Dropping Out Because of Job Prospects/Hatred for the Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rocon7383

Re: Dropping Out Because of Job Prospects/Hatred for the Law

Postby rocon7383 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:21 am

respect.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:12 pm

dailygrind wrote:Respect for what must have been a very hard choice.

Anonymous User

Re: Dropping Out Because of [ERROR: 404] Prospects/Hatred for th

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:35 pm

OP here. I am beginning to wonder what I should tell my summer employer if i do decide to drop out. I feel guilty leaving them high and dry but also don't want to eliminate this option right now.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I am beginning to wonder what I should tell my summer employer if i do decide to drop out. I feel guilty leaving them high and dry but also don't want to eliminate this option right now.

Got to your summer job and make sure you really hate law would be my advice.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I am beginning to wonder what I should tell my summer employer if i do decide to drop out. I feel guilty leaving them high and dry but also don't want to eliminate this option right now.

Drop out and stop updating this thread. We will know you made the right choice by the fact that you will never come here again.

It will be like the final scene in Good Will Hunting where they go to pick Matt Damon up and he doesn't come out and they know he has moved on to better things.

Go be Matt Damon.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:46 pm

shoeshine wrote:

Drop out and stop updating this thread. We will know you made the right choice by the fact that you will never come here again.

It will be like the final scene in Good Will Hunting where they go to pick Matt Damon up and he doesn't come out and they know he has moved on to better things.

Go be Matt Damon.

Sassy!

bns_77

Postby bns_77 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:13 pm

shoeshine wrote:

Go be Matt Damon.

I know Affleck pretty much told Matt Damon that he wanted him to ditch out on everything, but the fact that Damon took him so literally and straight up left everyone hanging after they bought him a car was pretty rude, IMO.

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:27 pm

bns_77 wrote:
shoeshine wrote:

Go be Matt Damon.

I know Affleck pretty much told Matt Damon that he wanted him to ditch out on everything, but the fact that Damon took him so literally and straight up left everyone hanging after they bought him a car was pretty rude, IMO.

It was a hat tip to Affleck.

turkishswat

Postby turkishswat » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:51 pm

bns_77 wrote:
shoeshine wrote:

Go be Matt Damon.

Your ability to interpret significant scenes in movies is overwhelming.

bns_77

Postby bns_77 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:22 pm

Just sayin, I wouldn't do that even if my friend told me to... because I know he'd actually like a bit of a head's up that I was moving on with my life, especially if he was wasting gas to pick me up for work the next morning.

turkishswat

Postby turkishswat » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:34 am

bns_77 wrote:Just sayin, I wouldn't do that even if my friend told me to... because I know he'd actually like a bit of a head's up that I was moving on with my life, especially if he was wasting gas to pick me up for work the next morning.

Spot the false assumption: bns_77's has friends.

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:48 am

bns_77 wrote:Just sayin, I wouldn't do that even if my friend told me to... because I know he'd actually like a bit of a head's up that I was moving on with my life, especially if he was wasting gas to pick me up for work the next morning.

It's a motherfucking movie, get a fucking grip on reality.

zomginternets

Postby zomginternets » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:26 am

i'm sure the wasted gas wasn't Affleck's first concern after he realized his homie had just bailed out.

lynch

Postby lynch » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:46 am

turkishswat wrote:
bns_77 wrote:
shoeshine wrote:

Go be Matt Damon.

Your ability to interpret significant scenes in movies is overwhelming.

that movie is too far from reality besides every person have different point of view.. may i ask you,, why? or do you know the reason why matt damon leave everything and move on? you can't leave something important that easy even if someone is offering new and better opportunity....

turkishswat

Postby turkishswat » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:52 am

lynch wrote:that movie is too far from reality besides every person have different point of view.. may i ask you,, why? or do you know the reason why matt damon leave everything and move on? you can't leave something important that easy even if someone is offering new and better opportunity....

Did you go out get drunk, read this thread, decide to join TLS to post this garbage?

lynch

Postby lynch » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:12 am

turkishswat wrote:
lynch wrote:that movie is too far from reality besides every person have different point of view.. may i ask you,, why? or do you know the reason why matt damon leave everything and move on? you can't leave something important that easy even if someone is offering new and better opportunity....

Did you go out get drunk, read this thread, decide to join TLS to post this garbage?

garbage and not reading? really? then tell me which one is important to you? IF Finishing your degree is the most important thing in your life and someone offer you a good job opportunity?.... and if you are not happy studying and want to drop out but your parents wants you to finish your degree... and you value your parents so much... leaving something important is really hard... but still you need to have a choice....

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:30 am

OP: Can you take a leave of absence from law school for a year ?

RodneyBoonfield

Postby RodneyBoonfield » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:12 am

Curious as to what "I hate the law" means.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:50 pm

spleenworship wrote:
sunynp wrote:There is absolutely no point in staying if you have a good job doing something else. Take the job and don't look back! Good luck!

Actually, the more I think about this, the better it sounds. Though I have to say, I'm not sure how far $73K goes in NYC.

The answer to how far $73k goes in NYC (assume Manhatten) is that it is equivalent to making $33k in Metro Detroit. That will be your standard of living.

http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/sav ... lator.aspx

Try that - its fun! Making 100k in metro-Detroit allows me a have a standard of living equivalent to living in Manhatten making 217k. (Yes, I know, Detroit is no Manhatten, but CoL differences have an impact on lifestyle).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:30 pm

NotMyRealName09 wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
sunynp wrote:There is absolutely no point in staying if you have a good job doing something else. Take the job and don't look back! Good luck!

Actually, the more I think about this, the better it sounds. Though I have to say, I'm not sure how far $73K goes in NYC.

The answer to how far $73k goes in NYC (assume Manhatten) is that it is equivalent to making $33k in Metro Detroit. That will be your standard of living.

http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/sav ... lator.aspx

Try that - its fun! Making 100k in metro-Detroit allows me a have a standard of living equivalent to living in Manhatten making 217k. (Yes, I know, Detroit is no Manhatten, but CoL differences have an impact on lifestyle).

i'd probably live at home for a bit and put some cash away, only 23.

bns_77

Postby bns_77 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:25 pm

Serious Matt Damon posts only

Return to “Legal Employment”