Loyola Patent Fair 2012 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Diamond

Re: Loyola Patent Fair 2012

Post by 09042014 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:31 am

fatduck wrote:is anyone else excited to see all the suits scurrying around this panopticon tomorrow? i bet it would be fun to watch from the central lounge.
It's hilarious watching at like 1 minute until interview changes. You see dozens of nervious people in suits sitting outside the doors like they are sitting outside the princpals office. Hilarious.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:37 am

Desert Fox wrote:
fatduck wrote:is anyone else excited to see all the suits scurrying around this panopticon tomorrow? i bet it would be fun to watch from the central lounge.
It's hilarious watching at like 1 minute until interview changes. You see dozens of nervious people in suits sitting outside the doors like they are sitting outside the princpals office. Hilarious.
Ah, memories.

If this is the week, good luck, future colleagues.

anonmyuos

New

Post by anonmyuos » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:14 am

Anonymous User wrote: Thanks for the replies. My degree is officially called "Computing and Software Systems", and it's from the University of Washington (Tacoma campus). The quarter after I left, they officially renamed the degree to Computer Science and Systems, and I've been trying to get my degree name changed, but so far they've been telling me no.

The problem with the B route is that I don't know whether the patent bar will accept the courses I took towards my computing degree as part of their acceptable "Computer Science" courses.
Hmm - well I'd spin it this way. First I'd definitely leave the Tacoma campus part off your resume unless it's a really different school that UW (I don't know anything about how that works). Second I would maybe list some of the more hardcore sounding courses you took underneath the degree. And third I would emphasize any real world programming experience you have.

And if you can't change the resume, then just take that advice and spell all that out in your interviews. Interviews might be afraid this is some fluff degree where you did some Excel spreadsheets, wrote some javascript and designed some webpages. So you need to remove that worry ASAP. The fact that you're at a T6 helps immensely.

This definitely isn't something that is going to instantly hurt your chances, but it might reduce them if you don't play it right. Being patent bar eligible is not a big requirement for IP Lit and there are plenty of people who practice in IP Lit that have never passed the patent bar. So you shouldn't be worried you'll be instantly rejected. But you still might want an answer to the patent bar question prepared ("Not on the A path - but I've looked over the website and I should be able to be qualified under B unless I'm reading it wrong" would probably pass muster). Above all - emphasize that you know things about programming or CPUs or whatever it is you do know that wouldn't generally be known by someone with a "passing interest" in technology.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:48 am

anonmyuos wrote: Hmm - well I'd spin it this way. First I'd definitely leave the Tacoma campus part off your resume unless it's a really different school that UW (I don't know anything about how that works). Second I would maybe list some of the more hardcore sounding courses you took underneath the degree. And third I would emphasize any real world programming experience you have.

And if you can't change the resume, then just take that advice and spell all that out in your interviews. Interviews might be afraid this is some fluff degree where you did some Excel spreadsheets, wrote some javascript and designed some webpages. So you need to remove that worry ASAP. The fact that you're at a T6 helps immensely.

This definitely isn't something that is going to instantly hurt your chances, but it might reduce them if you don't play it right. Being patent bar eligible is not a big requirement for IP Lit and there are plenty of people who practice in IP Lit that have never passed the patent bar. So you shouldn't be worried you'll be instantly rejected. But you still might want an answer to the patent bar question prepared ("Not on the A path - but I've looked over the website and I should be able to be qualified under B unless I'm reading it wrong" would probably pass muster). Above all - emphasize that you know things about programming or CPUs or whatever it is you do know that wouldn't generally be known by someone with a "passing interest" in technology. That will distinguish you.
Major thanks for the advice! It was very helpful.

My worry about the major is it sounds exactly as you put it--excel spreadsheets and javascript. But if you look at my transcript, you'll see it really is a Comp. Sci. degree (courses I've taken include Artificial Intelligence, Data Structures, Design and Analysis of Algorithms, Discrete Mathematics, Machine Organization, Computer Architecture, Object-Oriented Programming, etc.) I also graduated top 10% of the major and have a minor in mathematics, but I'm not sure how useful that'll be.

As for practical experience, I have full-time engineering WE (but it's less than a year), and I've contributed source code to some pretty large open-source software projects, including the Linux kernel (had a few software companies approach me because of this).

Sad part is I could have easily went to an ABET-accredited computer science program and saved myself all this trouble... oh well.

anonmyuos

New

Post by anonmyuos » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:42 am

Anonymous User wrote: Major thanks for the advice! It was very helpful.

My worry about the major is it sounds exactly as you put it--excel spreadsheets and javascript. But if you look at my transcript, you'll see it really is a Comp. Sci. degree (courses I've taken include Artificial Intelligence, Data Structures, Design and Analysis of Algorithms, Discrete Mathematics, Machine Organization, Computer Architecture, Object-Oriented Programming, etc.) I also graduated top 10% of the major and have a minor in mathematics, but I'm not sure how useful that'll be.

As for practical experience, I have full-time engineering WE (but it's less than a year), and I've contributed source code to some pretty large open-source software projects, including the Linux kernel (had a few software companies approach me because of this).

Sad part is I could have easily went to an ABET-accredited computer science program and saved myself all this trouble... oh well.
You're legit enough, so I wouldn't worry about it. You sound like you'll easily be able to hit it out of the park if someone questions your degree. It really sucks less that your not-ABET accredited and more that it's not a CompSci degree. I grad'd from a non-ABET school but no one every thought to check it out because the major was CompSci and the school had enough of a reputation that no one would have second glanced it. But I'd put down the fact that you minored in Math because Math minors are still hard to do, and I'd also talk about how you contributed to Linux (but only if the person knows anything about Linux ... otherwise just stick with "I've helped write code for Operating Systems, similar to what Macs run on" because they'll probably only use Macs). Sometimes people with EE degrees will ask you about how much you know about signals and hardware, and since EEs are relatively prevalent in IP Lit (and they kind of look down on CS degrees as being too hands off), you might want to be able to say you know how signals and encoding and stuff like that works -- the nitty gritty details that are glossed over. If you contributed to Linux though, you'll probably be able to do this without a problem.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:35 pm

I've never seen so many

1) suits with backpacks

2) totally unprofessional facial hair. Who the fuck even has a disgusting patch of long, thick hair under your chin. And who the fuck wouldn't have shave it for an interview.

target

Silver

Post by target » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:37 pm

A lot of nerve-racking people at the cattle call this morning though.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:51 pm

Why were those idiots clapping?

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:03 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I've never seen so many

1) suits with backpacks

2) totally unprofessional facial hair. Who the fuck even has a disgusting patch of long, thick hair under your chin. And who the fuck wouldn't have shave it for an interview.
i'm 95% sure one of my interviews was with a tlser, based on some of the slang used.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:13 pm

fatduck wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I've never seen so many

1) suits with backpacks

i'm 95% sure one of my interviews was with a tlser, based on some of the slang used.
A lot of TLS lingo is Xo lingo. IF they are more than a few years into the associateship thats prob. the origin.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:57 pm

Sooo when do callbacks start?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sooo when do callbacks start?
Some firms will start tomrrow.

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:10 pm

Yeah it was either Goodwin or Finnegan that said the hiring committee was meeting tomorrow.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:41 pm

Anyone have a major screw up? I overheard a guy saying he told the interviewer he was interested in an office that doesn't exist.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:47 pm

Bedsole wrote:Yeah it was either Goodwin or Finnegan that said the hiring committee was meeting tomorrow.
Was not Goodwin's answer to me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:58 pm

Not sure what's more sad, the firm that I SA'd at this summer but still "hasn't decided" on offers interviewing 3Ls at the LPIP, or running into the same people I met last year as a 2L having a second go-'round at the LPIP. I'll also throw into the mix Fish's layoffs today as an alternate answer.

edit - not demeaning the people interviewing as 3Ls, just that it's a sorry job market when people with good credentials are striking out

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:02 am

r6_philly wrote:
Bedsole wrote:Yeah it was either Goodwin or Finnegan that said the hiring committee was meeting tomorrow.
Was not Goodwin's answer to me.
What was their answer?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:08 am

Anonymous User wrote: What was their answer?
Within a week.

soccerfreak

Bronze

Post by soccerfreak » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:35 am

r6_philly wrote:
Within a week.
Interesting, do you know if this is typical? I had thought within a couple of days...though I guess the weekend stretches things out.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:47 am

Several firms said within the next week. I have no idea of the accuracy. Last year people did hear back on Friday night I think. I will post something if anyone I know get a callback.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:50 am

Did anyone of you write Thank You letters?

I got back to the hotel too late yesterday and was not able to do anything about it. Are we supposed to write to them?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone of you write Thank You letters?

I got back to the hotel too late yesterday and was not able to do anything about it. Are we supposed to write to them?
I'm pretty sure those are for after callbacks. you don't need to write them after a screener.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:17 am

soccerfreak wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Within a week.
Interesting, do you know if this is typical? I had thought within a couple of days...though I guess the weekend stretches things out.
They are slower than oci callbacks because firms are just starting recruiting. Some firms won't call for two Weeks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone of you write Thank You letters?

I'm pretty sure those are for after callbacks. you don't need to write them after a screener.
you never need to write them.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:44 pm

dropped all the business cards i collected into the jimmy johns weekly drawing bowl. good karma?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”