In-house internship interview

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

In-house internship interview

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:16 pm

I have an interview coming up with a global health insurance legal department for an in house interview. because this is through a larger general program, i have no say in which corporation i interview with (the companies pick the candidates). what type of interview questions should i expect from them? Also, what's the chances of getting full time employment from this (i'm guessing zero)?

i am a 2L.

Anonymous User

Re: In-house internship interview

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:18 pm

Most in-house positions prefer you have work experience at a law firm first, so the odds are strong that it's a terminal internship.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Most in-house positions prefer you have work experience at a law firm first, so the odds are strong that it's a terminal internship.

yeah. maybe they'll really like me...lol.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:27 pm

I have noticed more in-house legal departments hiring students just out of law school to work in the corporate and contracts area, but it's unpredictable whether they are in a situation to offer you a position. It's not common.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:36 pm

Ask them normal interview questions that you would ask any other legal employer. Then, perhaps, ask about long-term opportunities. Do you hire out of law school? You don't want to be matched with a firm that won't consider you for full-time opportunities, so you should ask that question so you don't rate them high.

Also, ask how working in-house is different than working at a firm. Ask them what type of opportunities have the people who worked at their firm gone off to do? This could be a good opportunity. The large corporation, probably works with a firm. You might be able to make connections with that firm or at least you know what firms they work with so you can contact that firm during the summer/3L year for post-grad work. You can use the in-house opportunity to show that you know what it's like to work for an organization, etc....

ben4847

Postby ben4847 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:42 pm

sparty99 wrote:This could be a good opportunity. The large corporation, probably works with a firm. You might be able to make connections with that firm or at least you know what firms they work with so you can contact that firm during the summer/3L year for post-grad work. You can use the in-house opportunity to show that you know what it's like to work for an organization, etc....

Don't want to overstate this too much, but this is so. I made a really good connection during 1L summer working in house, with the partner I was working with from outside counsel at a large firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:53 pm

sparty99 wrote:Ask them normal interview questions that you would ask any other legal employer. Then, perhaps, ask about long-term opportunities. Do you hire out of law school? You don't want to be matched with a firm that won't consider you for full-time opportunities, so you should ask that question so you don't rate them high.

Also, ask how working in-house is different than working at a firm. Ask them what type of opportunities have the people who worked at their firm gone off to do? This could be a good opportunity. The large corporation, probably works with a firm. You might be able to make connections with that firm or at least you know what firms they work with so you can contact that firm during the summer/3L year for post-grad work. You can use the in-house opportunity to show that you know what it's like to work for an organization, etc....

Thanks. Could you specify on what questions I should ask/be expected to be asked? I eventually want to work in-house after a few years at a firm so should I tell them that? I worked at a large firm after my 1L summer so should I say something like I didnt like the hours firm people worked?

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
sparty99 wrote:Ask them normal interview questions that you would ask any other legal employer. Then, perhaps, ask about long-term opportunities. Do you hire out of law school? You don't want to be matched with a firm that won't consider you for full-time opportunities, so you should ask that question so you don't rate them high.

Thanks. Could you specify on what questions I should ask/be expected to be asked? I eventually want to work in-house after a few years at a firm so should I tell them that? I worked at a large firm after my 1L summer so should I say something like I didnt like the hours firm people worked?

No. Don't up that you want to work in-house after a few years. But if they ask, You should tell them that you are very interested in business law and whether it is in-house or firm, that's what you care about it. You are all about the opportunity. Wherever you have the ability to work on exciting protects is where you want to be. Then throw in some stuff about their firm and end by saying, "based on your work in health-care, I think I'll enjoy the work that you do."

No, do not talk about hours. You don't want to come across as lazy. You can also state that you want to do in-house because you already have the firm experience and you want to see the difference. You can say you prefer in-house because you can see different parts of the business. In-house deals with the law and unlike a firm, it also has a good business component. You can say that interests you.

1) What's the main differences between in-house and firm work?
2) Where did you intern?
3) What cases will you work on?
4) Will I be considered for opportunities immediately upon graduation?
5) Do you work with outside counsel?
6) What are the biggest legal issues that your firm deals with or is handling right now?
7) How often do you go to trial?
8) What areas of the company will I have the most contact with?
9) What skills will I have acquired after four months being here?

Kage3212

Postby Kage3212 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:45 am

Sparty, I have an in-house interview coming up tomorrow and wanted to thank you for these questions and your contribution. Good stuff.

Return to “Legal Employment”