Am I DOOMED?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BlackLetterLaw2013

Am I DOOMED?

Postby BlackLetterLaw2013 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:49 am

Gonna keep it semi-brief:

1L summer associate in my primary market with a well-known boutique civil law firm. The firm only allows you to summer once (sounds weird but true). Spilt the summer with the firm and a state court judge. Now, 2L and struck out at OCI from any firm (sucks!) and mass mailed. Had a callback at a corporation two weeks ago, thought it went well but haven't heard back as of yet (good or bad). Through my contact with the state judge from 1L summer, got an offer to intern with a Federal District Court Judge (11th Circuit), in the territory I want to practice in. Grades 1L year sucked (2.8), got a 3.4 last semester but thanks to my school's new curve implemented last summer, my overall only increased to 3.0. Should be increasing again this semester as well.

My question is, given my background, do I still have a chance to land a job before graduation at any firm? Should I do the internship with the judge or take a summer class because I already have a judge on my resume.

Other Softs: Secondary Journal, URM(AA Male), and published already (1L summer).

tr8877

Re: Am I DOOMED?

Postby tr8877 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:48 pm

what school do you go to?

2LsAPlenty

Postby 2LsAPlenty » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:40 am

You need to network and keep it going. If you want private practice, you need to find some firm experience or work for a judge in your target area.

DrGuano

Postby DrGuano » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:50 pm

I would definitely take the job with the judge. Work hard, impress, build a relationship with this judge who is certain to have connections to firms/government offices. Let him know your situation over the course of the summer. I know several people here in NYC where I'm at school who've leveraged relationships with the judges they worked for to get introductions to partners/ADAs/AUSAs, etc., they ended up working/interning for.

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:56 pm

Don't take summer classes. When do you expect to hear from the corporation? Maybe get in touch with them, and if that's not going to pan out work for the judge.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:41 pm

seatown12 wrote:Don't take summer classes. When do you expect to hear from the corporation? Maybe get in touch with them, and if that's not going to pan out work for the judge.

why is taking summer classes bad?

pillowpet

Postby pillowpet » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
seatown12 wrote:Don't take summer classes. When do you expect to hear from the corporation? Maybe get in touch with them, and if that's not going to pan out work for the judge.

i would think it is because of $$$. at my school its a fixed rate per semester for 12+ units, while summer classes are per unit. summer classes may lighten your load for a semester, but you can always fix that by taking a non-curved seminar or something.

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

My understanding was the OP, a 2L, was considering summer school instead of working for the judge, because he "already has a judge on his resume." He needs to do some kind of legal work 2L summer if he wants to be taken seriously during his 3L job hunt.

2LLLL

Postby 2LLLL » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:40 pm

Taking summer classes sends the signal that you couldn't get any job.

Brassica7

Postby Brassica7 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:02 pm

I took a summer class after 1L, but that was in addition to interning. I had a public interest background, and I took a business law class to help give me something to talk about at OCI/convince firms I was not a public-interest-only candidate. It did add to my debt, but I think it was worth it for me. However, I believe it is a terrible idea to only take summer classes. Not having a summer of law-related experience puts you behind those candidates who have it. Taking summer classes usually adds nothing to a resume, and basically says this person couldn't work for free.

Good luck to you, OP.

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:29 am

pillowpet wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

i would think it is because of $$$. at my school its a fixed rate per semester for 12+ units, while summer classes are per unit. summer classes may lighten your load for a semester, but you can always fix that by taking a non-curved seminar or something.

At my school you can take a summer class for free. Last summer I worked full time and took a class at night. Got a great grade and had one less class to take the following semester. Taking a summer class is not inherently bad just don't do it by itself.

BlackLetterLaw2013

Postby BlackLetterLaw2013 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:16 am

OP Back...thanks for all you guys insight..i think someone above asks what school I attend if I'm not mistaking... T2(50-60). Well, I didn't end up getting the corp. job...the guy said everybody liked me and there was nothing better I could have done in the interview...it was a hard selection..which means they took someone who had better grades duh lol..Also, I think the judge might be my best option at this point, although, I did just get another OCI interview last week from a great firm so we will see how that goes this week...

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Because its not legal experience... I have done hiring for attorneys... An applicant with one summer job and one summer class the next summer would have no shot at getting an offer from me...

2LsAPlenty

Postby 2LsAPlenty » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:26 am

Some just don't seem to realize how problematic the market is with respect to private practice jobs. If you are in the bottom 60% (except at a top school) with no real legal experience during the 1L and 2L summer, you can pretty much kiss private practice goodbye.

Return to “Legal Employment”