RA given credit on published articles Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

RA given credit on published articles

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:31 pm

If you are an RA and were given credit for articles you helped get published, does this go anywhere on your resume?

patrickd139

Gold

Re: RA given credit on published articles

Post by patrickd139 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you are an RA and were given credit for articles you helped get published, does this go anywhere on your resume?
Are you a named author? (I'm not talking about "Thanks to these poor schmucks who slaved away" in a footnote.)

If Y: Put it on resume with full cite (including your professor's name with yours)
If N: Put on resume that you were an RA, but do not put that you were published; because you weren't.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:03 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If you are an RA and were given credit for articles you helped get published, does this go anywhere on your resume?
Are you a named author? (I'm not talking about "Thanks to these poor schmucks who slaved away" in a footnote.)

If Y: Put it on resume with full cite (including your professor's name with yours)
If N: Put on resume that you were an RA, but do not put that you were published; because you weren't.
In a LR article, im just in a footnote, and i know that doesnt go anywhere. But what i'm talking about is a monthly column in a law journal. I help write/edit them, and at the end of each column I am mentioned as assisting in publication of the column. I don't think this means I am published or an author, I guess i can just mention it in the description of my RA position. I guess this was a dumb question, haha.

cantaboot

Bronze

Post by cantaboot » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:17 pm

put publication assistant and perhaps a few words on the duties.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:24 pm

I think mentioning your role as RA in the firm's biography is sufficient. I see some attorneys mention the book written by their professors .... etc.

do you think this is excessive and looks like the student /graduate is trying to take credit?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lobolawyer

Bronze

Post by lobolawyer » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:31 pm

patrickd139 wrote:

I almost shot milk from my nose laughing when I read this. /s/ a poor schmuck.

Geist13

Silver

Post by Geist13 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:04 pm

Only put it if its something that was actually published (basically by a law review or other school journal) AND you share authorship with the professor in the publication, e.g. David Smith & Frank Jackson, This Article Totally Blows, 45 Harv. L. Rev. 1900 (2012).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:45 pm

Yes. Put the cite to it under the title, e.g., "RA for Prof. Dude. Conducted research for Prof. Dude's article, Title, Cite."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”