Is it ever acceptable to renege a 1L summer job offer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is it ever acceptable to renege a 1L summer job offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:29 pm

Committed to a local government job last week, got an offer today today for an in-house gig which has all along been my first choice of employment. Both are in the same city. Would rather do the in-house but don't think it's a good idea to renege on the local government job. Thoughts?

Anonymous User

Re: Is it ever acceptable to renege a 1L summer job offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:32 pm

I am in a similar situation...I plan on reneging because one is unpaid and the other is not...And the difference in pay is $20k +

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am in a similar situation...I plan on reneging because one is unpaid and the other is not...And the difference in pay is $20k +

OP here. Assume that in my case, pay difference is not that great.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:18 pm

Consider doing a split...However, if you really want the the job, then don't hesitate to take the other job.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Consider doing a split...However, if you really want the the job, then don't hesitate to take the other job.

OP here. Neither job allows a split. Wish they did, because that would be my first choice option.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:40 pm

You are a 1L so it doesn't matter too much what you do. However, I'd consider all the options. What doors will one internship open that the other one won't. And/or, what do you think you'll enjoy the most? Base your decision on those answers. At the end of the day, you have to do what is best for yourself. If that means reneging, then it means reneging. However, the likelihood of you working for that government agency in the future is slim as long as the people you reneging on still work at the organization.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:41 pm

If there's someone at the govt. org. you trust who you can ask about this, I would.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:41 pm

I'm pretty sure many people are placed in a similar situation and have backed out on their first offer. it happens.

I would only find it unacceptable if it were a judicial externship, only because it involves a judge.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:01 pm

Thanks guys/gals for all your advice.

rad lulz wrote:If there's someone at the govt. org. you trust who you can ask about this, I would.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is anyone at the govt agency I can talk to about this. I don't know anyone there other than the two people I interviewed with (and I only met these people at the interview).

How bad are the consequences of reneging? Beyond the one organization that I renege on, will reneging have an effect on my employment prospects in the future? City in question is a major city (NYC/DC/Chi/LA) that I plan to practice in after graduation.

holdencaulfield

Postby holdencaulfield » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks guys/gals for all your advice.

rad lulz wrote:If there's someone at the govt. org. you trust who you can ask about this, I would.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is anyone at the govt agency I can talk to about this. I don't know anyone there other than the two people I interviewed with (and I only met these people at the interview).

How bad are the consequences of reneging? Beyond the one organization that I renege on, will reneging have an effect on my employment prospects in the future? City in question is a major city (NYC/DC/Chi/LA) that I plan to practice in after graduation.

You only accepted the gov't gig a month ago. Apologize profusely, thank them for the opportunity, then take the in-house position.

No consequences in the long run, so long as you handle it appropriately.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:32 pm

holdencaulfield wrote:

You only accepted the gov't gig a month ago. Apologize profusely, thank them for the opportunity, then take the in-house position.

Actually, only accepted the govt gig less than a week ago. Not that that matters though.

holdencaulfield

Postby holdencaulfield » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
holdencaulfield wrote:

That's what I meant...my bad

Actually, only accepted the govt gig less than a week ago. Not that that matters though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:07 pm

Beyond the one organization that I renege on, will reneging have an effect on my employment prospects in the future?

Probably no effect on other employers. I would speak with your CSO to see what they say (don't be specific about it; ask like a hypothetical). Probably the worst case scenario is that the government employer contacts your CSO to let them know what you did.

As a government attorney who hires interns, I might email your CSO. But I've never had an intern renege. I always tell intern applicants that they can have a week or two to make a decision (and they should go ahead and try to get a paying gig if they want one), but that it is expected they will not renege on the internship after they accept.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:25 am

Don't talk to CSO, it's none of their business and they work for the employers, not you. They will tell you reneging is unprofessional. They are b.s.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:39 am

Not the end of the world, and usually I say reneg if it is in your best interest. But why do you want to reneg? The preftige probably ain't gonna make a difference at OCI, and the money difference is negligible, so why do it? What do you plan to gain from it?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:28 am

romothesavior wrote:Not the end of the world, and usually I say reneg if it is in your best interest. But why do you want to reneg? The preftige probably ain't gonna make a difference at OCI, and the money difference is negligible, so why do it? What do you plan to gain from it?

The in-house internship would provide me with exposure to a broad variety of legal issues, much of which will be transactional work (something I am interested in but have no experience with). The govt job is more regulatory and focuses on an area of law that while interesting, I don't really have interest in the long term. So basically, I want to renege because I think the in-house gig will provide a better learning experience.

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The in-house internship would provide me with exposure to a broad variety of legal issues, much of which will be transactional work (something I am interested in but have no experience with). The govt job is more regulatory and focuses on an area of law that while interesting, I don't really have interest in the long term. So basically, I want to renege because I think the in-house gig will provide a better learning experience.

Not only a better learning experience but it sounds like it's more relevant to the career you want. The timing is unfortunate but I think the fact that you accepted so recently makes it less of a blow to the gov't employer.

You will obviously not ever be able to work for the gov't employer, but it would seem strange for them to badmouth you to others for reneging on a 1L job within days of accepting.

Anonymous User wrote:Don't talk to CSO, it's none of their business and they work for the employers, not you. They will tell you reneging is unprofessional. They are b.s.

+1

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Not the end of the world, and usually I say reneg if it is in your best interest. But why do you want to reneg? The preftige probably ain't gonna make a difference at OCI, and the money difference is negligible, so why do it? What do you plan to gain from it?

The in-house internship would provide me with exposure to a broad variety of legal issues, much of which will be transactional work (something I am interested in but have no experience with). The govt job is more regulatory and focuses on an area of law that while interesting, I don't really have interest in the long term. So basically, I want to renege because I think the in-house gig will provide a better learning experience.

Okay, solid answer, and I think you should even say that when you reneg.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:05 pm

OP here. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who posted. Your advice was very helpful.

I read a lot of threads like this where the OP never says what he/she ended up doing, and I always wonder what the decision was. In case anyone was curious or in case this would be helpful to readers in the future, I wanted to post here that I have decided to stay at the government agency and to turn down the in-house offer. I wanted to jump ship for the reasons I stated earlier, but here is why I stayed:

1) I did not want to burn bridges with one of the only government agencies still actively hiring.

2) The oversight board for the govt agency has some very powerful people on it (partners at top law firms, former judges, etc.). Since I would be working directly with these people, reneging could mean burning bridges with them too.

3) I honestly don't think the govt agency vs. in-house position would make that great of a difference at OCI.

4) I liked the people at the govt agency better than the people at the in-house place.

Also, my CSO is not as hard-lined as most so I felt comfortable talking to them. They said that had the new position been a 1L SA or a high-paying in-house position, reneging on the govt agency might have been in my best interest. Since the in-house position in my case was not paying much, and since I have a public interest grant for my govt work, it was probably not worth it to renege.

Thanks.

thegrayman

Postby thegrayman » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:56 am

Thanks for the update on your decision, sounds like you gave it some solid thought and I'm sure you'll be happy there

Return to “Legal Employment”