Having geographical "ties"

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
estopped

Having geographical "ties"

Postby estopped » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:17 pm

Hello All,

I was wondering how Medium/Large law firms consider geographical ties to the area. Namely, is it an all or nothing classification of whether an applicant has ties or not, or is it on more of a spectrum that is considered during their Hiring Committee Meetings?

I am curious because I want to work in California after graduation. I know it is a tough bid for OCI considering I go to an East Coast T-14, went to college in New England, and am originally from NJ. Although I am personally convinced that I would love to work and live there long-term, a third party hiring committee might not be. The main reason is because my partner of over 2 years is in LA for a four year program and it would be very important for me to also be in the area.

What do you think? Am I out of luck?

LawIdiot86

Re: Having geographical "ties"

Postby LawIdiot86 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:42 pm

estopped wrote:Hello All,

I was wondering how Medium/Large law firms consider geographical ties to the area. Namely, is it an all or nothing classification of whether an applicant has ties or not, or is it on more of a spectrum that is considered during their Hiring Committee Meetings?

I am curious because I want to work in California after graduation. I know it is a tough bid for OCI considering I go to an East Coast T-14, went to college in New England, and am originally from NJ. Although I am personally convinced that I would love to work and live there long-term, a third party hiring committee might not be. The main reason is because my partner of over 2 years is in LA for a four year program and it would be very important for me to also be in the area.

It would be grade dependent and why your partner is in LA. If they're there for a random PhD program, that probably isn't a big help because firms know they'll go elsewhere for a job. Also, that they're there for school and not a permanent job or because they're from there is a downer. Also, given how extreme your ties are to the east coast, it will be a very hard sell. I suspect if you have good enough grades, they will overlook it at many midlaw firms or second tier biglaw.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:00 pm

"My partner grew up here and is finishing up school in the area and will be working here after graduation. I'm very excited about the possibility of working here at your firm because of x, y, z."

An attorney I know that went to HLS said everyone lied through their teeth to get to the west coast.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:01 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

azntwice

Postby azntwice » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:02 pm

I think California firms especially tend to be very picky about ties, especially if you come from an East Coast law school. If I were you, I wouldn't even be sure myself whether I want to live on the West Coast for the rest of my life. You better try to get a summer job on the West Coast. I know a couple people at my school who are top 5% going to CA with no ties, and if you have an IP background you may have some luck with Silicon Valley/Palo Alto type places. However, if not, you had better work on your grades.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:13 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
estopped wrote:Hello All,

It would be grade dependent and why your partner is in LA. If they're there for a random PhD program, that probably isn't a big help because firms know they'll go elsewhere for a job. Also, that they're there for school and not a permanent job or because they're from there is a downer. Also, given how extreme your ties are to the east coast, it will be a very hard sell. I suspect if you have good enough grades, they will overlook it at many midlaw firms or second tier biglaw.

I think it should actually be the opposite. If your grades are good enough for MTO/Irell/GDC/QE and the other top shops it puts you in a small category of people, most of whom don't have SoCal ties. Meanwhile all of the midlaw and biglaw shops are going to be flooded with median applicants /w ties from the T14 + UCLA/USC who don't have a shot at the harder firms.

Anonymous User wrote:An attorney I know that went to HLS said everyone lied through their teeth to get to the west coast.

As a recruiter for a major firm once told me, "Don't lie... but bend, omit, embellish, and tweak." If OP said "my partner is in LA for a few years and then is going to bail," they won't like it. If OP says "my partner is currently living in LA and it's where I want to settle down with him/her, I've been here for weeks/months a time visiting, etc." he's transformed a negative into a positive with minor changes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:17 pm

Bending the truth is still lying. I bend the truth all the time, but I'd be kidding myself if I thought I wasn't lying.

apl6783

Postby apl6783 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:19 pm

rad lulz wrote:Awesome, this thread again.

Get a life, nerd.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:28 pm

Having SO in the area seems like a decent enough tie, imo.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:32 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:26 pm

bk1 wrote:Having SO in the area seems like a decent enough tie, imo.

It's a good start, but if the SO isn't a native and is only in school there, a firm might see their tie to the area as being as transient as the CA natives who go to the east coast just for HLS.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:31 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
bk1 wrote:Having SO in the area seems like a decent enough tie, imo.

It's a good start, but if the SO isn't a native and is only in school there, a firm might see their tie to the area as being as transient as the CA natives who go to the east coast just for HLS.

That's true. Though I think you could spin it in such a way as to minimize the negatives.

Return to “Legal Employment”