Loyola Patent Fair 2012

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Loyola Patent Fair 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:25 (and 2 alternates)

:shock:

above is me. T20, BSEE, patent bar.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:58 am

aw man, 0 invites 3 alternates...weak...

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:00 am

this is a dumb question but are we supposed to bring an actual official transcript to interviews or just a grade printout?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:05 am

Are those of you with just one interview (like me) planning to attend?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:17 am

T2, EE. 15 preselects and 2 alternates. Weird though - dinged at some of the firms I thought were locks (maybe because they will be on campus??) I will be crazy happy of one of the alternates worked out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:40 am

1 alt
bioengineering BS
T50 law school no GPA listed

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:45 am

5 preselects, 7 alts

GPA wasn't on resume because my school doesn't give us one
T14
BS Chemical Eng

Can someone shed light on what it means to not get an interview? Did the firm not like something on your resume? Is this at all reflective of how you might do at regular OCI? Do these firms generally want work experience (I went straight)?

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:5 preselects, 7 alts

GPA wasn't on resume because my school doesn't give us one
T14
BS Chemical Eng

Can someone shed light on what it means to not get an interview? Did the firm not like something on your resume? Is this at all reflective of how you might do at regular OCI? Do these firms generally want work experience (I went straight)?

i wouldn't worry too much about OCI. it's possible firms passed on you at PLIP because they think they can see you at OCI. remember that this is a nationwide fair full of patent people - the % of students at your school's OCI doing IP is probably quite low.

i think the no gpa thing really hurts for job fairs like this where you can't even upload a transcript.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:15 am

any insight on how likely it is for an alternate to turn into an interview slot? And how seriously are alternates even considered if they do get an interview opportunity?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:25 am

14 and 4. T30 top 50% or so. Also curious about the (#) after alt spots because one doesn't have it and the other 3 do. Most of my preselects were in the market I targeted most, the other 5 were SF/SV with no ties.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:30 am

Bio PhD, MVP, median at the time of bidding (Now .1 below), non-native speaker. 7 PS, 5 alternate [2 (1), 1 (2), 1 (4, this is Covington DC, the chance of being bumped up is slim), 2 unspecified].

Didn't get preselect from some major IP shops (e.g. Finnegan, Fish). Didn't get selected by Kilpatrick specifying Chemistry/Biology, which is puzzling.

A little disappointed. The grades could be a factor, haven't passed the patent bar could be a factor, the lower demand of bio people comparing to EE/CS might've also contributed.

Bio people out there, I hope you guys are doing better than me.

Gatorbull84

Postby Gatorbull84 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:Bio PhD, MVP, median at the time of bidding (Now .1 below), non-native speaker. 7 PS, 5 alternate [2 (1), 1 (2), 1 (4, this is Covington DC, the chance of being bumped up is slim), 2 unspecified].

Didn't get preselect from some major IP shops (e.g. Finnegan, Fish). Didn't get selected by Kilpatrick specifying Chemistry/Biology, which is puzzling.

A little disappointed. The grades could be a factor, haven't passed the patent bar could be a factor, the lower demand of bio people comparing to EE/CS might've also contributed.

Anonymous User wrote:Bio PhD, MVP, median at the time of bidding (Now .1 below), non-native speaker. 7 PS, 5 alternate [2 (1), 1 (2), 1 (4, this is Covington DC, the chance of being bumped up is slim), 2 unspecified].

Im bioengineering (masters in medicine) and did a lot worse. I didn't get a single interview. I keep hearing how the bio field is hurting and you need a phd so this probably factored in.

Can I ask what rank (roughly) law school you go to?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:55 am

Im bioengineering (masters in medicine) and did a lot worse. I didn't get a single interview. I keep hearing how the bio field is hurting and you need a phd so this probably factored in.

Can I ask what rank (roughly) law school you go to?[/quote]

T10. I am sorry, buddy. It indeed doesn't look as IP-secure as EE/CS.

PhD does seem to be an unwritten requisite for prosecution (a partner at V-50 confirmed this during an informational interview).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:T2, EE. 15 preselects and 2 alternates. Weird though - dinged at some of the firms I thought were locks (maybe because they will be on campus??) I will be crazy happy of one of the alternates worked out.

Same here, dinged by some I was pretty sure of (wondering it might be the same reason that they will be on campus)
T14, top15%, EE, 14 preselects and 8 alts. Overall, pretty happy with the result.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are those of you with just one interview (like me) planning to attend?

Do you have any alt? I will probably wait until the final schedule comes out and make my decision.

Anonymous User wrote:any insight on how likely it is for an alternate to turn into an interview slot? And how seriously are alternates even considered if they do get an interview opportunity?

If anyone knows anything about this and wants to share, please do. Would a big firm's alt is less likely to become a preselect than a small firm's alt? Would background in natural science versus EE/CS make a different? Would I be more sane if I stop reading too much into this? :)

Gatorbull84

Postby Gatorbull84 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:23 pm

T10. I am sorry, buddy. It indeed doesn't look as IP-secure as EE/CS.

PhD does seem to be an unwritten requisite for prosecution (a partner at V-50 confirmed this during an informational interview).[/quote][quote="Anonymous User"][quote="Anonymous User"]Bio PhD, MVP, median at the time of bidding (Now .1 below), non-native speaker. 7 PS, 5 alternate [2 (1), 1 (2), 1 (4, this is Covington DC, the chance of being bumped up is slim), 2 unspecified].

Yep. Im considering taking a leave of absence and trying to get a job as a engineer while completing a second masters in Biomedical Engineering. I just don't trust taking out more loans for a field that doesn't seem to be hiring right now.

Congrats on the interviews you did get

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:32 pm

I regularly talk to the patent litigation co-chair at Kilpatrick, and he has mentioned to me that they really only have need for EEs. I'm also a Chem background guy

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:10 pre-selects, 6 alts.

T20 school, medianish, BSEE. I should note the majority of preselects are from offices in my state, but most CA offices (like half the bidlist?) rejected me, even though they were firms of the same caliber. Then again, I got 3 messages from other in state firms saying "no plip offer for u, but plz to see u at oci"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:42 pm

Congratulations! No better than you here. I am 3L (MS in Biochemistry) and got 2 preselect. I was pleasantly surprise since there were so few firms to bid on. The market definitely does not seem to be as good for Bio people

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:05 pm

Hope what you said is not true b/c I got their bio/chem pre-select.

Anonymous User wrote:

I regularly talk to the patent litigation co-chair at Kilpatrick, and he has mentioned to me that they really only have need for EEs. I'm also a Chem background guy

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:05 pm

Does anyone know how firms generally fit PLIP into their interview schedule? I worry because I have 1 preselect, so I'm trying to determine if it is worth the opportunity cost, only to be weighed against candidates from all 15 schools or however many the firm visits for OCI. This firm doesn't come to my school for OCI. I have ties to a satellite office, but not the area where the main office is.

I know I shouldn't ding myself, but I am trying to determine if they will take me seriously enough to warrant the cost of attending the interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hope what you said is not true b/c I got their bio/chem pre-select.

Well, he may not be speaking for the firm as a whole. It may well depend on the office.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:T2, EE. 15 preselects and 2 alternates. Weird though - dinged at some of the firms I thought were locks (maybe because they will be on campus??) I will be crazy happy of one of the alternates worked out.

Same here, dinged by some I was pretty sure of (wondering it might be the same reason that they will be on campus)
T14, top15%, EE, 14 preselects and 8 alts. Overall, pretty happy with the result.

i think it's definitely OCI, and you're gonna be really solid. i'm not t14, only a little better rank (10%), and got way more preselects. i think it's because basically none of these firms will be at my school's OCI.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:21 pm

You don't need official transcripts unless the firm specifically asks (I had a couple that did).

And you guys can't take a lack of interviews too seriously. I was told by one interviewer they had 1300 bids for 19 slots.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:22 pm

wiseowl wrote:You don't need official transcripts unless the firm specifically asks (I had a couple that did).

And you guys can't take a lack of interviews too seriously. I was told by one interviewer they had 1300 bids for 19 slots.

holy shit.

Return to “Legal Employment”