, the hours are pretty good and the pay is good enough. I'm also jealous that primary care is, for my med school friends, the worst case scenario. They're gunning for surgery and the more prestigious specialities, but worst case scenario, they go into primary care and open up a private practice down the road. With law, especially big law, it seems like it's just a pure grind, even if you make it to the top.

Other good fields? Pharmacy and Dentistry seem pretty decent too, if 4 days a week my dentist works is any indication.

Pharmacy is just as fucked as law, now. Or almost as fucked. Too many new pharm schools open and it is increasingly hard to get a job out of pharmacy school.

I used to be a pharm major and got out once I found that the jobs were drying up. Funny that I ended up in fucking law school (talk about not learning the overall lesson). Either way, though, pharmacy is going to end up like law if they keep allowing them to open new schools.

Pharm used to be looked at as an easy, guaranteed job making over $100K. It's still a relatively easy job, but there is a lot more competition now. It seems there is a few new pharm schools opening every year. The market is simply becoming over-saturated which was never predicted. The big need for pharmacists really ruined the market.

NinerFan

Postby NinerFan » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
NinerFan wrote:
tedalbany wrote:
Julio_El_Chavo wrote:Really, we're all idiots for not going to med school. It's the one major field that has the whole monopoly thing figured out pretty well.

The most important thing to remember is there is no 'dream field'. There are plenty of downsides to the medical field; increasing red tape, less patient interaction with more hoops to jump through, rising costs and declining pay, the fact you don't earn decent money until you're close to 40, and you pretty much give up any hope of having a life before then... Many of them wish they had gone to law school, at least there they'd have the chance of making good money while still in their 20s.

Just find something you like and are good at, that would you wouldn't go crazy doing for the rest of your life, and stop worrying about stupid shit that won't end up mattering in the long run like money or prestige.

It's a grind in the beginning during residency, but afterwards if you go private practice, the hours are pretty good and the pay is good enough. I'm also jealous that primary care is, for my med school friends, the worst case scenario. They're gunning for surgery and the more prestigious specialities, but worst case scenario, they go into primary care and open up a private practice down the road. With law, especially big law, it seems like it's just a pure grind, even if you make it to the top.

Other good fields? Pharmacy and Dentistry seem pretty decent too, if 4 days a week my dentist works is any indication.

Pharmacy is just as fucked as law, now. Or almost as fucked. Too many new pharm schools open and it is increasingly hard to get a job out of pharmacy school.

I used to be a pharm major and got out once I found that the jobs were drying up. Funny that I ended up in fucking law school (talk about not learning the overall lesson). Either way, though, pharmacy is going to end up like law if they keep allowing them to open new schools.

Pharm used to be looked at as an easy, guaranteed job making over $100K. It's still a relatively easy job, but there is a lot more competition now. It seems there is a few new pharm schools opening every year. The market is simply becoming over-saturated which was never predicted. The big need for pharmacists really ruined the market.
''

So, over saturated, but easy, whereas law is both not easy and over saturated?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:24 pm

NinerFan wrote:So, over saturated, but easy, whereas law is both not easy and over saturated?

Pretty much. Pharmacy is not a difficult career. The most difficult thing is dealing with the amount of boredom that you experience on a day-to-day basis. I pharm teched for two years with two different places and both pharmacists gave me the same view: Their job was easy, payed well, but was boring as watching paint dry.

A lot of continuing ed, too.

ruski

Postby ruski » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:33 pm

while i agree pharmacy is getting oversaturated it is def not as bad as law. i know plenty of pharm grads still getting jobs now. there is almost no upward mobility though, they make in the low 100s pretty much forever. unless you want to get into management where it can get into the mid-100s.

the best bet is really dentistry. they have awesome hours, and pull in anywhere from 250k and up. expect more if you put in a an extra couple years for orthodontistry. the ones i know are living pretty well, one has his own small plane, takes awesome vacations, etc.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:41 pm

ruski wrote:while i agree pharmacy is getting oversaturated it is def not as bad as law. i know plenty of pharm grads still getting jobs now. there is almost no upward mobility though, they make in the low 100s pretty much forever. unless you want to get into management where it can get into the mid-100s.

the best bet is really dentistry. they have awesome hours, and pull in anywhere from 250k and up. expect more if you put in a an extra couple years for orthodontistry. the ones i know are living pretty well, one has his own small plane, takes awesome vacations, etc.

Whenever I see things like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Carolina_University_School_of_Dental_Medicine (2006) and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_University_of_Health_Sciences (2009) as new dental schools, I want to take out advertisements in the dentistry literature screaming "NO, DON'T LET PEOPLE DO WHAT MY PROFESSION DID!"
Last edited by LawIdiot86 on Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:10 pm

So basically this whole thread can be summed up with:

if you have a job, you dont (usually) regret it

if you dont have a job, you'll regret it.

prozach1576

Postby prozach1576 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:11 pm

T50 3L with a PMF job lined up here. Law school was a pretty terrible idea for me since I now have six figures of debt and I'm not even going to be a lawyer.

On the other hand, I majored in engineering in undergrad. Had I followed that path, I'd have no debt and would be making similar money at this point in my life, but I'd also be working for some soulless company somewhere on the outskirts of a godforsaken sunbelt city. I would not have a clear path of career advancement before me. I'd probably be miserable. Now I am encumbered with massive debt, but I have a promising career before me, I get to live in a major city, and I will have a lot of geographic flexibility when and if I want to leave the federal government.

Essentially I got lucky despite making the objectively awful decision to go to law school. I regret it, but I'm going to come out of it relatively unharmed.

Return to “Legal Employment”