George Washington employment rate

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
john25

George Washington employment rate

Postby john25 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:13 pm

I was looking at US News rankings and it states that George Washington employment rate at graduation is 56.1%. Why is this rate so low? It is ranked 20th in the country so I imagine rates would be higher. Also many lower ranked schools have higher employment rates so I am surprised this is the case.

George Washington (56.1% employment, ranked 20): http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... hool-03031
Notre Dame (85.5% employment, ranked 22): http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... hool-03056
Boston University (82.2% employment, ranked 26): http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... -law-03073

Julio_El_Chavo

Re: George Washington employment rate

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:14 pm

USNews rankings are bullshit once you're out of the top 14 or so schools. Pretty much any school outside of the T14 is a risky bet and you shouldn't be surprised if they jump up and down wildly in the rankings and have highly variable employment stats from year to year.
Last edited by Julio_El_Chavo on Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:16 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:32 pm

john25 wrote:I was looking at US News rankings and it states that George Washington employment rate at graduation is 56.1%. Why is this rate so low? It is ranked 20th in the country so I imagine rates would be higher. Also many lower ranked schools have higher employment rates so I am surprised this is the case.

George Washington (56.1% employment, ranked 20): http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... hool-03031
Notre Dame (85.5% employment, ranked 22): http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... hool-03056
Boston University (82.2% employment, ranked 26): http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... -law-03073

The only penalty for being caught lying on USNWR reporting is being knocked down in the rankings, but USNWR is self-reported, so unless you self-report your own lying or are caught by someone else (Nova, UIUC, St. Thomas, etc.), there is no penalty. Then it becomes a question of how much you think you can get away with and still keep a straight face.

anonymcoffee

Postby anonymcoffee » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:03 pm

GW is shit - don't attend.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:13 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Julio_El_Chavo wrote:USNews rankings are bullshit.

This.

lawschoolftw

Postby lawschoolftw » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:10 pm

lol GW is not shit, the legal economy is shit. If you borrow 200k hoping to roll the dice and get biglaw then yeah GW isn't your best bet but then again outside of the top 10 it's probably not a smart decision. like any school, know the risks have reasonable expectations and work hard to your goals. FWIW I'm a 2L.

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:21 pm

lawschoolftw wrote:lol GW is not shit, the legal economy is shit. If you borrow 200k hoping to roll the dice and get biglaw then yeah GW isn't your best bet but then again outside of the top 10 it's probably not a smart decision. like any school, know the risks have reasonable expectations and work hard to your goals. FWIW I'm a 2L.

A 2L at GW?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:39 pm

SilverE2 wrote:
lawschoolftw wrote:lol GW is not shit, the legal economy is shit. If you borrow 200k hoping to roll the dice and get biglaw then yeah GW isn't your best bet but then again outside of the top 10 it's probably not a smart decision. like any school, know the risks have reasonable expectations and work hard to your goals. FWIW I'm a 2L.

A 2L at GW?

I am. You'll find varying degrees of satisfaction wrt the job search - as you will at all law schools.

lawschoolftw

Postby lawschoolftw » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
SilverE2 wrote:

A 2L at GW?

I am. You'll find varying degrees of satisfaction wrt the job search - as you will at all law schools.

yes, I'm at a 2L at GW. I'm not saying its the best school in the country. But, sometimes people come in with unreasonable expectations because they didn't do their research. This can be said about all law schools. I'm not saying its perfect or I didn't wish things were better, but it is largely a product of the job market, something people should have been well aware of before they came in.

Return to “Legal Employment”