boalt coif gpa cutoff

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

boalt coif gpa cutoff

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:51 pm

anyone know what it is?
nuts & boalts has this at 3.4-3.6 and says that's what used to be on the registrar webpage. the current registar webpage has no mention of this.

anyone know the deal?

Anonymous User

Re: boalt coif gpa cutoff

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:03 pm

While people are answering this question, can anyone tell me what Minnesota's Coif GPA cutoff is? The people at our school won't tell us.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone know what it is?
nuts & boalts has this at 3.4-3.6 and says that's what used to be on the registrar webpage. the current registar webpage has no mention of this.

anyone know the deal?

I'd be kinda surprised if it were 3.6 and shocked if it were only 3.4...that seems really low, meaning HH's would have to be distributed across quite a few students. Most of the stuff I've read on TLS seems to indicate the contrary, i.e., that the same people tend to eat up almost all the HH's. It also seems implausible that the top 10% would manage only 42-43 GPA points out of every 12 units (for example, 3 HH credits and 9 H credits). It would definitely be nice if the registrar would once again post past years' Coif info, though.

This might help, too:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=176342

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:anyone know what it is?

anyone know the deal?

I'd be kinda surprised if it were 3.6 and shocked if it were only 3.4...that seems really low, meaning HH's would have to be distributed across quite a few students. Most of the stuff I've read on TLS seems to indicate the contrary, i.e., that the same people tend to eat up almost all the HH's. It also seems implausible that the top 10% would manage only 42-43 GPA points out of every 12 units (for example, 3 HH credits and 9 H credits). It would definitely be nice if the registrar would once again post past years' Coif info, though.

This might help, too:
http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 3&t=176342

same people phenomenon might not hold true for 2Ls and 3Ls, who tend to take 10-20 student classes. In those classes, it's definitely more random because you have to basically land amjur or prosser to get an HH.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'd be kinda surprised if it were 3.6 and shocked if it were only 3.4...that seems really low

why do you assume the same group of people get HHs throughout law school? Classes are so different.

Most ppl I talked to who straight-Pd their 1L year are getting Hs and HHs as 2Ls and 3Ls at least in some classes.

While a good number of 1Ls get straight Ps, I don't think THAT many law students GRADUATE out of Boalt without ever getting an H.
takes some ppl a little bit of time to figure out the law school game.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:same people phenomenon might not hold true for 2Ls and 3Ls, who tend to take 10-20 student classes. In those classes, it's definitely more random because you have to basically land amjur or prosser to get an HH.

Not sure why the size of the class would alter the pattern; yes, making the classes smaller increases volatility/fluctuation within the pattern, but the pattern should still generally hold true. It doesn't really make sense to say "the same people tend to get all the HH's" in the context of general class rank if you're only talking about 1L...also, 1L's take graded small classes as well as 2L/3L's (mod + WOA for new 1L's, in addition to those who choose a seminar 2nd semeser).

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'd be kinda surprised if it were 3.6 and shocked if it were only 3.4...that seems really low

why do you assume the same group of people get HHs throughout law school? Classes are so different.

Most ppl I talked to who straight-Pd their 1L year are getting Hs and HHs as 2Ls and 3Ls at least in some classes.

takes some ppl a little bit of time to figure out the law school game.

I'm not really assuming; I'm basing it off what I've read on TLS and Nuts & Boalts. On each, a number of people have said that there's just not a lot of change in who gets HH/H's, but I haven't seen anybody assert the opposite. Not saying the information is perfect, just that it's all we have to go on.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:59 pm

I have heard from several sources (not sure if accurate) that Coif requires at least a 3.9 (in other words, a fairly even split between HH's and H's...or if you have P's, then more HH's to balance them out), but I'm not sure if this is true. I think anyone with a 4.0 or above is pretty safely in Coif.

Keep in mind that an HH credit is worth 5, an H credit is worth 3, and a P is worth 2. So there's really not much of a huge difference between P's and H's. What really matters is getting lots of HH's. Someone with straight H's and a handful of HH's would probably not be near the Coif range.

Return to “Legal Employment”