PT Student Losing Job - next steps?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
LS-boundNYC
Posts: 227
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:58 pm

PT Student Losing Job - next steps?

Postby LS-boundNYC » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:05 pm

I'm a PT 1L at Fordham, and I just found out that I'm going to be laid off from my job of two years. I didn't see it coming. I took PT at Fordham so that I could continue working and to pay my way through school. The job didn't really fit into a legal career, as it was communications and development-oriented at a non-profit. The best part was that it was flexible enough that I could take leaves of absence during the summer to get legal experience.

So what do I do now? Paralegal? More communications or development stuff? Temp?

How will future employers view this, especially if I end up with a job where I can't get summers off? I'm kind of freaking out now, and could use the collective wisdom of this site ...

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: PT Student Losing Job - next steps?

Postby dingbat » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:29 am

LS-boundNYC wrote:I'm a PT 1L at Fordham, and I just found out that I'm going to be laid off from my job of two years. I didn't see it coming. I took PT at Fordham so that I could continue working and to pay my way through school. The job didn't really fit into a legal career, as it was communications and development-oriented at a non-profit. The best part was that it was flexible enough that I could take leaves of absence during the summer to get legal experience.

So what do I do now? Paralegal? More communications or development stuff? Temp?

How will future employers view this, especially if I end up with a job where I can't get summers off? I'm kind of freaking out now, and could use the collective wisdom of this site ...

Lets start by saying you'll need to borrow a lot more money. Can you borrow enough to cover COL?

I know it's not your original plan, but you might want to consider contacting admissions, explaining your situation and asking if you can be put on the waitlist for full-time

Beyond that: get a job. Any job. (I assume) you need the money.
Employers will understand that there are a lot of layoffs happening now so that shouldn't be a major concern.

LS-boundNYC
Posts: 227
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:58 pm

Re: PT Student Losing Job - next steps?

Postby LS-boundNYC » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:44 am

dingbat wrote:
LS-boundNYC wrote:I'm a PT 1L at Fordham, and I just found out that I'm going to be laid off from my job of two years. I didn't see it coming. I took PT at Fordham so that I could continue working and to pay my way through school. The job didn't really fit into a legal career, as it was communications and development-oriented at a non-profit. The best part was that it was flexible enough that I could take leaves of absence during the summer to get legal experience.

So what do I do now? Paralegal? More communications or development stuff? Temp?

How will future employers view this, especially if I end up with a job where I can't get summers off? I'm kind of freaking out now, and could use the collective wisdom of this site ...

Lets start by saying you'll need to borrow a lot more money. Can you borrow enough to cover COL?

I know it's not your original plan, but you might want to consider contacting admissions, explaining your situation and asking if you can be put on the waitlist for full-time

Beyond that: get a job. Any job. (I assume) you need the money.
Employers will understand that there are a lot of layoffs happening now so that shouldn't be a major concern.


The whole point was to minimize debt. I know I'll be able to get some sort of work, as I have several well-connected people "interested in my career," to put it bluntly. I guess I'm looking at a more long-term, legal career perspective ... is there a "best case scenario" for someone whose background is in non-profit work? Can I do anything to help my legal career, or if I just bide my time with any gig that pays the bills, am I ok?

User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: PT Student Losing Job - next steps?

Postby paratactical » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:23 am

Do not take a paralegal job in NYC. You are required to do as much overtime as they want you to do; you will not be given the option to take time off during summer to intern elsewhere. You want a secretarial gig if you're looking at law firm work.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: PT Student Losing Job - next steps?

Postby 2014 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:21 am

Laid off or fired?

If you stay PT can you get funemployment?

LS-boundNYC
Posts: 227
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:58 pm

Re: PT Student Losing Job - next steps?

Postby LS-boundNYC » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:41 am

2014 wrote:Laid off or fired?

If you stay PT can you get funemployment?


Laid off - I would be able to get funemployment (that sounds nice right now!) but ultimately I have to explain myself to future employers. So while that will be nice to cushion the blow for a while, It can't be a long term solution.

I also have an unpaid internship lined up for this summer, under the assumption that I'd be taking a leave of absence. So that makes it hard to look for a job now when I'm not even free to work until August. (I also don't know how unpaid internships work with funemployment...)




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.