Resume/Law Review Advice Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Resume/Law Review Advice

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:47 pm

Need opinions on how to present the following situation on my resume:

I'm a 3L on my school's law review as an Articles Editor. Over the winter one of our issues was delayed and our editor-in-chief was going out of the country, so he needed someone to serve as interim editor-in-chief. He selected me. I performed all the general editor-in-chief duties for the publication of that issue (final read through, making all necessary substantive and technical edits, conferring with authors, coordinating with publisher, finalizing publication proofs). I spent a healthy portion of time on this, and would like some way to represent these duties on my resume. I was thinking that listing Editor-in-Chief (interim) might be appropriate, but it's not like we changed the masthead for that one issue. I'm still only listed as an Articles Editor.

My question is: List it, and be prepared to explain in any future interview, or don't list it, out of concern that nobody will know what it means and it might attract negative attention?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Resume/Law Review Advice

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:52 pm

Include it as "Interim Editor-in-Chief". Although this is not a normal title, your assumption of this position was not a typical occurrence. Ask career services for suggestions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:54 pm

I'd say definitely list it. People will probably ask, and you could spin that in a good way--it shows you're a good dude/dudette in that you're willing to help people out.

Also, as an EIC myself, I find it total bullshit your EIC didn't change your masthead for that issue and at least list you as a co-EIC. Maybe co-EIC would be a good way of listing it actually?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:36 pm

I suggest listing your actual masthead title, with a bulletpoint below along the lines of "Served as acting EIC for issue X." Noting that you were articles editor, but acting EIC for just one issue, seems to be the most accurate and honest way to approach the situation.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:43 pm

My initial reaction is that it is a terrible idea to unilaterally give yourself a promotion, even one that is "interim." The fact of the matter is that one of the duties of being an executive is delegating work, and in real life this often means shitting all over an under-appreciated subordinate. If a manager in a company leaves for a long vacation and dumps all their work on a subordinate, that employee doesn't get to decide that they were actually the interim boss.

If you really feel you need it on your resume, I would add a note to the effect of "performed executive editorial duties for a single journal issue" (but with more time spent on how to phrase it). But, I think the better path is to use it in cover letters and interviews as an example of what a team-playing, responsibility-taking, capable person you are.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zomginternets

Silver

Post by zomginternets » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:50 am

I think if he actually made a point of officially selecting and appointing an acting EIC, I think it's legit to put that on your resume even if the masthead didn't change. If he just silently pushed all of his work off onto you, then maybe not.

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:40 am

Renzo wrote:My initial reaction is that it is a terrible idea to unilaterally give yourself a promotion, even one that is "interim."

If you really feel you need it on your resume, I would add a note to the effect of "performed executive editorial duties for a single journal issue" (but with more time spent on how to phrase it). But, I think the better path is to use it in cover letters and interviews as an example of what a team-playing, responsibility-taking, capable person you are.
This.

Don't call yourself EIC if it's not on the masthead. (I am not speaking as a butthurt EIC).

ak362

Bronze

Post by ak362 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:11 am

If the EIC sent out an announcement saying that you were interim EIC, then I could see a valid reason for putting it down. If not, then I'd just keep it under wraps. I'm not sure it being on the masthead really matters, as I wouldn't change the masthead for this sort of thing (not an EIC, but I do maintain our LR's website as part of my unofficial duties).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:46 pm

OP here. I appreciate the responses. In follow-up to the last few replies, the EIC made an announcement to the entire journal staff that I was taking over publication responsibility for the issue, since by the time he got back the issue would be at the publisher already. He also sent an email to the authors telling them that I was in charge for the remaining steps necessary for this issue. He never actually used the term "EIC" in any of this though, as related to me. Would that change your impressions in any way?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:47 pm

Ask him how to list your increased responsibilities on your resume.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:04 pm

I would not recommend listing yourself as a co-EIC or interim EIC. Just put what you had to do for the explanation part under the title. Be plain about it, somewhere along the lines of EIC went on vacation and designated me to oversee the publication of the issue, or something like that. Sure, it may be overlooked, but most employers are pretty good about reading the entire resume and usually highlighting or circling parts where they have questions about (assuming you get pass the GPA/Class ranking threshold). Something like this would definitely grab their attention and will probably be asked during the interview process.

As far as the actual publication goes, your EIC is a dbag if he failed to acknowledge what you had to do for him to make sure the issue was published.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:21 pm

Organize a coup. Overthrow. Done.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:28 pm

list it as interim eic. it's not dishonest at all and i think talking about it during interviews would be great. you stepped up to the plate.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:30 pm

Interim Editor-in-Chief.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:45 pm

You should list your position - Articles Editor. Even though you filled in for one issue, that was a limited experience. You didn't have the experience of leading the entire law review, setting direction, etc. Rather, you were an Articles Editor who stepped up to the plate. You should be proud of the role that you did and be proud of being there for the team when needed. Plus, there is so much variation between law reviews and executive board positions, that the title doesn't mean much beyond the fact that you had a substantive role on the executive board.

As an aside, I think you will garner negative reactions by listing "Interim EIC". It only creates questions. You will gain positive reactions by being able to talk about your experience in stepping up for the team / exhibiting leadership when asked by interviews to discuss your ability to be a team player.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You should list your position - Articles Editor. Even though you filled in for one issue, that was a limited experience. You didn't have the experience of leading the entire law review, setting direction, etc. Rather, you were an Articles Editor who stepped up to the plate. You should be proud of the role that you did and be proud of being there for the team when needed. Plus, there is so much variation between law reviews and executive board positions, that the title doesn't mean much beyond the fact that you had a substantive role on the executive board.

As an aside, I think you will garner negative reactions by listing "Interim EIC". It only creates questions. You will gain positive reactions by being able to talk about your experience in stepping up for the team / exhibiting leadership when asked by interviews to discuss your ability to be a team player.
Isn't that the benefit? People will be curious, ask questions and give OP the opportunity to explain how to rose to the challenge, etc. If EIC on his resume would be enough to get him into an interview room, it would be stupid not to put it on his resume with either "interim" or "for x issue."

run26.2

Silver

Post by run26.2 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:38 pm

If you plan to take credit for it, I'd run it by the EIC first. That way, if he finds out/is contacted, everything's ok. Then I'd say Acting EIC (Mmm, yyyy - Mmm, yyyy).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:32 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:You should list your position - Articles Editor. Even though you filled in for one issue, that was a limited experience. You didn't have the experience of leading the entire law review, setting direction, etc. Rather, you were an Articles Editor who stepped up to the plate. You should be proud of the role that you did and be proud of being there for the team when needed. Plus, there is so much variation between law reviews and executive board positions, that the title doesn't mean much beyond the fact that you had a substantive role on the executive board.

Isn't that the benefit? People will be curious, ask questions and give OP the opportunity to explain how to rose to the challenge, etc. If EIC on his resume would be enough to get him into an interview room, it would be stupid not to put it on his resume with either "interim" or "for x issue."
I'm not anon, but I posted earlier in favor of only "articles." When I get an "articles editor" applicant as an intern, I usually look at the masthead to see if it is the top articles position or one of 10/15 (some law reviews have a bunch of "articles editors"). If I saw "interim EIC," I would look at the masthead, see it's not listed, and think the OP is claiming a title he/she didn't actually have. It would convey a negative message. I'm not saying OP wouldn't still get an interview. Just saying it raises an eyebrow.

It's one thing to include a bullet that says he/she managed an entire book. It's another to claim "interim EIC" just because you want to call yourself "EIC."

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:38 pm

"Articles Editor, 2011-12. Did whatever an Articles Editor does. Managed all responsibilities normally handled by Editor in Chief for [Vol. x, Issue y] due to EIC's absence during production."

bartlett1234

New

Post by bartlett1234 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:50 pm

It's threads like this that make me despair for law. We're in a profession obsessed with pretentious credentials.

Either title is fine. If the employer genuinely has a problem with you putting EIC on a resume after doing the work, you probably wouldn't want to work for them anyway.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:59 am

bartlett1234 wrote:It's threads like this that make me despair for law. We're in a profession obsessed with pretentious credentials.

Either title is fine. If the employer genuinely has a problem with you putting EIC on a resume after doing the work, you probably wouldn't want to work for them anyway.
It is a profession obsessed with pretentious credentials, which is why either title is not OK. Knowing that the whole occupation is hyper-obsessed with credentials means that you need to be impeccably honest about them.

I'm with ggocat: if I saw it on a resume and couldn't easily verify the position via transcript/masthead, I would throw the resume in the trash and consider the applicant a liar without an opportunity to explain. You don't ever get to make up your own job titles. And "you probably wouldn't want to work for them anyway" is a fine sentiment in many situations; in the crowded and competitive legal market, it might be an express ticket to unemployment.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:23 am

Renzo wrote:
bartlett1234 wrote:It's threads like this that make me despair for law. We're in a profession obsessed with pretentious credentials.

It is a profession obsessed with pretentious credentials, which is why either title is not OK. Knowing that the whole occupation is hyper-obsessed with credentials means that you need to be impeccably honest about them.

I'm with ggocat: if I saw it on a resume and couldn't easily verify the position via transcript/masthead, I would throw the resume in the trash and consider the applicant a liar without an opportunity to explain. You don't ever get to make up your own job titles. And "you probably wouldn't want to work for them anyway" is a fine sentiment in many situations; in the crowded and competitive legal market, it might be an express ticket to unemployment.
TBF, I wouldn't throw the resume in the trash. But it would make me ask in the interview, "Interim EIC, what's that?" If I could discern that OP didn't actually receive that title, it would make me question OP's integrity.

As you suggested, I think it's more about character/integrity than prestige.
Last edited by ggocat on Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:31 am

Yes, the desire to be recognized for one's work that went beyond their job description is exclusively a pretentious characteristic of law students, and the legal professional as a whole. Idiot.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:35 am

Renzo wrote:

You honestly think that interviewers spend the time to look at a law review's masthead? Can't tell if serious...

bartlett1234

New

Post by bartlett1234 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:43 am

ggocat wrote: If I could discern that OP didn't actually receive that title, it would make me question OP's integrity.

As you suggested, I think it's more about character/integrity than prestige.
This is why the concern is silly. The concern with "character" and "honesty" is about title and hierarchy, not about honesty over what the applicant actually did. Do you not see how easy this is to mock?
Anonymous User wrote: Yes, the desire to be recognized for one's work that went beyond their job description is exclusively a pretentious characteristic of law students, and the legal professional as a whole. Idiot.
Sorry? The OP, and other law students, aren't pretentious for wanting to be recognized for work. I totally support OP getting full credit for being interim EIC, or whatever you want to call it. The profession is pretentious in that it is obsessed with titles that may or may not reflect actual work. Name another profession even more obsessed with this.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”