Time for polls. No time for trolls

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Where should (Lisjjen) work this summer

Department of Housing and Urban Development (San Antonio)
1
2%
Engineering Firm General Counsel (Denver)
13
27%
State Judicial Clerkship/NLJ 250 internship (Austin)
35
71%
 
Total votes: 49

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Time for polls. No time for trolls

Postby lisjjen » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:45 pm

So it's that time of year where I really need to decide what to do with my summer. I want to wind up doing regulatory advisement, environmental stuff. I feel like working for a judge and a firm would provide good legal experience no matter what I wind up doing.

My options are doing real estate transactional for HUD, doing regulatory advisement for an engineering firm, or a fellowship where I'd split the summer between a firm and a judicial clerkship.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Time for polls. No time for trolls

Postby kalvano » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:16 pm

I'd split between the judge and GC.

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Time for polls. No time for trolls

Postby lisjjen » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:59 pm

kalvano wrote:I'd split between the judge and GC.


Unfortunately, that's not an option. If I take the judge gig, the firm is part of the fellowship.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Time for polls. No time for trolls

Postby keg411 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:03 pm

Do any of them pay? Also, where do you want to be for 2L summer (in terms of location; TX or CO)?

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Time for polls. No time for trolls

Postby lisjjen » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:36 pm

keg411 wrote:Do any of them pay? Also, where do you want to be for 2L summer (in terms of location; TX or CO)?


HUD doesn't pay. I'm getting the idea that it's the odd one out. The fellowship only pays $5k for the summer, which isn't terrible. I don't know how much the GC pays. Probably in the (admittedly sizable) ballpark of $500-$1,500/week.

And I'd like to be in California, Seattle or Washington DC. Texas wouldn't break my heart though. The purchasing power here is unbelievable.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Time for polls. No time for trolls

Postby keg411 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:00 am

lisjjen wrote:
keg411 wrote:Do any of them pay? Also, where do you want to be for 2L summer (in terms of location; TX or CO)?


HUD doesn't pay. I'm getting the idea that it's the odd one out. The fellowship only pays $5k for the summer, which isn't terrible. I don't know how much the GC pays. Probably in the (admittedly sizable) ballpark of $500-$1,500/week.

And I'd like to be in California, Seattle or Washington DC. Texas wouldn't break my heart though. The purchasing power here is unbelievable.


Since you have no offers in your target market, might as well take the GC since it pays. (So long as you have a place to stay in Denver that wouldn't expend all of it). Otherwise, the fellowship.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Time for polls. No time for trolls

Postby kalvano » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:18 pm

lisjjen wrote:
kalvano wrote:I'd split between the judge and GC.


Unfortunately, that's not an option. If I take the judge gig, the firm is part of the fellowship.



I misread. Split between the judge and the firm.

Edit - nevermind, take the much higher paying position.

Brassica7
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:06 am

Re: Time for polls. No time for trolls

Postby Brassica7 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:36 pm

Which one gives you the best chance of getting a job after law school? Is there a chance the firm will give you an offer? If so, this seems like the best choice. I imagine HUD is the worst because of the very limited federal hiring.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Time for polls. No time for trolls

Postby Blindmelon » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:42 pm

The highest paying one.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.