Loyola Patent Fair 2012

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Loyola Patent Fair 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm curious to hear what the stats/bkgds of the 3Ls who got preselects? Are you guys EEs? Hard Science? Advanced Degrees? Prior SAs?

I wonder if the percentage of preselect to callbacks is higher for 3Ls as compared to 2Ls?

I'm the 3L with the 2 PS a couple posts up: around median at T20, advanced bio degree with work experience, some patent prosecution experience, working in-house at international biotech company this summer. As for the callback ratio, no clue but I'm praying it's higher for 3Ls...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If a firm is interviewing for multiple offices over the two day period, does each office have its own interview panel?

Example: Smith Doe (Office 1); Smith Doe (Office 2); Smith Doe (Firmwide)

Would the above hypo have 3 interview panels running simultaneously, or do they just accept applications in segments so they can break down the candidates?

Anyone have any insight?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm curious to hear what the stats/bkgds of the 3Ls who got preselects? Are you guys EEs? Hard Science? Advanced Degrees? Prior SAs?

I wonder if the percentage of preselect to callbacks is higher for 3Ls as compared to 2Ls?

I'm the 3L with the 2 PS a couple posts up: around median at T20, advanced bio degree with work experience, some patent prosecution experience, working in-house at international biotech company this summer. As for the callback ratio, no clue but I'm praying it's higher for 3Ls...

3L here, 1 preselect but only bid 11 (with most clearly outside my possible range). Computer Engineering degree with 5+ years of patent prosecution experience, 2L SA at a NY/DC/SF/WA boutique. Between median-top third at a school in the 40-80 range. I limited myself to a single market (think NY/DC/SF/WA) so understandably my results are limited. The one PS is at a firm interviewing for multiple locations, so I assume it's for a second or third-tier market. The moral of the story that I've learned at the SA is that patent litigation experience is key. Only having patent prosecution experience is apparently a negative. Live and learn.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:27 pm

1ps 1alt
3L @top 25 ~50%
BS and MS in engineering

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:31 pm

3L, 7 PS 4 Alts after schedules finalized, biglaw SA.

T25, top 25%, non-EE engineering. Almost certainly going to drop all 7, FWIW.

ETA: I did post earlier somewhere in this thread, had 6 PS and 5 Alts initially.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:19 pm

At the risk of sounding unreasonable/dumb, what do ya'll think about forking over the expense to travel to the fair with 0 preselects? I mean, they say that alternates have another opportunity to possibly get interviews at the fair itself but does it just not make sense to do so? I did have 3 alts of which none converted to interviews at deadline. Maybe for networking purposes?

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:At the risk of sounding unreasonable/dumb, what do ya'll think about forking over the expense to travel to the fair with 0 preselects? I mean, they say that alternates have another opportunity to possibly get interviews at the fair itself but does it just not make sense to do so? I did have 3 alts of which none converted to interviews at deadline. Maybe for networking purposes?
I think your time better spent looking up and mass mailing every patent pros mill in the country, but that's just my opinion.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:37 pm

I just got my USPTO approval to take the pat-bar today. I've done a lot to get ready for it and I can be ready to take the test by the end of the month if need be, but there are no Saturday test dates available through Prometric in my area before mid-August, so I'd have to take a day off (which I could probably get np, although I am paid hourly, so losing the $$ might hurt a little). Do you think it would be a boost to have the test passed walking in to an interview, or would simply having a test date be enough to get the necessary boost (however small it may be)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:making this decision myself so curious as to how many people with < 3 interviews think they will attend the fair.

only 3 alt of which only 1 turned into an interview TODAY so now I'm going

target

Postby target » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just got my USPTO approval to take the pat-bar today. I've done a lot to get ready for it and I can be ready to take the test by the end of the month if need be, but there are no Saturday test dates available through Prometric in my area before mid-August, so I'd have to take a day off (which I could probably get np, although I am paid hourly, so losing the $$ might hurt a little). Do you think it would be a boost to have the test passed walking in to an interview, or would simply having a test date be enough to get the necessary boost (however small it may be)?

It would be nice to talk about it if your interviewer(s) passed the bar. But it would be very negligible boost if any. Firms that want you to pass the patent bar exam will address that clearly as one of the hiring criteria. And it is not like the patent bar is impossible to pass. With that being said, if you can take it to get it out of the way, you should still take it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:05 pm

What is up with all the additional firms interviewing engineering student? I mean where is the love for Bio people? :cry:

/rant

On a separate note: has anyone recently booked a h/motel room and has any recommendation on cheap places?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:52 pm

Does anyone have advice on what to say to the inevitable "why us" for prosecution? It's not like you can say "well, I really like the fact that you do a lot of patent work in semiconductors" because basically every firm at PLIP fits that description. And all the boutiques do essentially the same thing, so there isn't much to distinguish them other than maybe the specific clients they have, but even those overlap. There are a select few firms I have genuine reasons for wanting to join, but for the rest the reason is "you were in the geographic area I want, and you chose me as a preselect" and clearly that won't fly as an answer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:What is up with all the additional firms interviewing engineering student? I mean where is the love for Bio people? :cry:

/rant

On a separate note: has anyone recently booked a h/motel room and has any recommendation on cheap places?

Try hotwire.com. I booked a hotel near the airport with walking distance to the metro. The price was very reasonable (65 per night + tax) and it's a three-star hotel.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What is up with all the additional firms interviewing engineering student? I mean where is the love for Bio people? :cry:

/rant

Try hotwire.com. I booked a hotel near the airport with walking distance to the metro. The price was very reasonable (65 per night + tax) and it's a three-star hotel.

Thanks

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:12 pm

Got a PS at Brinks Hofer. Are they still in rough shape?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got a PS at Brinks Hofer. Are they still in rough shape?

I would be very wary, yes.

Two years ago Brinks Hofer associates were living it up in the firm's hospitality suite, and some of them were stealthed within a month or two of the fair.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Two years ago Brinks Hofer associates were living it up in the firm's hospitality suite, and some of them were stealthed within a month or two of the fair.

What happens to guys like this? Let's say I wound up at a place like that, and either the firm dissolved or I got stealthed... am I up a creek without a paddle or can I transition into another firm?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What happens to guys like this? Let's say I wound up at a place like that, and either the firm dissolved or I got stealthed... am I up a creek without a paddle or can I transition into another firm?

If you're stealthed for economic reasons you are generally given an opportunity to find other work for a few months before you go, and unless the firm are total dicks, they will usually help facilitate it when they can, unless you were just inept.

If the firm collapses like Dewey/Howrey, it's pretty much every man for himself.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

As a 3L, I don't know how much I can afford to be wary.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

As a 3L, I don't know how much I can afford to be wary.

+1. 3L here with a preselect from them. At this point, I'll take what I can get.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:28 pm

Anyone hear from Alex Cook or Greenberg Traurig

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from Alex Cook or Greenberg Traurig

Isn't Cook Alex a resume drop instead of an interview bid?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:31 pm

Cook Alex **

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from Alex Cook or Greenberg Traurig

Isn't Cook Alex a resume drop instead of an interview bid?

If you are preselected they will put in a bid for you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:55 am

r6_philly wrote:If you are preselected they will put in a bid for you.

PLIP e-mail wrote:Please note that this is a resume collect only. Cook Alex Ltd. will not be interviewing at the program next month

Return to “Legal Employment”