BB annual sale(s)?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
XM3045

BB annual sale(s)?

Postby XM3045 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:47 pm

I'm starting an SA this summer and right now have a couple of really ghetto suits that were ok for OCI but probably not going to cut it in the real world. I know that BB has sales a couple times a year. Right now they have a 25% off sale if you sign up for one of their cards. I'm more or less broke right now, but could pretty easily swing getting 1 nice suit now or could pinch pennies and buy 2 (you get a discount if you buy 2) and just put it on the card and then pay it down once I start this summer.

So my question is if they have regular dates for their big sale, where I think they do like 2 for one kind of pricing? Can you combine the normal 15% off your first purchase with the card during those sales? I could maybe get my old suits re-tailored and make it though a month or so if the sale is coming up soon enough, but I don't think rocking what I have (look like they dug out of a 1987 bargin bin) will cut it for the whole summer.

Thanks.

rad lulz

Re: BB annual sale(s)?

Postby rad lulz » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:48 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

skrillt

Postby skrillt » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:50 pm

They do 2 semi-annual sales that are 40% off. One is Christmas->New Years and the other is in June. The winter one is usually better; this past year they did an additional 20% off. You're never going to get Jos A Bank type deals at Brooks Brothers ("2 for 1").

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:52 pm

I think I'm going to just stick it out with the Jos. A. Bank suits I bought for OCI. I have 2 older suits that still fit, plus 2 I got just for OCI last year, which obviously fit much better since I got them just a few months ago. My firm is business formal (unfortunately), but I'd imagine 4 suits is enough for the summer, given I'd only have to double up once a week.

I figured that, if I get a permanent offer at the end of the summer, then I can replace the 2 older suits with something much nicer as a treat (perhaps grab 2 BB suits if there is a sale), and then those 2 would be the high end suits I own, and the Jos. A Bank suits would become the more everyday suits, as opposed to the opposite which is true now. Timing seems perfect for this, given that the best BB sale is around Christmas, so I'd already have offer in hand (fingers crossed), and can just get them later this year.

skrillt

Postby skrillt » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think I'm going to just stick it out with the Jos. A. Bank suits I bought for OCI. I have 2 older suits that still fit, plus 2 I got just for OCI last year, which obviously fit much better since I got them just a few months ago. My firm is business formal (unfortunately), but I'd imagine 4 suits is enough for the summer, given I'd only have to double up once a week.

I figured that, if I get a permanent offer at the end of the summer, then I can replace the 2 older suits with something much nicer as a treat (perhaps grab 2 BB suits if there is a sale), and then those 2 would be the high end suits I own, and the Jos. A Bank suits would become the more everyday suits, as opposed to the opposite which is true now. Timing seems perfect for this, given that the best BB sale is around Christmas, so I'd already have offer in hand (fingers crossed), and can just get them later this year.

This is so interesting. Tell me all about your suiting plans for the summer and beyond. What about after graduation? Who do you see yourself wearing 5, 10 years down the line?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:57 pm

skrillt wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I think I'm going to just stick it out with the Jos. A. Bank suits I bought for OCI. I have 2 older suits that still fit, plus 2 I got just for OCI last year, which obviously fit much better since I got them just a few months ago. My firm is business formal (unfortunately), but I'd imagine 4 suits is enough for the summer, given I'd only have to double up once a week.

This is so interesting. Tell me all about your suiting plans for the summer and beyond. What about after graduation? Who do you see yourself wearing 5, 10 years down the line?

I will be sure to update you

I actually did have a Q though. Do you guys think 4 suits is enough if you have to wear one every day? Never had to wear suit on consistent basis before so I have no clue.

XM3045

Postby XM3045 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:00 pm

Ok so before this turns into the typical TLS thread, the answer is that there is a 40% off sale coming up in June.

Anyone know if you can combine the first time credit card purchases with those sales?

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:03 pm

rad lulz wrote:For biglawl, you need the moast preftigious brand, Jos. A. Bank.

Ran here to poast this, brother.

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:29 pm

XM3045 wrote:Ok so before this turns into the typical TLS thread, the answer is that there is a 40% off sale coming up in June.

Anyone know if you can combine the first time credit card purchases with those sales?

Not sure, but you CAN combine it with the 15% off card you get with every BB purchase. The offer will say on "regularly-priced merchandise" but if you shop online and punch in the promo code, it will mark down even sale items another 15%

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think I'm going to just stick it out with the Jos. A. Bank suits I bought for OCI.

A rare occasion when the credited move is both decadent and shrewd

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:37 pm

stratocophic wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I think I'm going to just stick it out with the Jos. A. Bank suits I bought for OCI.

A rare occasion when the credited move is both decadent and shrewd

My thoughts are that, since these suits are essentially brand new (only worn during OCI), and tailored perfectly for me (since I"m the exact same size I was during last summer), that they would be more than sufficient, at least for this summer. I mean, I could always do the June BB sale and upgrade early, but I'm not sure I see the point in rushing. My bigger issue is whether 4 suits will even be enough if its business formal. My intuition tells me it is, but I have no clue.

monkey85

Postby monkey85 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:50 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:

Twoferone is a deal that can't be beat. JosaBank 4 life.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:53 pm

monkey85 wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:

Twoferone is a deal that can't be beat. JosaBank 4 life.

They are actually doing 3 for 1 right now, but only for like a day or 2. To be honest, thats a pretty sweet deal

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:01 pm

Just picked up a $1000 suit and four pairs of $128 trousers for $750 total. The sale prices were only online (I went to a physical store and while they had the exact clothing that I bought in stock, it was full price). I'm a very average size and the colors / styles are pretty traditional, but the Fitzgerald fit, so a little slimmer. Not sure what's still available online. But if you buy something and you want the free tailoring that comes along with in-store purchases, then have your purchase sent to the physical store. You can get measured there and have everything tailored (most adjustments are free) when it arrives.

As a side note, Nordstrom was having a pretty great sale on their brand of shirts as of a few days ago. Trim fit, spread collar dress shirts for $30 each (normally $90). I picked up these: http://f.cl.ly/items/2y0I3p13111E1L2h2c ... 4%20PM.jpg http://f.cl.ly/items/3U042u3e2a081o173v ... 6%20PM.jpg http://f.cl.ly/items/1F2h0V0J1J0C1p0R32 ... 4%20PM.jpg . Quality is good. Again, not sure if this sale is still going on though.

mrloblaw

Postby mrloblaw » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:14 pm

Provided that your suit isn't 10% spandex or some other god-awful monstrosity, you're probably fine. A well-fitting, properly tailored cheapass suit looks far better than I saw on most people at OCI. In contrast, I'm not particularly happy with my slim-fit $1000 BB suit that couldn't be tailored to fit my concentration camp figure well.

And Helmholtz, can you tell the Nordstrom shirts are no-iron by looking at them? BB makes the only ones I've found that don't look like they're made out of plastic. If they're similar quality, that's a freaking awesome deal.
Last edited by mrloblaw on Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:20 pm

Helmholtz wrote:Just picked up a $1000 suit and four pairs of $128 trousers for $750 total. The sale prices were only online (I went to a physical store and while they had the exact clothing that I bought in stock, it was full price). I'm a very average size and the colors / styles are pretty traditional, but the Fitzgerald fit, so a little slimmer. Not sure what's still available online. But if you buy something and you want the free tailoring that comes along with in-store purchases, then have your purchase sent to the physical store. You can get measured there and have everything tailored (most adjustments are free) when it arrives.

As a side note, Nordstrom was having a pretty great sale on their brand of shirts as of a few days ago. Trim fit, spread collar dress shirts for $30 each (normally $90). I picked up these: http://f.cl.ly/items/2y0I3p13111E1L2h2c ... 4%20PM.jpg http://f.cl.ly/items/3U042u3e2a081o173v ... 6%20PM.jpg http://f.cl.ly/items/1F2h0V0J1J0C1p0R32 ... 4%20PM.jpg . Quality is good. Again, not sure if this sale is still going on though.

Great, thanks for the info on the Nordstrom shirt sale. I really need some nice new shirts (all I currently have are the cheap poly-cotton blends from when I was an undegrad and wore dress clothes only once in a blue moon).

NinerFan

Postby NinerFan » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:36 pm

Just to provide a bit of perspective, my non-peer suit was thankfully good enough to net me a job at OCI, despite costing less than 200 dollars.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:40 pm

NinerFan wrote:Just to provide a bit of perspective, my non-peer suit was thankfully good enough to net me a job at OCI, despite costing less than 200 dollars.

No surprise. Every lawyer I've talked to about this said they couldn't give two shits about what kind of suit you wear or how much it costs so long as its tailored well. Guys don't care about the clothing of other men in the way that women care about the clothing of other women, and that point was made quite a few times (in that subtly sexist boys club sort of way that many lawyers convey)

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:52 pm

mrloblaw wrote:And Helmholtz, can you tell the Nordstrom shirts are no-iron by looking at them? BB makes the only ones I've found that don't look like they're made out of plastic. If they're similar quality, that's a freaking awesome deal.

They feel and look similar in quality to the $90 BB shirts.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:18 pm

I'm cheap. I just buy from o.co and it ends up costing me $49.99+shipping. BB is too baller for me now and Jos A Bank is too fat for me.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:45 pm

if your firm isnt formal dress i'm not sure i'd bother. i wore a suit on the first day and the four days we were in court and that was pretty much it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:53 pm

Figured I'd ask one more time to see people's thoughts: If firm is business formal, how many suits should I have? I have 4 right now. Regardless of which brands, what quality, etc. I'm just curious whether you think I would need more, or does that sound like something that can wait until I get a permanent offer.

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Figured I'd ask one more time to see people's thoughts: If firm is business formal, how many suits should I have? I have 4 right now. Regardless of which brands, what quality, etc. I'm just curious whether you think I would need more, or does that sound like something that can wait until I get a permanent offer.

I don't personally have any experience with this, so feel free to ignore my advice, but from what I've read both on TLS and other places, you should be fine with 4 suits. Having a variety of shirts and ties is more important than having lots of suits.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:59 pm

Kikero wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Figured I'd ask one more time to see people's thoughts: If firm is business formal, how many suits should I have? I have 4 right now. Regardless of which brands, what quality, etc. I'm just curious whether you think I would need more, or does that sound like something that can wait until I get a permanent offer.

I don't personally have any experience with this, so feel free to ignore my advice, but from what I've read both on TLS and other places, you should be fine with 4 suits. Having a variety of shirts and ties is more important than having lots of suits.

Awesome. I certainly have a variety of ties. Its the shirts I will need to stock up on I guess. All I have right now are the cheap poly-cotton blend white shirts that I needed to get me through OCI. Checked out that Nordstrom sale above, but looks like its over. $30 for $90 shirts sounds excellent, so hopefully something like that comes around in the next 2 months from one of the reputable stores.

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:11 pm

BB has their non-iron shirts for $44 (about 50% off) pretty frequently. There are all kinds of good deals on shirts from a number of stores though if you watch for them. Just subscribe to a bunch of email lists and they'll notify you of major sales.

Return to “Legal Employment”