How difficult is it to get.... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
skyline95

New

How difficult is it to get....

Post by skyline95 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:56 am

an offer to come back to a big firm as a 1L summer associate (for your second summer)?

I am currently have a 1L position lined up at a big firm in a city that I can see myself living in as an attorney. I wanted to know to know how likely is it that I will get an offer for a 2L position. Personal stories are welcomed if you know people who did or didn't get an offer. Advice on what they did or didn't do would be helpful.

Also, I was offered the position without disclosing my grades from a Top 10 school (think MVPB). Still not sure how that happened, but not going to ask any questions. The firm hasn't asked me for my grades so far and I don't see them asking in the future ( but I really don't know). My grades aren't bad, but I'm certainly not grading onto law review. I just wanted to know how much of a role my grades can play in whether or not I get an offer to come back next summer? Honestly, I've been very surprised by the offer I was given and it is sort of surreal. Just wanted to better understand what kind of situation that I am in.

TL;DR- how badly would I have to fuck up at a summer associate postion in order not to get an offer to come back AND now that I have an offer for 1L summer, are my grades going to determine whether or not I get a 2L offer from said firm?

shoeshine

Silver

Re: How difficult is it to get....

Post by shoeshine » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:54 am

I am in a similar position and I have asked this question a ton. I have talked to about 20 people that had 1L biglaw summer internships last year. All I can tell you is that it varies by firm. The consensus is that the firm will eventually ask for grades. Whether they take that into consideration in inviting you back for 2L summer definitely varies. The higher ranked firms definitely seem to care about grades.

Generally though your performance over the summer and the firm's general hiring policies dictate your chances of being asked back.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:17 am

Go on Nalp and see how many 2L SAs are prior 1L SAs. Then also account for some who had offer but did not return.

If they liked you during your 1L summer, then chances are good. If you end up being a bad fit, then it's probably your blessing to discover that during the first summer.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:24 pm

How big is the firm? How many offers did they give in that office last year?

Your best bet is to find a 2L or 3L who did their 1L summer there. Failing that you can ask a 3L who did their 2L summer there. If there is no one who has worked in that office of that firm, then NALP is going to be the best thing you've got.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:38 pm

Grades can still matter, but at this point, outside of getting better grades, you should focus 150% on busting a$$ this summer. Arrive early, stay late. Ask partners out to lunch. You really want to stand out from the other Associates as you will be ranked against your peers (whether formally or informally). If they like you and you had high quality work, then your grades (good or bad) will have little meaning...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:07 pm

sparty99 wrote:Arrive early, stay late. Ask partners out to lunch. You really want to stand out from the other Associates as you will be ranked against your peers (whether formally or informally). If they like you and you had high quality work, then your grades (good or bad) will have little meaning...
This is purely anecdotal, but I have to disagree somewhat. I had a 1L SA at a V20 firm in a major market city. There were several other 1Ls, and all of us got offers to return next summer. I arrived at normal times (8:30-9:00) and left at normal times (5:30-6:00). There was 1L who always stayed late just to impress everybody, and s/he was the closest of any of us to not getting an offer to come back, because (and I heard this from people working at the firm) everyone could see straight through his/her awkward gunning. That person tried to hard, and it was not impressive. Quality matters over quantity. Follow everyone else's cues, do a good job, and just try to act like a normal person they'd want to work with.

My impression is that it's very normal to get offers to come back. Everyone I know at my school who had a 1L SA will be returning to their firm (for at least a few weeks) this upcoming summer.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
sparty99 wrote:Arrive early, stay late. Ask partners out to lunch. You really want to stand out from the other Associates as you will be ranked against your peers (whether formally or informally). If they like you and you had high quality work, then your grades (good or bad) will have little meaning...
This is purely anecdotal, but I have to disagree somewhat. I had a 1L SA at a V20 firm in a major market city. There were several other 1Ls, and all of us got offers to return next summer. I arrived at normal times (8:30-9:00) and left at normal times (5:30-6:00). There was 1L who always stayed late just to impress everybody, and s/he was the closest of any of us to not getting an offer to come back, because (and I heard this from people working at the firm) everyone could see straight through his/her awkward gunning. That person tried to hard, and it was not impressive. Quality matters over quantity. Follow everyone else's cues, do a good job, and just try to act like a normal person they'd want to work with.

My impression is that it's very normal to get offers to come back. Everyone I know at my school who had a 1L SA will be returning to their firm (for at least a few weeks) this upcoming summer.
There's a big difference between "looking the part," and "acting the part." Volunteering to help other Associates/Partners who are staying late will go along way then just staying at work for "face" time...

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:01 pm

You don't want to appear inefficient. Stay late if you have meaningful work to do. But get your work done quickly with no mistakes. Take the time you need to do high quality work. Stay late for work that has substance. Don't hang out just to be there. Ask for more work if you have time.

skyline95

New

Post by skyline95 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:51 am

bdubs wrote:How big is the firm? How many offers did they give in that office last year?

Your best bet is to find a 2L or 3L who did their 1L summer there. Failing that you can ask a 3L who did their 2L summer there. If there is no one who has worked in that office of that firm, then NALP is going to be the best thing you've got.

It's ranked in the 70's. They pay market for the city that they're in. I looked on NALP and it doesn't say.

skyline95

New

Post by skyline95 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:53 am

Thank you all for the replies. More than anything I just want an offer because I could actually see this being a firm that I'd like to stay with after graduation.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”