Loyola Patent Fair 2012

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Loyola Patent Fair 2012

Postby Bosque » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:08 pm

wiseowl wrote:If you've got two and its not a huge hassle I don't see why you wouldn't...possibly most important job interview of your life...would suck to have to hit the jos a bank a few min before your interview because you dump your morning coffee on your suit.

Like someone gently suggested earlier, this will also be a huge gathering of somewhat awkward folks. Getting bumped into, dumped on, etc is not out of the realm, plus the usual interactions with the families just trying to get back and forth to the pool.



I agree with this. If you don't own two suits you don't need to go rush out and buy a second now (in that case, doing it now and doing it in Chicago ain't gonna be a huge difference). But if you have it, better to bring it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Also, don't check your baggage if you can. You don't want to be dealing with lost luggage the night before. I would also bring your resume, reference sheet, writing sample, ect. on a thumb drive in your portfolio (or whatever you are carrying papers around in). This applies even if you are bringing your laptop. If something happens to your stuff you want to be able to print out more without having to run back to your room for your computer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273494
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola Patent Fair 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:26 am

i have an interview with a Firmwide firm. I am also interviewing with them for City X through my school's OCI. City X is my top choice. Should I tell them during the Firmwide interview? Will I be getting 2 bites at the apple? I am also fine with a city that's close by and could be considered in the same market...

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Loyola Patent Fair 2012

Postby Bosque » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i have an interview with a Firmwide firm. I am also interviewing with them for City X through my school's OCI. City X is my top choice. Should I tell them during the Firmwide interview? Will I be getting 2 bites at the apple? I am also fine with a city that's close by and could be considered in the same market...


Yes, you should tell them. No, you are not getting two bites. They will probably cancel your OCI interview. Even if you don't tell them, they will probably figure it out and still cancel the later interview. But better to interview with them earlier than later.

target
Posts: 688
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:40 pm

Re: Loyola Patent Fair 2012

Postby target » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:39 am

So, how does the alternate/waiting list system work at Loyola? Do we just show up the morning of and see if your alt/WL get pumped up to an interview? Can we sign up for alt/WL with firms that we didn't bid on?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273494
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola Patent Fair 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:36 pm

target wrote:So, how does the alternate/waiting list system work at Loyola? Do we just show up the morning of and see if your alt/WL get pumped up to an interview? Can we sign up for alt/WL with firms that we didn't bid on?


As far as the I understand the emails, you can only show up at 8:30 AM to see if any spots opened up for you with the firms that selected you as alts. I don't think you can open sign up with any firm that didn't designate you as alts. I am not sure what happens if there is an opening and there is no alt to fill it, but I doubt that is going to happen because you could still cancel up until yesterday afternoon. I got off the alt list for several firms yesterday because of last minute cancellations yesterday afternoon.

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: Loyola Patent Fair 2012

Postby stratocophic » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
target wrote:So, how does the alternate/waiting list system work at Loyola? Do we just show up the morning of and see if your alt/WL get pumped up to an interview? Can we sign up for alt/WL with firms that we didn't bid on?


As far as the I understand the emails, you can only show up at 8:30 AM to see if any spots opened up for you with the firms that selected you as alts. I don't think you can open sign up with any firm that didn't designate you as alts. I am not sure what happens if there is an opening and there is no alt to fill it, but I doubt that is going to happen because you could still cancel up until yesterday afternoon. I got off the alt list for several firms yesterday because of last minute cancellations yesterday afternoon.
Plenty of interviews opened up at 8:30 last year from what I heard, it's worth going to the cattle call if you aren't buried in interviews already. Dropped my 3L slots the other day, hope some of y'all pick em up. Best of luck to everyone, get dem jerbs.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273494
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola Patent Fair 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:13 pm

What is the average number of interviews for ppl showing up?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Loyola Patent Fair 2012

Postby 09042014 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What is the average number of interviews for ppl showing up?


Most people I met had either 2-4 or 10+. Wasn't much middle ground.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Loyola Patent Fair 2012

Postby fatduck » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:30 pm

is this wednesday night event worth attending? i thought it was a cocktail reception but the flyer makes it look like a powerpoint presentation.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273494
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola Patent Fair 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:14 pm

whats the avg wait time for being invited to a callback?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Loyola Patent Fair 2012

Postby 09042014 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:whats the avg wait time for being invited to a callback?


Soonest, that night.

Longest, a month.

Average, I'd say by middle of next week.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Loyola Patent Fair 2012

Postby fatduck » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:20 pm

fatduck wrote:is this wednesday night event worth attending? i thought it was a cocktail reception but the flyer makes it look like a powerpoint presentation.

update: decided it looks lame. i'm gonna go get dinner at hugo frogs and watch the olympics. if anyone has similar plans feel free to pm me.

User avatar
Dr. Review
Posts: 1797
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:51 am

Re: Loyola Patent Fair 2012

Postby Dr. Review » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:37 pm

fatduck wrote:
fatduck wrote:is this wednesday night event worth attending? i thought it was a cocktail reception but the flyer makes it look like a powerpoint presentation.

update: decided it looks lame. i'm gonna go get dinner at hugo frogs and watch the olympics. if anyone has similar plans feel free to pm me.


Buddy and I went out for drinks instead of that thing. If you wanna hang tomorrow we've got a lot of downtime so PM me.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Loyola Patent Fair 2012

Postby fatduck » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:43 pm

Bedsole wrote:
fatduck wrote:
fatduck wrote:is this wednesday night event worth attending? i thought it was a cocktail reception but the flyer makes it look like a powerpoint presentation.

update: decided it looks lame. i'm gonna go get dinner at hugo frogs and watch the olympics. if anyone has similar plans feel free to pm me.

Buddy and I went out for drinks instead of that thing. If you wanna hang tomorrow we've got a lot of downtime so PM me.

i'll probably go to the reception thing tomorrow but i think it ends at 7, so i'm down after that

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Loyola Patent Fair 2012

Postby r6_philly » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:16 pm

fatduck wrote:is this wednesday night event worth attending? i thought it was a cocktail reception but the flyer makes it look like a powerpoint presentation.


It was a cocktail reception.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273494
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola Patent Fair 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:24 pm

Quick question for those of you who've done the fair. I have a CS degree (unfortunately it's under a slightly different name, but a quick look at my transcript will show it's pretty much a CS degree) and it's not ABET accredited (can't sit for the patent bar). Is there any chance of getting an IP Lit gig coming from a T6? I have full-time WE as an engineer, but it's less than one year.

Truly appreciate it. I'm seriously doubting whether I have a shot at IP at all with my background.

User avatar
Dr. Review
Posts: 1797
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:51 am

Re: Loyola Patent Fair 2012

Postby Dr. Review » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:53 pm

r6_philly wrote:
fatduck wrote:is this wednesday night event worth attending? i thought it was a cocktail reception but the flyer makes it look like a powerpoint presentation.


It was a cocktail reception.


Was it worth going? I showed up to registration in a tshirt, so I figured I'd pass.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Loyola Patent Fair 2012

Postby r6_philly » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:03 am

Bedsole wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
fatduck wrote:is this wednesday night event worth attending? i thought it was a cocktail reception but the flyer makes it look like a powerpoint presentation.


It was a cocktail reception.


Was it worth going? I showed up to registration in a tshirt, so I figured I'd pass.


Free drinks and food was good. Presentation was trying to sell the firm obviously. There were a few people not dressed up in there.
Last edited by r6_philly on Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
gyarados
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:40 am

Re: Loyola Patent Fair 2012

Postby gyarados » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:Quick question for those of you who've done the fair. I have a CS degree (unfortunately it's under a slightly different name, but a quick look at my transcript will show it's pretty much a CS degree) and it's not ABET accredited (can't sit for the patent bar). Is there any chance of getting an IP Lit gig coming from a T6? I have full-time WE as an engineer, but it's less than one year.

Truly appreciate it. I'm seriously doubting whether I have a shot at IP at all with my background.

You'll be fine. English majors do IP lit on occasion. Just sell it.

anonmyuos
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:33 am

Re: Loyola Patent Fair 2012

Postby anonmyuos » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:Quick question for those of you who've done the fair. I have a CS degree (unfortunately it's under a slightly different name, but a quick look at my transcript will show it's pretty much a CS degree) and it's not ABET accredited (can't sit for the patent bar). Is there any chance of getting an IP Lit gig coming from a T6? I have full-time WE as an engineer, but it's less than one year.

Truly appreciate it. I'm seriously doubting whether I have a shot at IP at all with my background.


You're anonymous. What's the degree in, from what school, and is it possible you're eligible for Patent Bar through the B route?

If you want to do patent lit, being eligible for the patent bar is a bonus but not absolutely necessary. If you have a path to eligibility though, you should take it. Far more important is what your ugrad degree "looks" like. Does it look like it's a technology-ish degree from a community college or does it look like a legitimate computer science degree. If your degree is one that would cause an interviewer to immediately raise an eyebrow and ask you if you're even patent bar eligible ... then that's not good and might be a killer.

EDIT: Didn't see you had you were from a T6. That might be enough to overcome an odd degree if you did well there.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Loyola Patent Fair 2012

Postby fatduck » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:17 am

is anyone else excited to see all the suits scurrying around this panopticon tomorrow? i bet it would be fun to watch from the central lounge.

User avatar
Dr. Review
Posts: 1797
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:51 am

Re: Loyola Patent Fair 2012

Postby Dr. Review » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:22 am

fatduck wrote:is anyone else excited to see all the suits scurrying around this panopticon tomorrow? i bet it would be fun to watch from the central lounge.


Dude I was lol'ing hard at all the kids suiting up to register. Tomorrow is gonna be fan-f**king-tastic.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Loyola Patent Fair 2012

Postby r6_philly » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:24 am

Bedsole wrote:
fatduck wrote:is anyone else excited to see all the suits scurrying around this panopticon tomorrow? i bet it would be fun to watch from the central lounge.


Dude I was lol'ing hard at all the kids suiting up to register. Tomorrow is gonna be fan-f**king-tastic.


I wore cocktail attire to the cocktail reception. I don't see what's so lol worthy.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273494
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola Patent Fair 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:25 am

anonmyuos wrote:You're anonymous. What's the degree in, from what school, and is it possible you're eligible for Patent Bar through the B route?

If you want to do patent lit, being eligible for the patent bar is a bonus but not absolutely necessary. If you have a path to eligibility though, you should take it. Far more important is what your ugrad degree "looks" like. Does it look like it's a technology-ish degree from a community college or does it look like a legitimate computer science degree. If your degree is one that would cause an interviewer to immediately raise an eyebrow and ask you if you're even patent bar eligible ... then that's not good and might be a killer.

EDIT: Didn't see you had you were from a T6. That might be enough to overcome an odd degree if you did well there.

Thanks for the replies. My degree is officially called "Computing and Software Systems", and it's from the University of Washington (Tacoma campus). The quarter after I left, they officially renamed the degree to Computer Science and Systems, and I've been trying to get my degree name changed, but so far they've been telling me no.

The problem with the B route is that I don't know whether the patent bar will accept the courses I took towards my computing degree as part of their acceptable "Computer Science" courses.

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Loyola Patent Fair 2012

Postby Bosque » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:26 am

Bedsole wrote:
fatduck wrote:is anyone else excited to see all the suits scurrying around this panopticon tomorrow? i bet it would be fun to watch from the central lounge.


Dude I was lol'ing hard at all the kids suiting up to register. Tomorrow is gonna be fan-f**king-tastic.


That was my favorite part of the whole experience. Staring out across the abyss at a solid wall of suits waiting patiently outside of doors is a pretty surreal experience.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.