DA Internship

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

DA Internship

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:03 am

I will be spending my 1L summer interning at the DA’s office. There is a good likelihood that during my 2L year I can continue working at the DA’s office on a part time basis (if my grades are median or better). If you worked at the DA’s office, would you elaborate on your experience? Thanks.

As an FYI: I am at a 10T in a major metropolitan city (not NYC). The internship provides a little income (about a fourth of a Big Law SA) and the summer program provides a modest income (partly subsidized by the school). As I understand it, if after law school I worked at the DA’s office for 5 years my tuition debt would be forgiven. I realize that this is not Big Law, but it isn't doc review either.

kalvano

Re: DA Internship

Postby kalvano » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:56 am

10 years is the public service forgiveness timeline.

Dale

Postby Dale » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:13 am

Wiping out $150k tuition over 5 years is equivalent to receiving a $30k annual benefit. If the DA starting salary is $50K, the $30k annual debt forgiveness is comparable to making $80K (perhaps more since the $30k portion may not be taxed as income). Over ten years, not sure if debt forgiveness is a big enough carrot to go the DA route, versus a law firm. But certainly better than doc review.

Edit: I did a little checking and saw where $55K is an average entry level starting salary. Note - some locations go as low as $45K others up to $79K. I saw where an average DA makes $125K, the ceiling is close to $200k (with bonus). No explanation given on bonus income.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:10 pm

OP: Thanks for the input. Still hoping someone with previous DA experience will contribute their thoughts.

Jeremyl

Postby Jeremyl » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:22 pm

This is a good thread for you to look over: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=155423

Generally, 1L you will do a little research, but it is mainly observing trials, helping with voir dire, and making contacts. For 2L, you should really try to get your third year bar card because some offices will let you handle your own case load; however, you may not be able to get enough course credit hours to get your card until after that first semester.

Return to “Legal Employment”