How to address associates and partners? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
abus

New

Re: How to address associates and partners?

Post by abus » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:19 am

Renzo wrote:
KeepitKind wrote:
rayiner wrote:In the U.S., in conversation, it's almost always appropriate to call someone by their first name, except in limited circumstances:
1) addressing professors ("Professor Smith")
2) addressing your significant others' when meeting for the first time ("Mr. Smith and Mrs. Smith")
3) addressing doctors in a professional setting ("Doctor Smith")
4) addressing judges, pretty much at any time ("Judge Smith" or "Justice Smith")
5) addressing elected legislators ("Senator Smith" or "Congressman Smith")
6) addressing elected executives ("Governor Smith" or "President Smith")
7) addressing clergy in certain religions ("Rabbi Smith")
8 ) addressing a superior military officer (or in similar cases like police or pilots)

When addressing senior coworkers, such as partners or executives, it is acceptable to use "Mr." or "Ms." (never "Mrs." for women) in conversation the first time, until they invariably tell you to call them by their first name. Never use "Mr." or "Ms." with a fellow non-executive, even if they are senior to you.

In written correspondence, it is acceptable to continue to use the honorific, again only for executives and partners. Indeed, it is always appropriate to use "Mr." or "Ms." in written correspondence with anyone with whom you are unfamiliar.

It is almost never appropriate to use a [ERROR: 404] title as an honorific, except in very limited cases where the honorific happens to coincide with the [ERROR: 404] title ("President," "Senator," "Congressman," etc).
#4 seems a bit misleading.. very few judges in america should be referred to as "Justice" - i believe only judges of a State or Federal Supreme Court, along with trial judges in NY, since its lowest trial court is the Supreme Court of NY. also, addressing them as "Your Honor" is rather common
I don't think it's misleading at all; a judge is "your honor" in court (never "Judge"), and always "Judge ____" outside of it.

It's one of the few honorifics that you would use socially or professionally. If I were introducing myself at a reception, I would say, "Judge ____." I wouldn't say, "Your Honor, it's a pleasure to meet you."

This is correct. Calling a judge "Your Honor" outside of the courtroom is weird. Normally just call them "Judge." For example: "What up, Judge?" or "What's popping, Judge?"

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”