Market-paying firms hiring 3Ls

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Market-paying firms hiring 3Ls

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:53 pm

Please post if you know any market paying firms that are currently hiring 3Ls. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Market-paying firms hiring 3Ls

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:59 pm

Nothing??

Morgan12Oak

Postby Morgan12Oak » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:15 pm

Do you mean market paying firms looking to hire 3Ls now who are graduating in like a month or two? This really shouldn't be surprising given market paying firms generally follow the same schedules. Going to have to look at non-market paying firms now obviously.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:28 pm

Why would they hire now? You won't be able to start work until after the bar or be a real lawyer until you pass the bar. Also, they can avoid any kind of bar stipend or barbri reimbursement. And, they know they've already gotten all the top-GPA people, so they don't have a reason to hurry to beat their competitors.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:00 pm

Is it acceptable to reach out to people who are not alums but are in a practice group you're interested in? Or should we only be sending stuff to HR departments?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:20 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:Why would they hire now? You won't be able to start work until after the bar or be a real lawyer until you pass the bar. Also, they can avoid any kind of bar stipend or barbri reimbursement. And, they know they've already gotten all the top-GPA people, so they don't have a reason to hurry to beat their competitors.

Firms would hire 3Ls because they need them. This comes up in two main situations: (1) the firm needs more first-years than anticipated or (2) summers don't accept offers. Of course, both can happen together, but neither is the norm. That is why there are much fewer 3Ls are recruited than 2Ls. In any case, firms will recruit for entry level positions if they need entry level lawyers.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:Why would they hire now? You won't be able to start work until after the bar or be a real lawyer until you pass the bar. Also, they can avoid any kind of bar stipend or barbri reimbursement. And, they know they've already gotten all the top-GPA people, so they don't have a reason to hurry to beat their competitors.

Firms would hire 3Ls because they need them. This comes up in two main situations: (1) the firm needs more first-years than anticipated or (2) summers don't accept offers. Of course, both can happen together, but neither is the norm. That is why there are much fewer 3Ls are recruited than 2Ls. In any case, firms will recruit for entry level positions if they need entry level lawyers.

Why would they hire them now? All of their summers from last summer have already accepted or rejected. And if they need more first-years, they can just hire someone who graduated mid-year or last year who is already barred. If they hire a 3L now, they won't start work for six months, eliminating any benefit of hiring them right this moment.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:42 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Why would they hire them now? All of their summers from last summer have already accepted or rejected. And if they need more first-years, they can just hire someone who graduated mid-year or last year who is already barred. If they hire a 3L now, they won't start work for six months, eliminating any benefit of hiring them right this moment.

I mean, both our points are right. Neither is always the case, though. Firms still do recruit 3Ls, so it does happen. I am sure some firms follow your reasoning as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:43 am

LawIdiot86 wrote:Why would they hire them now? All of their summers from last summer have already accepted or rejected. And if they need more first-years, they can just hire someone who graduated mid-year or last year who is already barred. If they hire a 3L now, they won't start work for six months, eliminating any benefit of hiring them right this moment.

If you are looking for logic in the biglaw hiring process you're searching in vain.

Firms are hiring for specific groups. I'm a 3L who did not have a SA last year. I've had 4 callbacks this year, mostly with corporate practice groups but once with a financial services regulatory group. However, some of these jobs are not advertised even through Symplicity. I had an interview with a biglaw firm recently that solicited resumes directly from my school's CSO.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:Why would they hire them now? All of their summers from last summer have already accepted or rejected. And if they need more first-years, they can just hire someone who graduated mid-year or last year who is already barred. If they hire a 3L now, they won't start work for six months, eliminating any benefit of hiring them right this moment.

If you are looking for logic in the biglaw hiring process you're searching in vain.

Firms are hiring for specific groups. I'm a 3L who did not have a SA last year. I've had 4 callbacks this year, mostly with corporate practice groups but once with a financial services regulatory group. However, some of these jobs are not advertised even through Symplicity. I had an interview with a biglaw firm recently that solicited resumes directly from my school's CSO.

I'm not saying big firms don't hire 3Ls. I'm saying they wouldn't be hiring them now, in the late spring, because it's too long before they would start work and not part of the OCI rush to scoop up the highest GPA talent.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:51 am

LawIdiot86 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm not saying big firms don't hire 3Ls. I'm saying they wouldn't be hiring them now, in the late spring, because it's too long before they would start work and not part of the OCI rush to scoop up the highest GPA talent.

I'm the quoted poster. Have had two callbacks in the last month with market paying firms. There was actually a long break in job openings from September/October to March. They have been busy for a long time and are looking to pick up more people.

Also, firms may not make practice group assignments until the spring, and some practice groups might get stiffed and need more people.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm the quoted poster. Have had two callbacks in the last month with market paying firms. There was actually a long break in job openings from September/October to March. They have been busy for a long time and are looking to pick up more people.

Also, firms may not make practice group assignments until the spring, and some practice groups might get stiffed and need more people.

My CSO has said the same thing about last minute hiring in the Spring, but so far nothing has popped up. Curious as to your school (T10, T6, higher?), region, credentials. Of course, I totally understand if you don't want to reveal info.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

My CSO has said the same thing about last minute hiring in the Spring, but so far nothing has popped up. Curious as to your school (T10, T6, higher?), region, credentials. Of course, I totally understand if you don't want to reveal info.

My T14 has two entry level associate positions and three entry staff attorney positions at market-paying firms. Also 3-5 tax/IP specific entry positions at NLJ 250 firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My CSO has said the same thing about last minute hiring in the Spring, but so far nothing has popped up. Curious as to your school (T10, T6, higher?), region, credentials. Of course, I totally understand if you don't want to reveal info.

I am at a T6. Am probably around top third now but was median after 1L.

sebastian0622

Postby sebastian0622 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:39 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Why would they hire them now? ... eliminates any benefit of hiring them right this moment.

Whichever biglaw firms hire right now gets their pick of the remaining students. Whichever wait only get the ones the earlier firms didn't pick.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:43 pm

sebastian0622 wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Why would they hire them now? ... eliminates any benefit of hiring them right this moment.

Whichever biglaw firms hire right now gets their pick of the remaining students. Whichever wait only get the ones the earlier firms didn't pick.

The perceived quality difference between the pool available August 1 and August 20 during 2L OCI is huge because the top 10% of the T14 will be off the market by then. By now, you're talking bottom half of the T14 and outside the top third at most other schools big firms recruit at. The incentive to get someone who is in the 55th percentile of their class now v. getting someone in the 65th percentile in 6 months, is a much lower incentive.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:17 pm

My T14 has two entry level associate positions and three entry staff attorney positions at market-paying firms. Also 3-5 tax/IP specific entry positions at NLJ 250 firms.[/quote]

"Staff attorney"? As in non-partner track? I'm surprised a T-14 would post that.

sebastian0622

Postby sebastian0622 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:23 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:The perceived quality difference between the pool available August 1 and August 20 during 2L OCI is huge because the top 10% of the T14 will be off the market by then. By now, you're talking bottom half of the T14 and outside the top third at most other schools big firms recruit at. The incentive to get someone who is in the 55th percentile of their class now v. getting someone in the 65th percentile in 6 months, is a much lower incentive.

Lower incentive, but still an incentive, and obviously the big firms agree. They want the best that they can get available. Besides, you can't make an assumption that there are ZERO available 3L's who are in the top half of their classes at a T14. There are a lot of different situations out there, jobs fall through, people jump up in rankings, people decide they don't want a different job they previously thought they did, etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:53 pm

To the person who interviewed with a financial services regulatory group. Did you hear back yet? What city was it for? I had an interview with a similar group in NYC recently and have yet to hear back.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My T14 has two entry level associate positions and three entry staff attorney positions at market-paying firms. Also 3-5 tax/IP specific entry positions at NLJ 250 firms.

"Staff attorney"? As in non-partner track? I'm surprised a T-14 would post that.[/quote]

Eleven of the T14 had NLJ250 rates below 50%. Even with PI/Gov, there are still people scrambling and a staff attorney job pays decently compared to the tiny subsidy for unpaid internships after graduation.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:29 pm

1. Has anyone had any success sending resumes/cover letters to firms? (While still networking/everything else)

2. Does anyone else's school have the 6 month fellowship for unemployed 3Ls? Would you guys do it? Pluses/drawbacks?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:06 pm

Any recent offers go out? Skadden was hiring for specific tax department.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Skadden was hiring for specific tax department.

Which Skadden office is hiring tax people?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Skadden was hiring for specific tax department.

Which Skadden office is hiring tax people?

Skadden NY just posted 3L resume collect for all practice areas this week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:45 am

tag

Return to “Legal Employment”