1L jobless Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L jobless

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:48 pm

I've applied to close to 100 jobs in government and public interest since January. I landed a few interviews, but nothing has panned out. I haven't heard from about 50 places. What can I do at this point? Above median at T10 if that makes a difference. The profs I have a relationship with aren't hiring RAs. My goal is biglaw.

LawIdiot86

Silver

Re: 1L jobless

Post by LawIdiot86 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've applied to close to 100 jobs in government and public interest since January. I landed a few interviews, but nothing has panned out. I haven't heard from about 50 places. What can I do at this point? Above median at T10 if that makes a difference. The profs I have a relationship with aren't hiring RAs. My goal is biglaw.
Only 100 in gov/pi? There have to be at least that many judges in your school's natural market (Philly, Chicago, DC, LA, or NY). Start calling chambers and asking who is still hiring. Also, look at the corporate internships your school has listed online. And apply to profs besides those you have relationships with.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:07 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I've applied to close to 100 jobs in government and public interest since January. I landed a few interviews, but nothing has panned out. I haven't heard from about 50 places. What can I do at this point? Above median at T10 if that makes a difference. The profs I have a relationship with aren't hiring RAs. My goal is biglaw.
Only 100 in gov/pi? There have to be at least that many judges in your school's natural market (Philly, Chicago, DC, LA, or NY). Start calling chambers and asking who is still hiring. Also, look at the corporate internships your school has listed online. And apply to profs besides those you have relationships with.
Thanks. I haven't applied to judges since I was told I couldn't refuse if I got an offer from one and I was really interested in certain other jobs. I'll start doing that now.

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:
Thanks. I haven't applied to judges since I was told I couldn't refuse if I got an offer from one and I was really interested in certain other jobs. I'll start doing that now.
No one cares what you do 1L summer as long as it's legal. You're upper half at a T10, that means as long as you blend in with the other upper half people at your school, you get a biglaw position. Maybe not your dream position, but as long as you don't throw any flags at OCI (like having done non-legal your 1L summer) or skip out on mock interviews, you're set if you maintain your current rank.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:06 pm

Apply to every prof looking for an RA, whether you know them or not. Especially focus on profs that don't teach 1L courses because they are going to be the most likely to hire someone they don't know, since much fewer 2Ls than 1Ls will be applying for RA positions. Let career services know you are still looking for a job if they don't know already. They may be able to help send things your way.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

berkeleykel06

Bronze

Post by berkeleykel06 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Apply to every prof looking for an RA, whether you know them or not. Especially focus on profs that don't teach 1L courses because they are going to be the most likely to hire someone they don't know, since much fewer 2Ls than 1Ls will be applying for RA positions. Let career services know you are still looking for a job if they don't know already. They may be able to help send things your way.
didn't intend for that to be anon

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:
yeah, but what you are REALLY interested in is biglaw, so you should just focus on getting ANY legal job over the summer because that is certainly sufficient for long-term biglaw purposes. but i know you knew that, so i digress. talk to your CSO and see if you can get the low down on what judges are still hiring and what aren't and how you should go about contacting those that might still be hiring. im sure you'll you find something, but you just gotta get on it.

2LsAPlenty

Bronze

Post by 2LsAPlenty » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:41 am

No fooling, the buses are leaving the station!

roranoa

Silver

Post by roranoa » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:46 am

Btw, is your situation common for people with your stats? (T10, above average?)
Because if it is, this is pretty scary.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:53 am

roranoa wrote:

I know at my T14 of a 1L top half, 2L with WE and top third, and 3L with firm exp, top 15% and secondary journal, all of whom have nothing despite months of applications. State judges, random federal agencies, network events like crazy.

johndhi

Bronze

Post by johndhi » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:33 am

roranoa wrote:

whatever, it's just 1L. OP: apply to RA with other professors and ask your career servies offices where else to look.

dreakol

Silver

Post by dreakol » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:41 pm

oh hai me

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:46 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote: I know at my T14 of a 1L top half, 2L with WE and top third, and 3L with firm exp, top 15% and secondary journal, all of whom have nothing despite months of applications. State judges, random federal agencies, network events like crazy.
I go to a T14 as well and I don't know anyone that is unemployed. I know it probably varies by school and group of people you hang out with but things aren't as bad as I expected here.

It really seems like the people that are having the hardest time are those going for public interest and want something extremely rare or specific.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:29 pm

I don't know what this whole don't do non-legal work thing is. I worked in M&A for an investment bank my 1L summer on the business side (i.e. not legal). v5 SA lined up - employers ate up having a practical finance background.

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:45 pm

shoeshine wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote: I know at my T14 of a 1L top half, 2L with WE and top third, and 3L with firm exp, top 15% and secondary journal, all of whom have nothing despite months of applications. State judges, random federal agencies, network events like crazy.
I go to a T14 as well and I don't know anyone that is unemployed. I know it probably varies by school and group of people you hang out with but things aren't as bad as I expected here.

It really seems like the people that are having the hardest time are those going for public interest and want something extremely rare or specific.
True. My friends without jobs are all committed to extremely specific fields to the exclusion of anything else (antitrust, international arbitration, entertainment, technology, ERISA) or if they are 3Ls, they have no idea what they want beyond "I want to make a lot of money and help people doing something interesting." If you goal is to just get a job doing anything in the law, including law variants like contracting, compliance, politics and consulting and you are above the bottom 15%, you are probably ok at a T14.

Anonymous User wrote:I don't know what this whole don't do non-legal work thing is. I worked in M&A for an investment bank my 1L summer on the business side (i.e. not legal). v5 SA lined up - employers ate up having a practical finance background.
That's different... If you worked at McKinsey, an i-bank, or something as elite and business-related as a biglaw firm, that lets you violate the normal legal rule.

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:41 pm

i feel OP's pain.

i'm jobless myself at the moment; had a couple interviews in the last 2 weeks though. rejected at all but still under consideration at one. what's crazy is a lot of these were unpaid small firms, and they explicitly told me they were getting over 200 applications.

might just look into a research position at my school if i can swing it (at least it's paid)...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”