Quick question - thank you note

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Quick question - thank you note

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:37 am

Quick question guys. I just got back from an interview and I can't find email address to the individuals that emailed me (this was for an in-house position). I could technically add them on Linkedin and send a thank you note, but I think that's inappropriate.

Should I just thank the HR person who arranged it and ask her to forward my thank you to the individuals that interviewed me?

funlaws

Re: Quick question - thank you note

Postby funlaws » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:53 am

You could ask the HR person for the interviewer's contact info and send them both, the HR person and the interviewer, thank you notes. Also, I'm a big fan of handwritten than you notes, if that matters.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:54 am

funlaws wrote:You could ask the HR person for the interviewer's contact info and send them both, the HR person and the interviewer, thank you notes. Also, I'm a big fan of handwritten than you notes, if that matters.

would it be appropriate to ask the person for the info?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:57 am

If you know a name and have any other person's email at that firm/organization, you might be able to figure out how their email addresses are generated.

If John Smith is jsmith@lawfirm.com, then Sue Jones is probably going to be sjones@lawfirm.com

Or send a written thank-you note, since you have the firm's mailing address.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:58 am

rinkrat19 wrote:If you know a name and have any other person's email at that firm/organization, you might be able to figure out how their email addresses are generated.

If John Smith is jsmith@lawfirm.com, then Sue Jones is probably going to be sjones@lawfirm.com

Or send a written thank-you note, since you have the firm's mailing address.

This was for an in-house department. So a no-go on having the HR person forward my thank you? I mean if they wanted me to contact them directly, wouldnt they have given me their cards?

funlaws

Postby funlaws » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
funlaws wrote:You could ask the HR person for the interviewer's contact info and send them both, the HR person and the interviewer, thank you notes. Also, I'm a big fan of handwritten than you notes, if that matters.

would it be appropriate to ask the person for the info?

Well, I think you (the interviewee) are the better judge of that than someone on an internet forum. However, another option would be to send the notes directly to the employer and address them to the interviewer and HR person. Also, can't you look through your email archives/sent mail to find the email address(es)?

Return to “Legal Employment”