DPW Split: NYC & Menlo Park

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

DPW Split: NYC & Menlo Park

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:33 am

Hi there,

I'm thinking about splitting between NYC and Menlo Park for DPW. Could anyone who have experience working in DPW Menlo Park (or just firms in the area) comment on the type of work, environment, office feels? DPW Menlo Park is about 50 people, so obviously it's a much smaller than DPW NYC (about 300). I have heard nice things like collegial environment, everyone knows each other etc so far. But I am concerned about the work and logistics: I'm not at all a tech person, and I don't drive.

I'm a big biker however and have a road bike that can climb hills, so transportation should be okay as long as there're housing options within 10 miles radius (don't want to commute more than 20 miles a day...) Most of all, I do want to experience living in CA since my boyfriend is out there and we hope to root down out west at some points in the future. Would a rotation in CA give me an "up" when I recruit with firms out there later on?

Thanks much for any comments/ suggestions on Menlo Park practices, or splitting in general.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xcountryjunkie

Re: DPW Split: NYC & Menlo Park

Postby xcountryjunkie » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:51 pm

I'd remove some details. It would be very easy for your firm to figure out who you are despite the anon function.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:20 pm

OP here, thanks for pointing that out.

gotmilk?

Postby gotmilk? » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:26 pm

Feel: it'll feel totally different than NYC. It's a suburban environment, and I find it very laid back.

Work: unless you're doing patent litigation or something, the tech focus won't matter (especially as a summer). DPW's Menlo Park office serves the firm's Silicon Valley/tech clients, but on the same kinds of stuff the NYC office does. The MP office's work doesn't overlap too much with Wilson/Cooley/Fenwick type Silicon Valley practice- you won't be working with startups, (I think) there's no venture capital practice, etc. Its only effect is that your clients will be tech companies, but that doesn't really matter because you're doing the same type of work.

Logistics: Biking works fine. The area isn't especially hilly either (it's not like SF or Berkeley), so you won't have any tough bike rides. There aren't a lot of apartments in Menlo Park, I'd guess there aren't a lot of sublets for very short periods of time, and the market is pretty dang competitive in the summer, but if you were willing to go a bit higher in price you'll likely be able to find something. Coming from NYC, the price shock of SV prices that most people experience probably won't feel so bad (400 square feet for ONLY 2k/month?!?! ALRIGHT!)

EDIT: re: housing, if you're looking at prices now, keep in mind that they go up significantly come summer time. The public schools in the area are excellent, so that market is filled with parents trying to move into a school district for their kids. They are extremely aggressive, and they even invade the 1 bedroom rental market.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm not at all a tech person, and I don't drive.

From my understanding of SV firms, the former isn't going to hurt you at all. The latter however... I personally can't imagine living in the Bay Area (other than probably SF/Oakland) without a car. Though I imagine you can probably find a place close enough that biking would be feasible.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:32 pm

OP here, thanks guys for the insights. Luckily it looks like DPW office is only about 4-5 miles from the Stanford campus, so if I could find a sublet there that'd be a pleasant and doable 20-30 minute bike commute. A friend said he lived within 2-3 miles and skate-boarded to his office (another biglaw) everyday :D

Anyone has insights on the big office v. small office feel?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Would a rotation in CA give me an "up" when I recruit with firms out there later on?

Why wouldn't you just take your Menlo Park office offer instead?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:47 pm

I'm thinking about splitting between NYC and Menlo Park for DPW. Could anyone who have experience working in DPW Menlo Park (or just firms in the area) comment on the type of work, environment, office feels? DPW Menlo Park is about 50 people, so obviously it's a much smaller than DPW NYC (about 300). I have heard nice things like collegial environment, everyone knows each other etc so far. But I am concerned about the work and logistics: I'm not at all a tech person, and I don't drive.

It's a fun split, and honestly a nice change of pace from NYC for part of the summer. Several people in the NYC class typically do it each year. The work environment is great. The office is basically a Spanish villa converted into an office. It's very peaceful. People are very friendly, and with only 50-60 lawyers you quickly get to know everyone.

The work is actually measurably different than the NYC office. A lot more of the clients in Menlo Park are tech companies, and while DPW doesn't really work with start-ups, some of the companies are less established than the mega-banks the NYC office usually handles. They did the Pandora IPO, for example. The work itself is similar--capital markets, M&A, and litigation. Menlo Park does patent litigation, which NYC doesn't really do. One major difference is that corporate associates aren't segregated into capital markets, M&A, and credit like the NYC office. Because of the size of the office corporate associates do a little bit of all three.

I'm a big biker however and have a road bike that can climb hills, so transportation should be okay as long as there're housing options within 10 miles radius (don't want to commute more than 20 miles a day...) Most of all, I do want to experience living in CA since my boyfriend is out there and we hope to root down out west at some points in the future. Would a rotation in CA give me an "up" when I recruit with firms out there later on?

Downtown Palo Alto is within biking distance, and there is housing there. California is amazing. Very different vibe than NYC. Both are energetic, but NYC in a "chain smoking heavy drinker who pulls late nights" sort of way, and Silicon Valley in a "foodie cycling enthusiast who pulls early mornings" sort of way.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:33 am

OP here, thanks everyone for the helpful insights. One last concern: do you think splitting will in any way affect the quality/ breadth of my work at the primary office, i.e, spending only 8 weeks instead of 12 in NYC? (The offer would come from the primary office). The short time frame would neccesitate fewer cases, less exposure to partners, less time to interact with the class and other associates etc. On the other hand, four weeks might not be enough time to build solid relationships in another office?

A lot of SAs in different firms rotate abroad and to different offices so I guess the above concern can't be that robust. But I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:56 am

A ton of people rotate, it's not a concern at all. You'll get all the feel you need.

DPW's summer program isn't a game to be won. By the end everyone (more or less) knows everyone and things are extremely relaxed. You don't need to impress them (you already have) - you just need to get to know them, and 8 instead of 12 weeks won't be too short by any stretch of the imagination.

drbarry987

Postby drbarry987 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:50 pm

Not to thread jack but how does this work? Do you request to rotate with another office after interviewing with the home office you bidded on (NYC in your case)? Does this make it any easier to start your career in the NYC HQ and then transfer to the sv office as say, a midlevel?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:19 pm

drbarry987 wrote:Not to thread jack but how does this work? Do you request to rotate with another office after interviewing with the home office you bidded on (NYC in your case)? Does this make it any easier to start your career in the NYC HQ and then transfer to the sv office as say, a midlevel?

Yeah you don't need to bring it up in your interview, they offer this to you in early February. For the foreign offices you do need to write a short blurb about why you are interested in working there. If you can demonstrate some sort of a connection (language skills, etc.) it probably gives you a boost, but I don't think its mandatory. For Menlo Park I'm under the impression you just check a box, but OP probably knows that process better than I do.

Can't speak on whether or not this aids in your chances of switching offices later on since I am just an incoming SA, but I'd be interested to know if any mid-levels at DPW have done this (specifically the NY to SV route) or know of colleagues who have and how easy/difficult it was. I guess it depends a lot on how much work they have in CA--the legal market there got hit hard by the recession but I can see it picking up in the next few years.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:56 pm

the legal market there got hit hard by the recession but I can see it picking up in the next few years.

Legal market there is already really strong, with heavy demand in IP, VC, PE, and M&A work.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:20 am

Different anon, bumping this. Anyone ask for a split coming from the Menlo Park office, or are they more strict about doing it the other way around?

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:06 pm

Can anyone who has done this split in the past PM me? I have some questions and I'd love to get some detailed advice! Thanks :)

Return to “Legal Employment”