R.A. with big deal professor

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273120
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

R.A. with big deal professor

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:20 pm

-
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

de5igual
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: R.A. with big deal professor

Postby de5igual » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is getting an R.A. position with a big deal professor an okay job prospect for a 1L? It's from summer into fall semester and paid.

My situation: shamefully low grades, summer internship at family friend law firm just fell through

He is not Chemerinsky or anything but is a pretty big deal at the school and for the city. People's Lawyer. On the radio and news a lot.

If he said, "If you're still interested, come by my office and let's talk" what does that mean? I can just wear a button down and jeans or something, right?

I actually need this so bad.


it doesn't sound like you have other options, right?

thegrayman
Posts: 495
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 5:56 pm

Re: R.A. with big deal professor

Postby thegrayman » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:32 pm

I showed up to my RA interviews in a suit. You need this, why risk it?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273120
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: R.A. with big deal professor

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:42 pm

OP here. I have a few other job possibilities but not from career services or anything. From non-family close network. I am concerned about wearing the suit because I hate the way I feel in a suit. I feel funny awkward and clumsy. It detracts from my confidence.

More importantly, it seemed like a very casual email, and it's for a R.A. position. I'm not disparaging the position. This is exactly the thing I would want to do, anything to avoid real life. I am not sure but I don't think R.A.'s have to wear suits.

Also, my cover letter was a little ballsy in terms of just how immature it was. I am trying to play the I-can-be-serious but I-can-be-easy-going card.

So I don't want to be under or overdressed. His email was literally 6 words like "Please come by and talk to me if you're still interested."

I should probably email him back and schedule a time right, instead of just showing up? I have no clue how this works.

lawschoolftw
Posts: 338
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:34 pm

Re: R.A. with big deal professor

Postby lawschoolftw » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:11 pm

Since the whole situation has been casual up to this point, I would actually avoid an entire suit. I would e-mail him/her back and ask if it's okay to stop by at X time. Then I would make sure you look presentable (i.e. a collared shirt and nice jeans/or khakis). It doesn't sound like a formal interview so I don't think a suit is necessary.

User avatar
Detrox
Posts: 411
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:58 pm

Re: R.A. with big deal professor

Postby Detrox » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:34 pm

Showed up to all my ra interviews in standard attire. Collared shirt or something maybe, but nothing super fancy. Didn't seem to harm me in anyway.

traydeuce
Posts: 680
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:07 pm

Re: R.A. with big deal professor

Postby traydeuce » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is getting an R.A. position with a big deal professor an okay job prospect for a 1L? It's from summer into fall semester and paid.

My situation: shamefully low grades, summer internship at family friend law firm just fell through

He is not Chemerinsky or anything but is a pretty big deal at the school and for the city. People's Lawyer. On the radio and news a lot.

If he said, "If you're still interested, come by my office and let's talk" what does that mean? I can just wear a button down and jeans or something, right?

I actually need this so bad.


I'm not sure if you're into clerking one day or whatever, why you want this credential, but RAing for a "People's Lawyer" will mean nothing to judges and the clerks who read their apps. On the other hand, maybe in your city it will have some weight as far as firm hiring.

User avatar
leobowski
Posts: 511
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:11 am

Re: R.A. with big deal professor

Postby leobowski » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:11 pm

traydeuce wrote:
I'm not sure if you're into clerking one day or whatever, why you want this credential, but RAing for a "People's Lawyer" will mean nothing to judges and the clerks who read their apps.



Nobody even mentioned clerking in this thread, so keep your arrogant attitude to yourself, traydouche.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273120
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: R.A. with big deal professor

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:48 pm

From all the questions I've asked...it doesn't hurt to RA as a 1L summer job. Also it doesn't really matter if your professor is a "big deal" or not.

User avatar
Detrox
Posts: 411
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:58 pm

Re: R.A. with big deal professor

Postby Detrox » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:10 pm

RA'ing gets a bad rap on these forums. Plenty of people I know RA'ed for 1L summer and are competitive for some of the best CoA clerkships and are biglaw secure. Again, these are people who had top grades but chose to RA instead of something else and not people who did RA'ing as a last resort, and the two should be distinguished; however, I just want to maintain that RA'ing can be an excellent choice for 1L summer work especially in terms of developping relationships with future recommenders and developping research and writing skills that will be inquired about in almost every interview.

User avatar
shepdawg
Posts: 477
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:00 pm

Re: R.A. with big deal professor

Postby shepdawg » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:46 am

RA seems boring. But if it's all you got, go for it.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: R.A. with big deal professor

Postby Renzo » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:16 am

leobowski wrote:
traydeuce wrote:
I'm not sure if you're into clerking one day or whatever, why you want this credential, but RAing for a "People's Lawyer" will mean nothing to judges and the clerks who read their apps.



Nobody even mentioned clerking in this thread, so keep your arrogant attitude to yourself, traydouche.


Seriously. That was such a douchetastic poast I had to look at his history and make sure he wasn't just trolling.

User avatar
top30man
Posts: 1224
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: R.A. with big deal professor

Postby top30man » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:26 am

Renzo wrote:
leobowski wrote:
traydeuce wrote:
I'm not sure if you're into clerking one day or whatever, why you want this credential, but RAing for a "People's Lawyer" will mean nothing to judges and the clerks who read their apps.



Nobody even mentioned clerking in this thread, so keep your arrogant attitude to yourself, traydouche.


Seriously. That was such a douchetastic poast I had to look at his history and make sure he wasn't just trolling.

Agreed. So uncalled for.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: R.A. with big deal professor

Postby 20160810 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:25 am

Unless the professor is one of maybe a dozen BFD scholars (most of whom are at T14 schools, at least), then RA-ing for him or her won't do much for you come OCI time, especially if your grades are bad. (If your grades are good, these kinds of cap-feathers tend to help a little more - a cruel twist of fate, but true nonetheless.)

That said, RA-ing post-1L is a great learning experience and I recommend it to anyone. Plus you get paid while most other 1Ls are doing unpaid internships for the State Department of Boner Regulations. You're totally right to go all-out in your attempt to get the gig.

That said, wearing a suit when you respond to an invitation to stop by his office and chat about options would be (IMO) much, much, much too much. Just don't look like a slob and you should be fine.

Miller32
Posts: 131
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: R.A. with big deal professor

Postby Miller32 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:02 am

The correct response is to (1) wear business casual and (2) act like a normal human being upon arrival. Unfortunately, this second requirement is difficult for many law students.

I also agree that RAing is a pretty sweet gig. I didn't RA my 1L summer, but have worked for a professor all of 2L year and have really enjoyed it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273120
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: R.A. with big deal professor

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:53 pm

OP here. hope this is still anonymous posting.

thanks for all the responses. no, i'm not looking to clerk or anything. i'm just in a shit position and he is 100% not one of the nationally known/read profs. i just need something to pull me through so i can either get good grades to explain my 1st semester gigantic screw up or to carry me through so i can find out i screwed up again and drop out.

either way, i stopped by and asked another prof about proper attire/etiquette with him and the prof said for most of the r.a.'s he's interviewed, they were just dressed normally ("just don't wear a tank top and cut off shorts"). i am male.

i'm just going to wear dark khakis, a nice shirt, nice shoes, and shave, and be chill. and briefly review the textbook we're using.

ToTransferOrNot
Posts: 1928
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:45 am

Re: R.A. with big deal professor

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:57 pm

You're going to have to get over your suit and real-life phobias at some point, but RA positions are perfectly respectable. No one cares what you did for 1L as long as you did something (I interned for the chief justice of the state supreme court. Who cared? No one. Didn't help with.. well... anything, really), and $ > no $.

Business casual is fine.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273120
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: R.A. with big deal professor

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:08 pm

Are there no legal jobs that don't require suits? I'm getting a tailored suit soon. I thought in California people stopped wearing suits. But yes, I am working on getting over the phobia. I have a suit phobia.

User avatar
cantaboot
Posts: 204
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:12 am

Re: R.A. with big deal professor

Postby cantaboot » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:09 pm

east coast: most men are in suits; less formal attire for women.

User avatar
Lwoods
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:27 am

Re: R.A. with big deal professor

Postby Lwoods » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:17 pm

thegrayman wrote:I showed up to my RA interviews in a suit. You need this, why risk it?


Seriously?

A suit isn't necessary. How does the professor usually dress? Mine frequently wears jeans, so I just wear my regular school clothes (nice casual...jeans/slacks and a blouse...no yoga pants) whenever I meet with him. If it's a professor who dresses in business casual or suits, though, I'd stick with business casual.
Last edited by Lwoods on Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
cantaboot
Posts: 204
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:12 am

Re: R.A. with big deal professor

Postby cantaboot » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:18 pm

exactly. even when meeting a guy who's always in suit, I wouldn't dress that formally on campus.

thegrayman
Posts: 495
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 5:56 pm

Re: R.A. with big deal professor

Postby thegrayman » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:58 pm

Lwoods wrote:
thegrayman wrote:I showed up to my RA interviews in a suit. You need this, why risk it?


Seriously?

A suit isn't necessary. How does the professor usually dress? Mine frequently wears jeans, so I just wear my regular school clothes (nice casual...jeans/slacks and a blouse...no yoga pants) whenever I meet with him. If it's a professor who dresses in business casual or suits, though, I'd stick with business casual.


Yes seriously. Professor wears a suit 24/7, #1 in his field, wrote the book, wrote the supplement, gets paid in the 7 figures, traditional as they get. All other people interviewing to RA with him wore a suit as well, fancy that :roll:

Anonymous User
Posts: 273120
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: R.A. with big deal professor

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:02 pm

not OP but: T25, top 25% so far, would RA'ing be a bad decision for this summer?

User avatar
cantaboot
Posts: 204
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:12 am

Re: R.A. with big deal professor

Postby cantaboot » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:08 pm

not a bad deal. just a little 'mundane' but all work is mundane anyway.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: R.A. with big deal professor

Postby 20160810 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are there no legal jobs that don't require suits? I'm getting a tailored suit soon. I thought in California people stopped wearing suits. But yes, I am working on getting over the phobia. I have a suit phobia.

When I was a SA, I wore khakis and a polo most days.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.