Dropping Out Because of Job Prospects/Hatred for the Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273386
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Dropping Out Because of Job Prospects/Hatred for the Law

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:38 pm

So I think I may drop out. I have a full ride at a T2 but will be right on the fringe of losing it/barely keeping it with poor job prospects. I absolutely loathe school, I can't get through the readings, and can walk into a 70k per year gig in NYC instead. I'm 23 and when I look forward a few years into the future as a lawyer I don't see me being a happy person enjoying my job. My family will say, "don't pass up a free JD!" but on the flipside, i think the absence of debt gives me the unique opportunity to step back, have some self awareness and decide I don't like this crap and can walk away.

I thought you should know, internet. Am I alone? No one in my school seems to be hinting at dropping out.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
RedBirds2011
Posts: 623
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: Dropping Out Because of Job Prospects/Hatred for the Law

Postby RedBirds2011 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:41 pm

Well, thanks very much for keeping me informed.

Sincerely,

Internet

User avatar
chem
Posts: 867
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:14 pm

Re: Dropping Out Because of Job Prospects/Hatred for the Law

Postby chem » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I think I may drop out. I have a full ride at a T2 but will be right on the fringe of losing it/barely keeping it with poor job prospects. I absolutely loathe school, I can't get through the readings, and can walk into a 70k per year gig in NYC instead. I'm 23 and when I look forward a few years into the future as a lawyer I don't see me being a happy person enjoying my job. My family will say, "don't pass up a free JD!" but on the flipside, i think the absence of debt gives me the unique opportunity to step back, have some self awareness and decide I don't like this crap and can walk away.

I thought you should know, internet.


Cool

User avatar
monkey85
Posts: 394
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: Dropping Out Because of Job Prospects/Hatred for the Law

Postby monkey85 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:47 pm

Better late than never. Enjoy NYC.

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: Dropping Out Because of Job Prospects/Hatred for the Law

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:54 pm

chem wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So I think I may drop out. I have a full ride at a T2 but will be right on the fringe of losing it/barely keeping it with poor job prospects. I absolutely loathe school, I can't get through the readings, and can walk into a 70k per year gig in NYC instead. I'm 23 and when I look forward a few years into the future as a lawyer I don't see me being a happy person enjoying my job. My family will say, "don't pass up a free JD!" but on the flipside, i think the absence of debt gives me the unique opportunity to step back, have some self awareness and decide I don't like this crap and can walk away.

I thought you should know, internet.


Cool


Story

User avatar
Kikero
Posts: 1208
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:28 am

Re: Dropping Out Because of Job Prospects/Hatred for the Law

Postby Kikero » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:55 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
chem wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So I think I may drop out. I have a full ride at a T2 but will be right on the fringe of losing it/barely keeping it with poor job prospects. I absolutely loathe school, I can't get through the readings, and can walk into a 70k per year gig in NYC instead. I'm 23 and when I look forward a few years into the future as a lawyer I don't see me being a happy person enjoying my job. My family will say, "don't pass up a free JD!" but on the flipside, i think the absence of debt gives me the unique opportunity to step back, have some self awareness and decide I don't like this crap and can walk away.

I thought you should know, internet.


Cool


Story


Bro

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Dropping Out Because of Job Prospects/Hatred for the Law

Postby spleenworship » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:29 pm

If it is free, I would finish. Otherwise you have to answer why you were a quitter.

I think it would be easier to say "I didn't like it at all, that's why I am doing something else" than "I spent two years there but didn't even get a degree because I hated it."

Now, if you were paying, then I would quit. If you lose the scholly, I would quit.

But for free? Eff it, just get it done.

User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: Dropping Out Because of Job Prospects/Hatred for the Law

Postby sunynp » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:33 pm

There is absolutely no point in staying if you have a good job doing something else. Take the job and don't look back! Good luck!

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Dropping Out Because of Job Prospects/Hatred for the Law

Postby spleenworship » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:35 pm

sunynp wrote:There is absolutely no point in staying if you have a good job doing something else. Take the job and don't look back! Good luck!


Actually, the more I think about this, the better it sounds. Though I have to say, I'm not sure how far $73K goes in NYC.

User avatar
reformed calvinist
Posts: 287
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:58 pm

Re: Dropping Out Because of Job Prospects/Hatred for the Law

Postby reformed calvinist » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:37 pm

I would drop out tomorrow if I could walk into a 70k/yr gig. What are you doing?

User avatar
reformed calvinist
Posts: 287
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:58 pm

Re: Dropping Out Because of Job Prospects/Hatred for the Law

Postby reformed calvinist » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:38 pm

spleenworship wrote:If it is free, I would finish. Otherwise you have to answer why you were a quitter.

I think it would be easier to say "I didn't like it at all, that's why I am doing something else" than "I spent two years there but didn't even get a degree because I hated it."

Now, if you were paying, then I would quit. If you lose the scholly, I would quit.

But for free? Eff it, just get it done.


The more I think about it, the more it seems like an easy sell in an interview. Everyone hates lawyers. Just make a joke about that and you should be golden.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Dropping Out Because of Job Prospects/Hatred for the Law

Postby spleenworship » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:47 pm

reformed calvinist wrote:
spleenworship wrote:If it is free, I would finish. Otherwise you have to answer why you were a quitter.

I think it would be easier to say "I didn't like it at all, that's why I am doing something else" than "I spent two years there but didn't even get a degree because I hated it."

Now, if you were paying, then I would quit. If you lose the scholly, I would quit.

But for free? Eff it, just get it done.


The more I think about it, the more it seems like an easy sell in an interview. Everyone hates lawyers. Just make a joke about that and you should be golden.



Yeah.... I've changed my mind.

OP, if you hate it, you have a good job offer, and you can make a joke about it.... then quit.

User avatar
KMaine
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:57 pm

Re: Dropping Out Because of Job Prospects/Hatred for the Law

Postby KMaine » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:49 pm

Not sure why you care if other people are dropping out/what we think. Drop out if you want to. I wouldn't if I were you, but I don't hate the law, so I guess I'm not you. What do youwant us to say?

User avatar
Julio_El_Chavo
Posts: 803
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:09 pm

Re: Dropping Out Because of Job Prospects/Hatred for the Law

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:54 pm

I love the law so much. Gee golly, I have no idea what you're talking about!

-TLS Poster

User avatar
DaftAndDirect
Posts: 381
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:28 pm

Re: Dropping Out Because of Job Prospects/Hatred for the Law

Postby DaftAndDirect » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:04 pm

This is the least entertaining post I've ever read.

Congrats on your anonymous humblebrag OP.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Dropping Out Because of Job Prospects/Hatred for the Law

Postby spleenworship » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:01 pm

I just had a thought: OP, you are aware that the practice of law has very little in common with law school, right?

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Dropping Out Because of Job Prospects/Hatred for the Law

Postby romothesavior » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:02 pm

sunynp wrote:There is absolutely no point in staying if you have a good job doing something else. Take the job and don't look back! Good luck!

Yeah, this. Just drop out.

User avatar
RedBirds2011
Posts: 623
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: Dropping Out Because of Job Prospects/Hatred for the Law

Postby RedBirds2011 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:02 pm

spleenworship wrote:I just had a thought: OP, you are aware that the practice of law has very little in common with law school, right?


Very good point!!

User avatar
Julio_El_Chavo
Posts: 803
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:09 pm

Re: Dropping Out Because of Job Prospects/Hatred for the Law

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:16 pm

spleenworship wrote:I just had a thought: OP, you are aware that the practice of law has very little in common with law school, right?


Yeah, working in the legal field is much less deterministic than going to law school: you can get fired or work could dry up for a million different reasons. At least when you're in law school you have some idea of how you're doing. If you're at a good law school and in the top 10%, you know you'll probably be okay. But when your practicing at most firms outside of the tippy top boutiques and biglaw powerhouses, there's always a risk that you'll be fired (stealthily or not) or that sudden "issues" might come up in your performance reviews that make you think you should be looking for exit options or that 25 cases might settle all at once leaving you with nothing to do for weeks on end. If you work for a small firm and the rainmaker decides to leave for another firm without you (or just straight up retire), you're totally fucked, especially if you've been practicing in a niche area. The only people who don't have to worry about these kinds of issues are people at top-ranked firms who have so much work that they don't have time to think about their own job security, although admittedly it is less of an issue for them. But they have to worry about loss of consortium, weight gain, hypertension, etc.
Last edited by Julio_El_Chavo on Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sillyboots
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:50 am

Re: Dropping Out Because of Job Prospects/Hatred for the Law

Postby sillyboots » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:03 pm

The fact that you put so much weight on your personal happiness and health shows that you were never meant to be a lawyer in the first place.

Kidding, but anyway, good luck. It's not a free JD when you could be making money elsewhere and when it costs you an unhappy few years in your 20s.

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3142
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: Dropping Out Because of Job Prospects/Hatred for the Law

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:04 pm

Jesus, are you kidding me? You hate the law, you hate school, you're not at a good school, and you can make $70k at 23 (which, by the way, goes plenty far in NYC)? Why aren't you gone yesterday? Why would anyone tell this person to stay in school?

User avatar
ColtsFan88
Posts: 1432
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:05 pm

Re: Dropping Out Because of Job Prospects/Hatred for the Law

Postby ColtsFan88 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:04 am

monkey85 wrote:Better late than never. Enjoy NYC.


Better Nate than lever.

Someone poast it, now.

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: Dropping Out Because of Job Prospects/Hatred for the Law

Postby PDaddy » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:So I think I may drop out. I have a full ride at a T2 but will be right on the fringe of losing it/barely keeping it with poor job prospects. I absolutely loathe school, I can't get through the readings, and can walk into a 70k per year gig in NYC instead. I'm 23 and when I look forward a few years into the future as a lawyer I don't see me being a happy person enjoying my job. My family will say, "don't pass up a free JD!" but on the flipside, i think the absence of debt gives me the unique opportunity to step back, have some self awareness and decide I don't like this crap and can walk away.

I thought you should know, internet. Am I alone? No one in my school seems to be hinting at dropping out.


You are NOT alone. If you want to quit, you above anyone else probably knows what's best. I will say that the number of law students focussed on getting through the readings amazes me. To do well in law school you need to do three things: (1) start constructing good outlines from day one, (2) get ahold of professors' old exams so you know what they want you to understand for the exams, and (3) take practice exams over and over until you know you can get your points. Reading the cases is an exercize that allows you to see the law applied and discuss the relevant questions in class - if called upon. It does little to help you on exam day when you must construct your own applications to the hypotheticals.

Maybe you're the type of student who can do well without doing as much of the reading. Maybe refocussing your energy with some different strategies is in order. And you should remember that you don't have to practice law. You can go into business, be an entrepreneur, write books, be a consultant, teach undergrad at a university, etc. A law degree can be used in a variety of ways, especially when you have little or no debt.

If you hate the law, you hate it. But before you quit, ask yourself WHY you hate it. Is it the law school environment or the actual discipline? Do you hate the other students or your profs? I am not telling you to stay; I am advising you to do some critical thinking before you make such a big decision. Going to law school was a big decision; quitting could be an even bigger one.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273386
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Dropping Out Because of Job Prospects/Hatred for the Law

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:36 am

OP Here. Thanks to those with helpful advice/shared commiseration. To those who thought it was a humblebrag-- It wasn't intended, truly. I can see why you think that though, my bad. The reason I think I will finish out the year is that if I just left and went home my parents would not be OK with it. I know this, and while I've voiced my feelings to them, they've said the same thing-- finish out the year and see if you change your mind once the stress of the school year is over. I know, in my own mind, that i have made a decision but their opinion and support is still very important.

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19667
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: Dropping Out Because of Job Prospects/Hatred for the Law

Postby dailygrind » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:52 am

Respect for what must have been a very hard choice.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.