Federal Judicial Internship - Senior Status

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Federal Judicial Internship - Senior Status

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:24 am

I've got an interview with a senior status Art. III judge coming up. Is there anything different about this sort of judge? I know they're only obligated to work part-time - is there anything I can expect with regard to the hours or the kind of work I'd do?

monkey85

Re: Federal Judicial Internship - Senior Status

Postby monkey85 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:43 am

Depends on the judge.

Judge Weinstein, EDNY, is still hardcore even as a Senior Judge. Although they may work part-time, it is not mandatory. The real benefit of senior status is that they get to PICK their caseload. The senior judge selects what he/she believes is interesting and denies to take on subjectively boring cases.

As for hours? Can't say. All depends on how hardcore or checked-out they are.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:45 am

Senior judges have reduced caseloads, but that does not necessarily mean they work part-time. Because they have proportionately fewer clerks, you probably will have just as much work as you would have clerking for an active judge.

Some senior COA judges sit by designation in other circuits or even district courts. Senior district judges sometimes sit by designation in COAs (this is common in the 9th Circuit), so you may get to do some traveling. You could ask about that.

LOL Skool

Postby LOL Skool » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:48 pm

I interned for a federal judge on senior status during law school - it was really a great experience. Like all things, it really depends on what you are looking for. The judge I worked for reduced his hours by simply doing a half-day one day a week, so he still had a substantial caseload. He decided to completely drop his criminal docket, and only focused on interesting civil/corporate matters, which was great for me because I knew I didn't want to focus on criminal law, and thus I basically doubled up my exposure to the types of claims I wanted to learn about. I learned a ton and it gave a me lot of confidence going forward, working in law firms, etc. Also, if the judge is on senior status, it usually means he or she was on the bench for a pretty long time, and therefore more attorneys in the local bar you may apply to after law school are familiar with the judge. This was great for me during interviews, because the judge I worked for had been on the bench since the 70's and it seemed like everyone in the city had a case before him at some point. If you have any questions, shoot me a message and I would be glad to tell you more.

Return to “Legal Employment”