Lawyer without a license

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Veyron

Re: Lawyer without a license

Postby Veyron » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:06 pm

I will obviously defer to your actual life experience, it just seems to be the exception rather than the rule from my perspective interviewing (none of the midlaw firms I interviewed with relied on paralegals).

Agreed. My entire point is that no firm has really explored the full implications of this sort of model yet. I'm interested in the business side of practice so I like to try to think of novel approaches and get peoples' feedback on their viability in different applications.

Anonymous User

Re: Lawyer without a license

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:05 pm

shoeshine wrote:
Veyron wrote:You don't need to be a member of the bar to do most legal work. Why don't firms just hire a few lawyers to do courtroom work and speak to clients and then a bunch of bright folks without law degrees to research, write, and do fact gathering? I know of at least one firm where the paralegals do just these sorts of things bit I was wondering why the practice is not more widespread.

Because no one is going to pay 400-600 per billable hour for a non-lawyer, paralegal, or analyst to do their legal work.

/end thread

Actually, they might. I worked at a successful boutique where paralegals did substantive work, were billed out at several hundreds of dollars per hour, and were compensated at a very attractive rate (read: 6 figures incl. bonuses). It wouldn't work for every firm, but it does work for some. With the right combination of experience and skills, $400/hr wouldn't be unimaginably high.

Return to “Legal Employment”