1L Big Law SA With Question about 2L Summer etc.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L Big Law SA With Question about 2L Summer etc.

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:23 pm

I am a 1L at a top 20 LS and have a job this summer at a V20 firm in a major market (think NYC/DC). What is typically possible to swing 2L summer? Assuming I maintain second semester grades etc, I should be competitive for V5 firms in 2L OCI. I am also considering the SLIP program at DOJ to try to set up DOJ honors or clerkships etc.

So I guess my questions relate to how much I can fit in second summer: how many weeks during 2L summer does someone typically need to spend at the 1L SA firm for the requisite "victory lap" to secure a FT offer and does that period of time typically leave enough time to do SLIP or another top firm? Would the firm be more likely to reduce their 2L time requirement to let me split with DOJ than they would to let me split with another firm? Do they typically require the first few weeks of the summer, basically precluding any firms that also require me to work for them at the beginning of the summer?

Any thoughts, experience on topic would be helpful and appreciated.

Anonymous User

Re: 1L Big Law SA With Question about 2L Summer etc.

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:06 pm

Not sure why the subject line says "SBA" - it said "SA" when I went in to edit the typo...

yale2011

Re: 1L Big Law SBA With Question about 2L Summer etc.

Postby yale2011 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:08 pm

Last edited by yale2011 on Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:22 pm

Hilarious. Too bad about the budget cuts ending federal clerkships starting in 2013...

skrillt

Postby skrillt » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:23 pm

You'll get in everywhere you apply.
What exactly are you asking?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:29 pm

OP here. Normally, people work at one place their 2L summer and hope that turns into a job after graduation. I'm hoping that working at a V20 place my 1L summer will allow me to work at two places my 2L summer. To what extent have people done this in the past?

* I'm saying "place" instead of "f i r m" because otherwise it says "potato." See OP and today's date.

sebastian0622

Postby sebastian0622 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:30 pm

yale2011 wrote:See today's date.

j o b = [ERROR: 404]
S A = SBA
f i r m = potato

b i g l a w = magic unicorns?

skrillt

Postby skrillt » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Normally, people work at one place their 2L summer and hope that turns into a [ERROR: 404] after graduation. I'm hoping that working at a V20 place my 1L summer will allow me to work at two places my 2L summer. To what extent have people done this in the past?

* I'm saying "place" instead of "f i r m" because otherwise it says "potato." See OP and today's date.

Lots of people do this. Depends on the firm, but lots will let you do a short split 2L summer if you worked there 1L summer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:01 am

OK, now that this thread is back to normal:

I know people do it. What I'm wondering is how it ends up working out. How many weeks the 1L summer firm generally wants - whether that requirement is compatible with firms that require the first ten weeks of 2L summer/more flexible firms/SLIP. If anyone has personal experience or knows details of how the process works, it'd be helpful...

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:OK, now that this thread is back to normal:

I know people do it. What I'm wondering is how it ends up working out. How many weeks the 1L summer firm generally wants - whether that requirement is compatible with firms that require the first ten weeks of 2L summer/more flexible firms/SLIP. If anyone has personal experience or knows details of how the process works, it'd be helpful...

Varies by firm. Do you know anyone at your school who summered with the firm last year? I found out about my firm's policy by asking previous SAs, it was much less awkward than asking them directly.

burtonrideclub

Postby burtonrideclub » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:32 am

In TX, general rule seems to be 4 weeks back at the firm as a 2L. Things work a little differently down here though with out splits/

Return to “Legal Employment”