Where can I get data about a school's placements?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Andreeai1980

Where can I get data about a school's placements?

Postby Andreeai1980 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:49 pm

I am trying to get data of University of Miami's placement outside of the Miami area for the past 5 years. I am also trying to find out how many UM graduates got jobs in the Houston and surrounding areas in the DA's office.

Any info about where can I get this data from would be so much appreciated

Thank you

LawIdiot86

Re: Where can I get data about a school's placements?

Postby LawIdiot86 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:07 pm

--LinkRemoved--: 1.6% in Texas

Combining the lower limit of http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?interactive=true&id=1202543436520&slreturn=1 with https://officialguide.lsac.org/RELEASE/SchoolsABAData/SchoolPage/SchoolPage.aspx?sid=87, that indicates no more than 24 students made it into NLJ 250 firms last year.

Given that 87% of the class did not take the Texas bar. I would suspect the number is vanishingly slim in Houston. Probably under 10 over the last 5 years, if that many.

Edit: --LinkRemoved-- This alumni map is also instructive.

They don't list alumni at http://www.texastribune.org/library/data/government-employee-salaries/harris-county/departments/hc-district-attorney/3492/, but it shows 431 employees. That's out of 77,000 lawyers in Texas.

I also used the Texas Bar's lawyer search, since Texas is a unified bar, and it shows 54 UMiami Law grads in Houston, one of whom works at the DA's office, and they were a lateral in the mid-90s after graduating law school in the early 80s. I would put your odds of getting into Houston from Miami at zero. Sorry.

Andreeai1980

Postby Andreeai1980 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:45 pm

The reason I am trying to put together statistics is because I want to do my third year as a visiting student at University of Houston and intern with the Harris DA's office. This would open the door for a potential job. I know otherwise I don't stand a chance.

I met with the Dean of Student Affairs at UM and she told me that UM places nationally and there is no need for me to be a visit student at UM and intern at the DA's office. She claims I should have no problems getting a job in Houston, out of Miami, with no previous internship in the area.

I am trying to refute her argument.

Thanks for all the info, it is extremely helpful

LawIdiot86 wrote:--LinkRemoved--: 1.6% in Texas

Combining the lower limit of http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?interactive=true&id=1202543436520&slreturn=1 with https://officialguide.lsac.org/RELEASE/SchoolsABAData/SchoolPage/SchoolPage.aspx?sid=87, that indicates no more than 24 students made it into NLJ 250 firms last year.

Given that 87% of the class did not take the Texas bar. I would suspect the number is vanishingly slim in Houston. Probably under 10 over the last 5 years, if that many.

Edit: --LinkRemoved-- This alumni map is also instructive.

They don't list alumni at http://www.texastribune.org/library/data/government-employee-salaries/harris-county/departments/hc-district-attorney/3492/, but it shows 431 employees. That's out of 77,000 lawyers in Texas.

I also used the Texas Bar's lawyer search, since Texas is a unified bar, and it shows 54 UMiami Law grads in Houston, one of whom works at the DA's office, and they were a lateral in the mid-90s after graduating law school in the early 80s. I would put your odds of getting into Houston from Miami at zero. Sorry.

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:19 pm

Andreeai1980 wrote:The reason I am trying to put together statistics is because I want to do my third year as a visiting student at University of Houston and intern with the Harris DA's office. This would open the door for a potential job. I know otherwise I don't stand a chance.

I met with the Dean of Student Affairs at UM and she told me that UM places nationally and there is no need for me to be a visit student at UM and intern at the DA's office. She claims I should have no problems getting a job in Houston, out of Miami, with no previous internship in the area.

She's lying.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:30 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GertrudePerkins

Postby GertrudePerkins » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:02 pm

TheFactor wrote:
Andreeai1980 wrote:The reason I am trying to put together statistics is because I want to do my third year as a visiting student at University of Houston and intern with the Harris DA's office. This would open the door for a potential job. I know otherwise I don't stand a chance.

She's lying.

Why not call her out? Ask for the names of recent UM alumni who are currently working in Houston in any legal capacity, let alone a DA's office. People gotta start demanding specific hard facts from these clowns.

Return to “Legal Employment”