bar exam logistics

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

bar exam logistics

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:43 pm

anon because 2LSA firm will have concerns about this post. pls delete instead of outing if you think this shouldnt be anon.

I've decided that I'm going to have a nomadic career. I'm going to bounce around between the private and public sector (clerkship, big law, ausa, big law, maybe stick to gov, who knows).

If i skip from one state to another, traveling the country doing legal work in various capacities, do i have to take the BAR EXAM over and over again? Does one state have a "best" bar exam which is universally reciprocated? Is that the California bar exam?

Machine Spirit

Re: bar exam logistics

Postby Machine Spirit » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've decided that I'm going to have a nomadic career. I'm going to bounce around between the private and public sector (clerkship, big law, ausa, big law, maybe stick to gov, who knows).

Not...really at all how it works.

I mean, potentially it could happen like that, but you're usually talking graduate --> clerk ---> big law, or something along those lines.

Lateral movement, especially in this market, is notably difficult. The kind of movement you're talking about is even more rare.

Anonymous User wrote:If i skip from one state to another, traveling the country doing legal work in various capacities, do i have to take the BAR EXAM over and over again? Does one state have a "best" bar exam which is universally reciprocated? Is that the California bar exam?

Work in your federal government capacity? No.

Private practice? Certain states will accept you based on reciprocity, but generally that comes with having substantive experience (3-5 years) in practice in the "original" state you were admitted to. Alternatively, you could represent in a foreign jurisdiction through pro hac vice, but that's limited on a per-case basis.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:50 pm

Your plan for your career is to bounce between every fiercely competitive dream job in law, and your only worry is having to take the bar exam more than once?

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:20 am

Renzo wrote:Your plan for your career is to bounce between every fiercely competitive dream job in law, and your only worry is having to take the bar exam more than once?

Lol. OP is so suspect.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:anon because 2LSA firm will have concerns about this post.

Do you list your TLS username on your resume? This makes no sense.

Also your plan sounds kind of dumb

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:28 am

OP here: thanks guys.

Return to “Legal Employment”