Diversity Job Fairs Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Diversity Job Fairs

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:55 pm

I understand the purpose of diversity job fairs, but have always been curious as to whether non-diverse candidates can/should apply as well? Intuition tells me that there is little that can be done to prevent you from applying to the jobs. However, if a white dude applies, and gets interviews (under the guise of not being required to disclose his race/orientation), what is the likelihood that he would actually be considered among the ACTUALLY diverse candidates also being interviewed? No chance? Equal footing?

newyorker88

Silver

Re: Diversity Job Fairs

Post by newyorker88 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:04 pm

Why do you want to apply to a diversity job fair?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:09 pm

OP.

Some diversity fairs have a fair selection of Biglaw employers that collect resumes and interview choice candidates. It seems like a viable opportunity compared to mass-mail, mostly because you have a much better chance at getting some face time.

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:13 pm

I guess I should have been more specific. As a white male why do you want to apply to a diversity job fair?

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I understand the purpose of diversity job fairs, but have always been curious as to whether non-diverse candidates can/should apply as well? Intuition tells me that there is little that can be done to prevent you from applying to the jobs. However, if a white dude applies, and gets interviews (under the guise of not being required to disclose his race/orientation), what is the likelihood that he would actually be considered among the ACTUALLY diverse candidates also being interviewed? No chance? Equal footing?
you'll be considered as if you interviewed at the firm under any other setting. i've seen plenty of white folks (mainly women though, cause at least that is arguably a minority) at these job fairs. the advantage for you, though, isn't necessarily any "URM bump" but rather getting a bite at the apple prior to any school's OCI. that said, is it possible that you might rub some interviewers the wrong way by participating? definitely—seeing as how firms usually have their minority+women partners & associates do the interviewing at these events.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

monkey85

Bronze

Post by monkey85 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Intuition tells me that there is little that can be done to prevent you from applying to the jobs.
You are right. You can probably just attend them without question

And it's not a problem that you are some:
Anonymous User wrote:white dude
You could be a gay white dude, which still counts as minority.

However, if you do take this route and apply, despite not being a minority of any kind, it only reflects on your own character.

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:16 pm

Some fairs have explicit criteria

IBA uses "Diversity Statement: Please submit 1-5 sentences indicating why diversity in the legal field is important to you or why you are interested in participating in the IndyBar Diversity Job Fair"

BLG states "WHO: Law Students of Color selected by BLG Employers to interview at the 2012 BLG Job Fair"

RMDLCF uses "Please provide a brief statement describing how you are diverse"

HDLJF states "Who May Register: All 2L(Graduating in 2014) and 3L(Graduating in 2013) Law Students and Recent Law Grads (Graduating in 2012 )are invited to participate regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, marital status, age and veteran status."

Dupont states "Who can participate? DuPont and its Primary Law Firms have carefully selected the law schools whose students are invited to register for the job fairs. Only incoming 2L and 3L students actively enrolled in these schools at the time the job fairs are held (August 2012) may apply."

So, I think it varies among fairs. Once you get in the door, it depends on how open-minded the interviewer is. No one is going to be dumb enough to ask you "so you look pretty male and white, are you gay or disabled?", but you may get some strange looks depending on what the interviewer's perception of "diverse" means or what the target population of the fair is.

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:24 pm

f0bolous wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I understand the purpose of diversity job fairs, but have always been curious as to whether non-diverse candidates can/should apply as well? Intuition tells me that there is little that can be done to prevent you from applying to the jobs. However, if a white dude applies, and gets interviews (under the guise of not being required to disclose his race/orientation), what is the likelihood that he would actually be considered among the ACTUALLY diverse candidates also being interviewed? No chance? Equal footing?
you'll be considered as if you interviewed at the firm under any other setting. i've seen plenty of white folks (mainly women though, cause at least that is arguably a minority) at these job fairs. the advantage for you, though, isn't necessarily any "URM bump" but rather getting a bite at the apple prior to any school's OCI. that said, is it possible that you might rub some interviewers the wrong way by participating? definitely—seeing as how firms usually have their minority+women partners & associates do the interviewing at these events.
Eh, the super-majority (~80%) of my interviewers at these fairs were white. The majority were women as well (oddly no African-American women in about 20 diversity fair interview), so maybe that part is true.

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:24 pm

At the diversity fair I attended, the only person from my T1 to get CB/offers was a straight white guy. He maxed out on interviews and never got asked how he was "diverse." I'm pretty sure employers didn't care either.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dman

Bronze

Post by Dman » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:43 pm

Being diverse is more than sexual orientation and skin color. I would attend if you have the time, nothing to lose.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:41 am

are you joking me???! you white males dominate the legal field already, and you still want to take advantage of diversity fairs? unbelievable : )

thescienceguy

New

Post by thescienceguy » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:11 am

Last edited by thescienceguy on Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:32 am

Man. White people just won't let us have anything will they.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”