Loyola Patent Fair 2012

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Loyola Patent Fair 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:23 am

is it safe to say that you can determine whether the firm is looking for litigation/prosecution based on the profiles of the interviewing attorneys.

(i.e. two interviewers who are patent bar attorneys and prosecute patents = firm looking for prosecution SA)

some of my screeners are with all prosecution attorneys, some with all litigation attorneys, some mixed.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:07 pm

Nope. My firm sent 2 lit guys last year but were hiring for both sides. Also, some firms have associates do both, at least early in their career. Don't make assumptions - ask

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:44 pm

stratocophic wrote:Nope. My firm sent 2 lit guys last year but were hiring for both sides. Also, some firms have associates do both, at least early in their career. Don't make assumptions - ask

So what happens when you are only interested in one, but the firm is only looking to hire in the other?

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:52 pm

r6_philly wrote:
stratocophic wrote:Nope. My firm sent 2 lit guys last year but were hiring for both sides. Also, some firms have associates do both, at least early in their career. Don't make assumptions - ask

So what happens when you are only interested in one, but the firm is only looking to hire in the other?
Depends on your thought process.

If you're worried about striking out for the summer and are sensible enough to know that you can try to parlay this undesirable offer into another one as a 3L by making excuses about how you thought you wanted to do X but got into the summer and realized Y was a better fit, then you lie like a mofo and say you want X (just like you do when interviewing for an undesirable market).

If you're not worried about copping an offer because you were a 1L SA or are a Harvard student in your first interview of 120, then you have an awkward, slightly disinterested 15 minute conversation before moving on to your second interview.

I fell into category 1, fwiw. Even if you're in category 1, once you do have a desirable offer you can then move onto category 2.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:58 pm

Thanks! Did they tell you at the beginning of the interview? It would be kind of awkward to chat about litigation with the litigation associate for 15 minutes they found out they are hiring for pros.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:04 pm

I think the best strategy is to express willingness to do both. It's not a smart play to foreclose jobs before you've even gotten a callback. If the early stages of the screener doesn't really reveal what they're looking for, then bring it up proactively and use that discussion to take up more time instead of asking questions like "what's your parking deck like?"

If you really, truly, only want one or the other and you will be physically ill if you get the other, then I guess be assertive about that up front. Otherwise, be flexible. You don't have much leverage at this stage of the game.

In the end, I got offers that were strictly litigation, some that were strictly pros, and some that were a mix. At that stage, you can make the decision of what's best for you.

target

Postby target » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:26 pm

stratocophic wrote:
If you're worried about striking out for the summer ..., then you lie like a mofo ...

This is all I need out of your post 8)

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:28 pm

wiseowl wrote:I think the best strategy is to express willingness to do both. It's not a smart play to foreclose jobs before you've even gotten a callback. If the early stages of the screener doesn't really reveal what they're looking for, then bring it up proactively and use that discussion to take up more time instead of asking questions like "what's your parking deck like?"

If you really, truly, only want one or the other and you will be physically ill if you get the other, then I guess be assertive about that up front. Otherwise, be flexible. You don't have much leverage at this stage of the game.

In the end, I got offers that were strictly litigation, some that were strictly pros, and some that were a mix. At that stage, you can make the decision of what's best for you.
Yeah, this is what I'd do if they haven't specified which group they're hiring for or they let associates do both. If you know for a fact only one side is hiring, don't know what downside there is to going all-in. Upshot is that most of the time, you're going to have no idea what they're hiring for initially so if they ask, say you're open to either.

ETA: in case it isn't clear, wo's post is more generally credited because that situation is far more common. Mine is for the more specific (and rare) case where you know what you want. That being said, if you're only interested in one of the two, lying like a mofo (not legal advice) and saying that you want both is still TCR when in doubt.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:31 am

So we are sometimes supposed to bring a transcript, resume, and writing sample to interviews at Loyola.
I also want to bring a laptop. Is it bad to bring all of this in a backpack?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:So we are sometimes supposed to bring a transcript, resume, and writing sample to interviews at Loyola.

Also curious about this. I remember reading somewhere that I should just have a leather portfolio with me in the interview room, not my backpack. Can some 3L share their experience regarding where to leave their personal belongings on the day of?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So we are sometimes supposed to bring a transcript, resume, and writing sample to interviews at Loyola.

Also curious about this. I remember reading somewhere that I should just have a leather portfolio with me in the interview room, not my backpack. Can some 3L share their experience regarding where to leave their personal belongings on the day of?

Tons of people awkwardly walked around in a backback and a suit, looking like awkward nerds. They left their bags under the chairs outside the interview rooms.

I just took a leather portfolio.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:03 am

DF, do you know what ppl did with their luggage if they flew in? My friends and I will not stay at the Embassy Suites, but a close by hotel, and we all wonder if we should leave our luggage at the hotel and just walk over with our portfolio.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:DF, do you know what ppl did with their luggage if they flew in? My friends and I will not stay at the Embassy Suites, but a close by hotel, and we all wonder if we should leave our luggage at the hotel and just walk over with our portfolio.

Obviously, leave it in your hotel room on thursday, but Friday check it in with your hotel when you check out early friday. If it's really far away, you can bring it embassy and see they will check it for you. I'm not sure if they will or not.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:13 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:DF, do you know what ppl did with their luggage if they flew in? My friends and I will not stay at the Embassy Suites, but a close by hotel, and we all wonder if we should leave our luggage at the hotel and just walk over with our portfolio.

Obviously, leave it in your hotel room on thursday, but Friday check it in with your hotel when you check out early friday. If it's really far away, you can bring it embassy and see they will check it for you. I'm not sure if they will or not.

They should check it there at Embassy. I have never been asked to show proof of stay before checking luggage.

Also backpacks do look weird, but you can put it in a decent looking portfolio/laptop bag. I plan to so I can use it between interviews.

clintone88

Postby clintone88 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:47 pm

Since it's all engineers and scientists, you should clearly expect backpacks and awkward fitting clothing around every corner. So if you're the one guy who isn't wearing a backpack or suit with a jacket that's too big and pants that are 4" too short, you'll already make a good impression. In other words, I would suggest leaving the backpack at the hotel.

Although some pros boutiques are filled with nerds, so maybe then you should rock the backpack to fit in.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:03 pm

clintone88 wrote:Since it's all engineers and scientists, you should clearly expect backpacks and awkward fitting clothing around every corner. So if you're the one guy who isn't wearing a backpack or suit with a jacket that's too big and pants that are 4" too short, you'll already make a good impression. In other words, I would suggest leaving the backpack at the hotel.

Although some pros boutiques are filled with nerds, so maybe then you should rock the backpack to fit in.
This. Don't be the mouthbreather with a backpack (other stuff often goes hand in hand with carrying backpacks to interviews, none of it good) - be the professional, well-groomed person who's going to get a job. You may only be 22 (like I was) and experiencing your first real professional setting, but you're interviewing for a job as an attorney, not 16 and interviewing to become a pizza delivery boy.

Pet peeve from going last year, if anyone couldn't tell. On a more helpful note, the leather portfolio is tcr for carrying paper in this situation. Just as important, if you have extra things that you are carting around on the day of interviews, you can ask your hotel's front desk if they have a place where you can store it for a few hours. I've done it several times and they'll usually stick it behind the concierge's desk or in a locked room for you so you don't have to worry about your luggage while you're not there. If you're in a Super 8 because you were trying to save 50 bucks, probably don't do that (or ask the desk at the interview hotel in advance if you can leave it there - in advance because I lolled at people with backpacks, but I think even the interviewers would laugh if you got turned down and had to stroll in suited up and dragging a suitcase).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:04 am

Ice Miller interviews went out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:Ice Miller interviews went out.

+1 3L here. I was actually shocked I got an interview with them since I had originally bid on them and did not get them and since they were looking for engineering backgrounds even though I do not have one. Maybe my prosecution and litigation experience in mechanical device applications helped? Anyways, I'll take it!

I was a little confused on location so I emailed PLIP to confirm that it is for the Chicago office and not Indianapolis. Anyone else find this a bit confusing? It lists the Ice Miller (Indianapolis), but then location says Chicago.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Ice Miller interviews went out.

+1 3L here. I was actually shocked I got an interview with them since I had originally bid on them and did not get them and since they were looking for engineering backgrounds even though I do not have one. Maybe my prosecution and litigation experience in mechanical device applications helped? Anyways, I'll take it!

I was a little confused on location so I emailed PLIP to confirm that it is for the Chicago office and not Indianapolis. Anyone else find this a bit confusing? It lists the Ice Miller (Indianapolis), but then location says Chicago.

This is me from above. Just received confirmation that it is for Chicago office.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:24 pm

Whyte Hirschboeck Dudek results are out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:28 pm

I am pleasantly surprised with how well this 3L PLIP fair is going. 6 preselects, 2 alternates, 3L, T20, Below Median, Life Science background.

Let's do this 3Ls! Let's show our fellow law school classmates that "ip secure" still stands! 8-)

turbotong

Postby turbotong » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:35 am

How many suits is everyone bringing, 1 or 2? I'm trying to pack light and I figured I might wear a suit and bring one more.

PatentLawFTW

Postby PatentLawFTW » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:43 pm

I am only bringing 1, I figure I can touch it up after the first day as need be

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:51 pm

turbotong wrote:How many suits is everyone bringing, 1 or 2? I'm trying to pack light and I figured I might wear a suit and bring one more.

Why would you need two. It's not like you wash a suit every time you wear it.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:37 pm

If you've got two and its not a huge hassle I don't see why you wouldn't...possibly most important job interview of your life...would suck to have to hit the jos a bank a few min before your interview because you dump your morning coffee on your suit.

Like someone gently suggested earlier, this will also be a huge gathering of somewhat awkward folks. Getting bumped into, dumped on, etc is not out of the realm, plus the usual interactions with the families just trying to get back and forth to the pool.

Return to “Legal Employment”