Michigan Law Releases Full Employment Stats Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
IAFG

Platinum

Re: Michigan Law Releases Full Employment Stats

Post by IAFG » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:09 pm

johansantana21 wrote:Holy shit those are some depressing numbers.

Goes to show again that Penn>Mishitgan.
The HYS CCN MVPB DCNG mini tiers were created to reflect the reality of admissions selectivity. They don't reflect biglaw placement power now and I don't think they ever really did.

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:11 pm

IAFG wrote:

The HYS CCN MVPB DCNG mini tiers were created to reflect the reality of admissions selectivity. They don't reflect biglaw placement power now and I don't think they ever really did.
I'd argue Mishitgan isn't more selective than DN and maybe even G.

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:12 pm

JoeMo wrote:
johansantana21 wrote:
JoeMo wrote:
johansantana21 wrote: Being scared shitless of going to Michigan is not only a good idea, but the only rational one.
You're late to the party. Have fun catching up.
No need, I could tell you were a retard from just one post.
Hahahahahahahahaha... here we go with the ad-hom again. Douchebags like you find it hard to accept when someone disagrees with their point of view.

Again, if you're scared shitless in approaching a situation, then don't. It really is that simple.
Have fun getting MEDIANPWNED at Mishitgan. Maybe you can tell me how your confidence worked out then.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:14 pm

johansantana21 wrote: Have fun getting MEDIANPWNED at Mishitgan. Maybe you can tell me how your confidence worked out then.
You are a worthless poster.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:16 pm

johansantana21 wrote:
IAFG wrote:

I'd argue Mishitgan isn't more selective than DN and maybe even G.
They're probably outdated. Some schools haven't been keeping up in the LSAT arms race. Some schools that used to take splitters and super splitters don't anymore. The point is, applying them to biglaw placement doesn't make sense. In fact, when they came into being, everyone at T14s had a great shot at biglaw, and the relative placement consideration was more about prestigious PI, clerkships, other non-biglaw doors.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:24 pm

Frankly, Michigan should not have come forward with these.

I mean, we all want to be in a profession where the schools *all* do exactly this, but being a brave pioneer is not a good idea.

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:28 pm

flcath wrote:Frankly, Michigan should not have come forward with these.

I mean, we all want to be in a profession where the schools *all* do exactly this, but being a brave pioneer is not a good idea.
+1, this will not help them. I am sure things didn't look awesome at Berkeley or UVA either but now the presumption is that things were much worse at M.

Julio_El_Chavo

Silver

Post by Julio_El_Chavo » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:37 pm

rayiner wrote:I'm going to pull the "3L" card here and say this: having a skeptical attitude about job prospects going in is incredibly useful. C/O 2011's horrific OCI was going on while I was a 1L. I didn't have the relative mountain of data that you guys do now. So I made conservative assumptions. I assumed that I needed to finish top 1/3 to get a job. When it came time for OCI, I did over 50 screeners between Loyola and OCI. I spent 1L summer talking to as many people as I could who might be able to get my resume in front of someone. In the end it was massive overkill, because C/O 2012's OCI went much better than C/O 2011's, but I can't say being a skeptic did anything about help me in the end. I don't know a single skeptical gunner who doesn't have a firm job in my class.

I think it is incredibly dangerous when people like Scrabble underestimate their competition because they're asking what the social scene is like on a TLS thread. For C/O 2011, 1/4 of people ended up with crappy jobs even at schools that melted down less than Michigan. It is very easy to be in that group if you underestimate your peers.
CR. For all of you know-it-all 0Ls ITT, you have no fucking idea what the economy will be like when you go through OCI, so I suggest you look carefully at the range of potential employment outcomes in deciding whether to go to law school (class of 2007 being at one extreme and class of 2011 being at the other extreme). Then, once you're in law school, don't forget that it's entirely possible for you to try your hardest and end up at or slightly above median.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:40 pm

shoeshine wrote:

+1, this will not help them. I am sure things didn't look awesome at Berkeley or UVA either but now the presumption is that things were much worse at M.
That was already the presumption after the NLJ250 data. This data at least showed that Mich kids got some decent PI stuff. For c/o 2011, 2 got ACLU, 1 got Animal Legal Defense Fund, 1 got CATO, 1 at Clean Air Council, 1 at ELPC, 10+ in bigfed... Honestly better than I would have assumed.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Julio_El_Chavo

Silver

Post by Julio_El_Chavo » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:44 pm

IAFG wrote:
shoeshine wrote:

That was already the presumption after the NLJ250 data. This data at least showed that Mich kids got some decent PI stuff. For c/o 2011, 2 got ACLU, 1 got Animal Legal Defense Fund, 1 got CATO, 1 at Clean Air Council, 1 at ELPC, 10+ in bigfed... Honestly better than I would have assumed.
Yeah, throw in the number of JAGs and Article III clerks, and things don't look as bad as some in here have suggested.

Citizen Genet

Silver

Post by Citizen Genet » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:48 pm

This may have been answered, but I don't see it anywhere on Michigan's data: are any of these short-term employment that is being funded by the school? In other words, are all of these great PI gigs a result of Michigan padding stats or are they students who legitimately have careers now?

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Post by thelawschoolproject » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:49 pm

Alright people....how did I go from this:
thelawschoolproject wrote:This frightens me. :|

(in regard to the OP and 2009 employment)

To this:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:I don't get the train of thought behind being "scared" of going to a law school (Michigan or not) and still going. If you are unsure of your decision, then DON'T GO. Don't invest 3 years of your life, excessive amounts of debt, and time probably better spent elsewhere if you are not 100% sure of your choice.
Never said I was scared to go to law school . . . not even sure where you got this from. I also wasn't aware that I was "unsure of [my] decision."
ScrabbleChamp wrote:if the numbers published by any school make you faint of heart, maybe law school isn't for you and you should find something else to do with your life.
Telling me to do something else with my life was warranted. Thank you. I'm looking for prostitution gigs now.
ScrabbleChamp wrote:Either way, if you are not 100% sure about attending law school, don't, and save yourself the money/time and the rest of us your incessant bitching about bleak employment prospects.
Sorry that my "incessant bitching" (see the above singular post) bothered you.
JoeMo wrote:But as an ADULT going to a PROFESSIONAL school, sometimes it's best to just own your decisions whole-heartedly rather than spend your time on here bitching about the fact that you're worried about your future. As Scrabble said, if you're so worried don't go.
Again, sorry that my "bitching" was SOOO off-putting. I'll try to control myself.
JoeMo wrote:Again, if you're scared shitless in approaching a situation, then don't. It really is that simple.

Scared shitless. So scared. Might die of fear.

Okay, so I don't even know what fucking happened. This shit is dumb. I enjoyed the actual discussion of the actual topic at hand. Can we get back to that? Thanks.

<3 Tlsp

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:56 pm

<3 tlsp

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:21 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:Alright people....how did I go from this:
thelawschoolproject wrote:This frightens me. :|

(in regard to the OP and 2009 employment)

To this:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:I don't get the train of thought behind being "scared" of going to a law school (Michigan or not) and still going. If you are unsure of your decision, then DON'T GO. Don't invest 3 years of your life, excessive amounts of debt, and time probably better spent elsewhere if you are not 100% sure of your choice.
Never said I was scared to go to law school . . . not even sure where you got this from. I also wasn't aware that I was "unsure of [my] decision."
ScrabbleChamp wrote:if the numbers published by any school make you faint of heart, maybe law school isn't for you and you should find something else to do with your life.
Telling me to do something else with my life was warranted. Thank you. I'm looking for prostitution gigs now.
ScrabbleChamp wrote:Either way, if you are not 100% sure about attending law school, don't, and save yourself the money/time and the rest of us your incessant bitching about bleak employment prospects.
Sorry that my "incessant bitching" (see the above singular post) bothered you.
JoeMo wrote:But as an ADULT going to a PROFESSIONAL school, sometimes it's best to just own your decisions whole-heartedly rather than spend your time on here bitching about the fact that you're worried about your future. As Scrabble said, if you're so worried don't go.
Again, sorry that my "bitching" was SOOO off-putting. I'll try to control myself.
JoeMo wrote:Again, if you're scared shitless in approaching a situation, then don't. It really is that simple.

Scared shitless. So scared. Might die of fear.

Okay, so I don't even know what fucking happened. This shit is dumb. I enjoyed the actual discussion of the actual topic at hand. Can we get back to that? Thanks.

<3 Tlsp
Tlsp - Not sure if you saw this, but I'm guessing not:
ScrabbleChamp wrote: First, I didn't single any one person out...
I meant in no way to single you out or make it seem as if you were the inspiration behind my statements. My comments were directed to those people (like the guy at ASW who sought out a Dean and, no joke, told them they were lying about their employment because he heard this and that... he didn't even listen to the Dean, he just accused her of everything that is wrong in the world) seem to bitch about issues that they don't need to deal with. Why would you go to the UMich ASW just to tell administrators they lie and their school sucks? Also, for those that complain incessantly (I don't know if you do or don't, but you don't ring a bell as one of the people that posts over and over about how bleak the market is, how dumb it is to go to law school, etc...) when they don't need to.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:29 pm

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, clerkship, etc.

The next person to ignore that rule isn't going to be happy about it.

Mr. Somebody

Silver

Post by Mr. Somebody » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:38 pm

Sorry if this has been answered already, but is there any data on the final outcomes for those who had post-grad fellowships?

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:41 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:Sorry if this has been answered already, but is there any data on the final outcomes for those who had post-grad fellowships?
Dean Z has stated that only 8 fellowships are included in the final 9-months-out data; the rest are either recorded as employed in their new jobs (in their appropriate category) or as unemployed.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:At the Gibson Dunn dinner I saw at least 15 people as well.
They don't make offers to everyone who attends these dinners.

I don't know if someone responded to this already, but the numbers I was previously talking about were the offer dinners - i.e. everyone had an offer. For DPW there were around 15 there, and a few people I know were given an offer but chose not to attend.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:44 pm

flcath wrote:
Mr. Somebody wrote:Sorry if this has been answered already, but is there any data on the final outcomes for those who had post-grad fellowships?
Dean Z has stated that only 8 fellowships are included in the final 9-months-out data; the rest are either recorded as employed in their new jobs (in their appropriate category) or as unemployed.
Yup. It's on the post-graduate fellowship portion on the Michigan Law website.

Mr. Somebody

Silver

Post by Mr. Somebody » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:48 pm

keg411 wrote:
flcath wrote:
Right but is there a way of figuring out if they got biglaw, clerkships, PI, etc

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:52 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:
keg411 wrote:
flcath wrote:
Right but is there a way of figuring out if they got biglaw, clerkships, PI, etc
My guess is they were a reason for the high number of good Federal Gov't/PI jobs on the list.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:At the Gibson Dunn dinner I saw at least 15 people as well.
They don't make offers to everyone who attends these dinners.

I don't know if someone responded to this already, but the numbers I was previously talking about were the offer dinners - i.e. everyone had an offer. For DPW there were around 15 there, and a few people I know were given an offer but chose not to attend.
I'm an interviewer at GDC and I can confirm that not everyone who is invited to the dinners gets an offer. Most (all?) of them get CBs, but not all of them get offers.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:53 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:
keg411 wrote:
flcath wrote:
(1) They are aggregated into the numbers for those respective categories. But no, you can't tell what the actual outcomes for the specific kids in the fellowship program were.

(2) But I, personally, can tell you: no, they didn't get biglaw or clerkships.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:13 pm

JoeMo wrote:
IAFG wrote:If you're 100% sure law school is a good plan, you're a moron.
Ad Hom much?
That's not an ad hom. Saying, you are moron, therefore you are wrong is an ad hom. She is just concluding that you would in fact be a moron. The causation is reversed.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:13 pm

rayiner wrote:
JoeMo wrote:
IAFG wrote:If you're 100% sure law school is a good plan, you're a moron.
Ad Hom much?
Improper use of "ad hominem" in this context. "You're a moron" is a conclusion, not a basis for an attack on an argument.
LOL in re: my last comment. ^

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”