general commercial litigator wants to transition into patent

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

general commercial litigator wants to transition into patent

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:30 am

Me: 3L with no tech background, taken a survey IP course, plenty of interest in patent litigation.
You: give me advice on how to get an "in" without a tech background.

My firm has an active patent litigation practice, but the non-engineers tend to stay away from the group - maybe they aren't staffed on patent cases, maybe they don't ask - I don't know.

Anonymous User

Re: general commercial litigator wants to transition into patent

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:Me: 3L with no tech background, taken a survey IP course, plenty of interest in patent litigation.
You: give me advice on how to get an "in" without a tech background.

My firm has an active patent litigation practice, but the non-engineers tend to stay away from the group - maybe they aren't staffed on patent cases, maybe they don't ask - I don't know.

I have very little expertise on this subject but I wanted to contribute that opportunities to make this transition depend on the firm. The firm I am going to has a good number (about 35%) of their IP team (50+ lawyers total in that practice group) that have no technical background. From what I can tell, it is the more seasoned litigators that have made that move at my firm.

Anecdotally, I have heard that peer firms have almost no lawyers from non-technical backgrounds in that practice group. It seems to be something that either firms do or do not do.

I think it has a lot to do with the types of cases and clients that the firms take on. I would look for a firm that has lawyers who make that transition and eventually try to lateral there (either directly to IP or otherwise).

Good luck.

Anonymous User

Re: general commercial litigator wants to transition into patent

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:19 am

I know Quinn DC has hired some non-patent background folks to do patent. Maybe look to find an opening office that needs you.

Return to “Legal Employment”