When Can a Resume be two pages? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
wiseowl

Silver

Re: When Can a Resume be two pages?

Post by wiseowl » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:48 pm

IP is the exception to the two-page rule, period. I have had a two page resume since college and I've done just fine. CSO not only approved, they told me to add more. The key is to put things on the first page (as someone mentioned earlier) such that if you get a dinosaur that refuses to read past page one, he can do that. You want to write it, however, so they have no choice.

This thread is so douchey and smarmy I thought it was an April fools joke when I first read it.

Eco

Bronze

Post by Eco » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:56 pm

Keep it at one page period, but seriously, how hard is it to put all that on one page? You're putting too much in detail if you can't. You don't have to describe your jobs too much on your resume--that's what the interview is for.

Eco

Bronze

Post by Eco » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:58 pm

My CSO advises that the only time a resume should be two pages is if the second page is a dick pic...
haha lol

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For most purposes, it should be 1 page. When I applied to law school, I made it 2 pages since I wanted to include various school organizations, community service activities, etc. and go into a bit of detail regarding my leadership roles, etc. A number of schools specifically told me that a 2 page resume was entirely sufficient for the app process.

That being said, for OCI and job applications, make sure it is one page.
Yeah this. I have previously argued for 2 page resumes for getting accepted to law school, but that is entirely different than getting a legal job. Every resume should be tailored to its purpose. Here, the purpose is to convince an employer at a glance that you are the one they should hire, or at least interview. Anything that doesn't serve that goal should be cut from the resume. If you have 2 pages, you either have an incredible career or, more likely, you are overvaluing some things.

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:15 pm

geoduck wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For most purposes, it should be 1 page. When I applied to law school, I made it 2 pages since I wanted to include various school organizations, community service activities, etc. and go into a bit of detail regarding my leadership roles, etc. A number of schools specifically told me that a 2 page resume was entirely sufficient for the app process.

That being said, for OCI and [ERROR: 404] applications, make sure it is one page.
Yeah this. I have previously argued for 2 page resumes for getting accepted to law school, but that is entirely different than getting a legal [ERROR: 404]. Every resume should be tailored to its purpose. Here, the purpose is to convince an employer at a glance that you are the one they should hire, or at least interview. Anything that doesn't serve that goal should be cut from the resume. If you have 2 pages, you either have an incredible career or, more likely, you are overvaluing some things.
Eh, I agree with everything in this thread about there being a presumption against two page resumes. You can rebut the presumption with things like IP-law, application to teach/other grad school, or unique circumstances. Also, in rare rare cases, similar to a person having unique circumstances, a regular legal employer may also want two pages (I know of one federal agency that will not look at anyone who submits a resume that is only one page long. Their ideal is 3+, but they will consider people who only submit 2 pagers). Otherwise, just shorten it. There is always a way to make it fit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”