Quinn Reception

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Quinn Reception

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:40 am

Did anyone go to one of these recently? what did you think of the model? and what did people wear?

Bildungsroman

Re: Quinn Reception

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:43 am

I went. I thought it was pretty kewl; there was good food and wine and the partners I talked with were very pleasant. I don't know if its a viable substitute for OCI, which is a determination that I suppose Quinn will have to make at the end of this recruiting season. Lots of people people went business casual, although there were plenty of people (like myself) who went casual.

Why do you ask?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:09 am

What would keep myself, as a 2L, from crashing these things and enjoying the free food/booze? Is there a sign-up or RSVP list? If not, I'm going.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What would keep myself, as a 2L, from crashing these things and enjoying the free food/booze? Is there a sign-up or RSVP list? If not, I'm going.

You are supposed to RSVP, but a number of people were signing in at the door who hadn't RSVP'd. There were so many people at the Chicago one that you could have just enjoyed the food/booze without ever talking to a QE attorney.

That said, I think it's obnoxious and unprofessional to crash the event. It will be crowded enough with just 1Ls who need jobs, no need to be a jerk and make it worse.

NinerFan

Postby NinerFan » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:11 pm

bdubs wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What would keep myself, as a 2L, from crashing these things and enjoying the free food/booze? Is there a sign-up or RSVP list? If not, I'm going.

You are supposed to RSVP, but a number of people were signing in at the door who hadn't RSVP'd. There were so many people at the Chicago one that you could have just enjoyed the food/booze without ever talking to a QE attorney.

That said, I think it's obnoxious and unprofessional to crash the event. It will be crowded enough with just 1Ls who need jobs, no need to be a jerk and make it worse.

Eh, if they don't talk to a QE attorney, how are they making it worse?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:42 pm

NinerFan wrote:
bdubs wrote:

There was a limited amount of space to move, let alone talk to QE attorneys.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:44 pm

bdubs wrote:
NinerFan wrote:
bdubs wrote:

There was a limited amount of space to move, let alone talk to QE attorneys.

So, as expected there were way way too many ultra-type A personalities trying to leap in front of the laughably few Quinn lawyers vaguely trying to remember details like "the smart kid with the ugly tie"?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:31 pm

bdubs wrote:

The people who are going to get callbacks from Quinn aren't the 1L's who are going to "need" jobs later in the hiring process.

I was curious to know if this reception was any different than any of the other 1L receptions (where jobs weren't on the line) in terms of what your interactions with Quinn associates and partners were like, were they more substantive than others or was it the same impersonal small talk that usually happens at these things. I still feel like this is just a way for Quinn to get around top law schools' insistence on random screener interview allotment at OCI and just go straight to picking people for callbacks based on grades/resumes...

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bdubs wrote:

The people who are going to get callbacks from Quinn aren't the 1L's who are going to "need" jobs later in the hiring process.

I was curious to know if this reception was any different than any of the other 1L receptions (where jobs weren't on the line) in terms of what your interactions with Quinn associates and partners were like, were they more substantive than others or was it the same impersonal small talk that usually happens at these things. I still feel like this is just a way for Quinn to get around top law schools' insistence on random screener interview allotment at OCI and just go straight to picking people for callbacks based on grades/resumes...

I had a friend in the bottom half of his T14 who knew he was going to strike out at OCI, so he used all his bid for V10 and V25 firms. Scared the crap out of me that I had totally messed up my bidding strategy when I saw his interview schedule, until he said he was just doing it for laughs and to see their reactions in the interviews.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bdubs wrote:

I agree that a 1Ls interactions with QE attorneys isn't going to get him/her a callback. However, it's still relevant to those who are trying to evaluate a firm's intangible qualities to be able to speak with the people that they send to these things (which everyone knows is not a random sample). It's just bad form to crash this event as a 2L because you're cheap and inconsiderate.

The interactions were no different than at any other reception. They made a bigger point of collecting contact information from people that they spoke with, but I think that was just part of the recruiting image.

NinerFan

Postby NinerFan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:30 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
bdubs wrote:

I had a friend in the bottom half of his T14 who knew he was going to strike out at OCI, so he used all his bid for V10 and V25 firms. Scared the crap out of me that I had totally messed up my bidding strategy when I saw his interview schedule, until he said he was just doing it for laughs and to see their reactions in the interviews.

Some of my reach interviews were my most pleasant ones, since we both knew I wasn't getting the callback. Just a nice chat about sports, life when they were at the law school, etc. No serious questions.

ExAnt3

Postby ExAnt3 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:26 pm

NinerFan wrote:
Some of my reach interviews were my most pleasant ones, since we both knew I wasn't getting the callback. Just a nice chat about sports, life when they were at the law school, etc. No serious questions.

I hear you on this. Although I had a few where the partner looked at my transcript and said, "Any questions?" Awkward.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:31 pm

ExAnt3 wrote:
NinerFan wrote:

I hear you on this. Although I had a few where the partner looked at my transcript and said, "Any questions?" Awkward.

Some of my reach interviews turned into my offers.

NinerFan

Postby NinerFan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:42 pm

ExAnt3 wrote:
NinerFan wrote:

Well, that's why I said some :P

ExAnt3

Postby ExAnt3 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:46 pm

NinerFan wrote:
ExAnt3 wrote:
NinerFan wrote:

Well, that's why I said some :P

Haha truth. GO Giants! (sorry, couldn't resist- ending derail)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:48 pm

The Quinn associates that came to mine got hammered (which was pretty cool). Overall it was fun but you can tell they weren't really trying to make hiring decisions based off the event.

It was funny to watch the gunners buzz around the partners and associates who were more interested in drinking than talking. I made friends with one of the younger associates who told some funny stories. I don't have the grades for Quinn but it was an enjoyable experience overall.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bdubs wrote:

nvm

Borg

Postby Borg » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:27 pm

I don't really like this model. It sounds a lot like the banking recruiting I did this year, and that's a fucking miserable process. Fighting through a gigantic crowd to even pretend like it's possible to have a decent conversation so that you can collect business cards and get in some "face time" with a VP or MD. I hated that more than anything I've ever done recruiting wise. I find law school recruiting much simpler and better, and I would rather just do it through normal OCI than this thing.

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:10 pm

Disclaimer: I'm a 2L with a firm job at another firm.

I was going to go to the Quinn reception to check out what it was like and to get free food/beer. But my 1L friend texted me saying that they were requiring name-tags.

I didn't go.

But, in conclusion, I think QE's doing this to make themselves different than other firms in the eyes of the students. And different means that they are better. Somehow. I also heard they gave out flip-flops at the end of the night. So I'm not sure what that means, but I wish that I could wear flip-flops at my job.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:34 pm

desertlaw wrote:Disclaimer: I'm a 2L with a firm job at another firm.

I was going to go to the Quinn reception to check out what it was like and to get free food/beer. But my 1L friend texted me saying that they were requiring name-tags.

I didn't go.

But, in conclusion, I think QE's doing this to make themselves different than other firms in the eyes of the students. And different means that they are better. Somehow. I also heard they gave out flip-flops at the end of the night. So I'm not sure what that means, but I wish that I could wear flip-flops at my job.

They required name tags?! Lame. They should have invited everyone including 2Ls with summer jobs. We are potential laterals.

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:06 pm

Doritos wrote:
desertlaw wrote:Disclaimer: I'm a 2L with a firm job at another firm.

I didn't go.

They required name tags?! Lame. They should have invited everyone including 2Ls with summer jobs. We are potential laterals.

If I was a 1L female, I'd put that nametage right on my Gum Drops and let the QE attorneys offer me a job based on my 34 DD Butterballs.

Return to “Legal Employment”