hard to pronounce asian name - name change for legal hiring?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
FantasticMrFox

Re: hard to pronounce asian name - name change for legal hiring?

Postby FantasticMrFox » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:41 pm

I'd change it, mainly to make it easier for others if I had a name that was hard to pronounce. You are going to be a lawyer, so I don't think molding to what's expected for the benefit of others would be too out of the ordinary. But, don't change it to a name that's too plain.

Anonymous User

Re: hard to pronounce asian name - name change for legal hiring?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:29 pm

Just wanted to pop in once more (I'm one of the people who changed my name to an Anglo/English/common first name, and made a short form of my old foreign first name into my middle name).

I do hope you change your name for one other reason: it actually improves your interaction with other people. Your introductions are smoother. Your ability to leave a message on the phone improves. You feel more a "part of" when your name doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. The transition can be tough for a bit if you're still around a lot of people who knew you before, but it is totally worth it, still.

Return to “Legal Employment”