How to decline a summer job after accepting

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How to decline a summer job after accepting

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:11 pm

So I just was offered a position in my top choice market, but had already previously accepted a summer position in a much smaller secondary market which I have no ties to personally in the same state.

I obviously feel very bad choosing to decline an offer after accepting it, but as this is my 2L summer, I feel very compelled to take the one in my top choice market. I only accepted the original position as it was a nearby secondary market (3 hours away), but the offer I just received is basically close to my dream job.

How can I most politely decline the offer I already accepted?
-My family and personal ties are also located in my first market, pay is about the same in both jobs.

Thanks

LawIdiot86

Re: How to decline a summer job after accepting

Postby LawIdiot86 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I just was offered a position in my top choice market, but had already previously accepted a summer position in a much smaller secondary market which I have no ties to personally in the same state.

I obviously feel very bad choosing to decline an offer after accepting it, but as this is my 2L summer, I feel very compelled to take the one in my top choice market. I only accepted the original position as it was a nearby secondary market (3 hours away), but the offer I just received is basically close to my dream job.

How can I most politely decline the offer I already accepted?
-My family and personal ties are also located in my first market, pay is about the same in both jobs.

Thanks

Is splitting not an option? What about turning one into a semester-internship?

MrPapagiorgio

Re: How to decline a summer job after accepting

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:42 pm

I just had to do the same thing. I did it over the phone as I felt an e-mail would make me look weak, considering what I was doing. Tell the truth. There are very few ways to say "Thanks for the offer, but I've found something better" without sounding like an ungrateful asshole. But if you are up front and tell them that a more feasible and practical option was presented to you, if the person is reasonable, he will understand.

This is your 2L summer. Custom dictates that your position over 2L summer has a good chance at turning into a position after graduation. Be polite and apologetic, but don't hold out on a better job just because you feel bad about turning down a previously accepted position. And do it quickly, like no later than tomorrow. It is professional courtesy to give the firm enough time to find somebody else.

Return to “Legal Employment”