Just found out dad has MS

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dingbat

Re: Just found out dad has MS

Postby dingbat » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:03 pm

dresden doll wrote:
Gail wrote:If it were me, I'd inform the school, tell them I appreciate it, maybe some day down the road, but I really do have a duty to my family.

I think that's the honorable thing to do.

It's honorable to keep supporting people who blatantly refuse to help themselves, to the point of compromising your own life?

You summed up my thoughts better than I could

Gail

Postby Gail » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:43 pm

dingbat wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
Gail wrote:If it were me, I'd inform the school, tell them I appreciate it, maybe some day down the road, but I really do have a duty to my family.

I think that's the honorable thing to do.

It's honorable to keep supporting people who blatantly refuse to help themselves, to the point of compromising your own life?

You summed up my thoughts better than I could

Answering dresden doll. I'll be the first to admit that I do not fit in with the cut-throat attitude of law school. If it's biglaw or pushing my mother out a window, I guess I'm just going to have to learn to love traffic court. Maybe that means I'm too emotional and shouldn't go to law school. I guess I'm the outlier standing separate from LS bad asses.

OP. You're free to do as you like. Maybe your family will survive. I sincerely pray they do no matter what you decide. You have the right to do what you think you should, but I just thought that I could play the other side on your shoulder and affirm that the reasons you have for being uneasy about going to law school are legitimate. Why? Because they're your parents. It's your family. Unlike business partners, law schools and law firms, you only get one family. Business partners will betray you, law schools will extort you, law firms will fire you. Your family won't. That's a special bond and that special bond comes with special obligations. Just my humble opinion.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:12 pm

Gail wrote:OP. You're free to do as you like. Maybe your family will survive. I sincerely pray they do no matter what you decide.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Honestly, shut the fuck up. The life or death of OP's family does not depend on his actions, as you'd know if you read a single thing so far in this thread re MS.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:14 pm

[quote=Gail]Unlike business partners, law schools and law firms, you only get one family. Business partners will betray you, law schools will extort you, law firms will fire you. Your family won't. That's a special bond and that special bond comes with special obligations. Just my humble opinion.[/quote]
You don't know how lucky you are that you can say this.
I hope you never learn how wrong this statement can be.

Partial definition of family: people you know and see from time to time whom you otherwise might never associate with.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:16 am

sundance95 wrote:
Gail wrote:OP. You're free to do as you like. Maybe your family will survive. I sincerely pray they do no matter what you decide.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Honestly, shut the fuck up. The life or death of OP's family does not depend on his actions, as you'd know if you read a single thing so far in this thread re MS.

This is true. It isn't life or death, and I'm sure if my family did become homeless the government would come in. Some more bad news though - my dad lost his life insurance because of some bs two yr opt out close so my family is now uninsured. My dad also decided to stop working, and told my mom and sisters (who are mimors) they should support him. My mom told me that i need to start ls, that well map it out and that it's the only source of joy she has in her life. I also think objectively if i dont go to LS, ill still be smart, put together, etc but ill be a loser. My sisters will have only losers as rolemodels. I think all not going will do is punt - essentially forfeit a better life for anyome. Even if it's 4th and 30, if there's one minute left u need to go for it.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:23 am

Gail wrote:It's your family. Unlike business partners, law schools and law firms, you only get one family. Business partners will betray you, law schools will extort you, law firms will fire you. Your family won't. That's a special bond and that special bond comes with special obligations. Just my humble opinion.

Damn straight.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:29 am

Do you, bro.

A very wise man once told me "I moved to this city for my family. Now what? My brothers dead, my moms incompetent, and X brother/sister in law that I moved here with moved away after x years. Just do what is right for you. Fuck everyone else"

BunkMoreland

Postby BunkMoreland » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:22 am

Tom Joad wrote:
Gail wrote:It's your family. Unlike business partners, law schools and law firms, you only get one family. Business partners will betray you, law schools will extort you, law firms will fire you. Your family won't. That's a special bond and that special bond comes with special obligations. Just my humble opinion.

Damn straight.

Obviously you don't have a normal American family

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:27 pm

I don't really think this is the right forum for that kind of question. But, what I would recommend is if your really worried about your sisters is got to law school and have them live with you and transfer HS. It'll be tough but they won't be homeless and if you all live frugally and you each get part time jobs you'll have a shot. Also, see whether emancipating them would help.

Return to “Legal Employment”