SA social events

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

SA social events

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:19 pm

SA this summer in biglaw firm in NYC. just curious what kind of social events there will be and if i'll have to go. thanks

Anonymous User

Re: SA social events

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:22 pm

1.) Details Depend on the Firm and will vary slightly by Year. Expect parties, golf, sports/concerts, all around awesomeness. My V5 Firm had an event nearly every week. Others at my school were two times a month or so.
2.) "Have to" is the wrong mentality to have going into this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:27 pm

One event a week is pretty standard. Sometimes individual practice groups will have a few here and there as well. Generally people want to go to these, because they're generally pretty fun and awesome. It's probably best to attend a strong majority of them as it's a good way to get to know the people in the firm. If you don't attend enough of them without legit excuses, your colleagues might think you're kind of lame.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:39 pm

What can one expect for really small classes/programs?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:54 pm

seriously, why would you feel like you are forced to go? as long as it's pretty likely that they will offer you a full-time position?!
you may not totally enjoy it, but you won't hate it - they offer you a job!

the worst scenario: asking a smallish firm whether they'll take you back the next summer - they said 'no' - and imply your performance isn't up to par. then they still sort of coerce you into going to some activities.... this happened to me.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:SA this summer in biglaw firm in NYC. just curious what kind of social events there will be and if i'll have to go. thanks

The firm I'm going to and another V50 firm I interviewed with said the only SAs they have ever no-offered were people who missed social events or were not sociable enough in the office.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:17 pm

i'd say it's ok to be quiet and low-key and otherwise courteous - people will not likely get no-offered because they are not 'sociable'

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i'd say it's ok to be quiet and low-key and otherwise courteous - people will not likely get no-offered because they are not 'sociable'

I was specifically told that being quiet and low-key would result in a no-offer at my firm. They said they expect a good SA to wander the halls and strike up random conversations with people they bump into on a regular basis.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:35 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:i'd say it's ok to be quiet and low-key and otherwise courteous - people will not likely get no-offered because they are not 'sociable'

I was specifically told that being quiet and low-key would result in a no-offer at my firm. They said they expect a good SA to wander the halls and strike up random conversations with people they bump into on a regular basis.

wow, this is not my experience. or maybe we mean different things. quiet=/=wordless. I have known quiet a number of quiet but decent and nice people getting offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:

wow, this is not my experience. or maybe we mean different things. quiet=/=wordless. I have known quiet a number of quiet but decent and nice people getting offers.

"oh, you look really nice today!" "Oh, the weather is so nice, isn't it?" "It's so wonderful to be here! hohoho!"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:01 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:

I've never heard of this. Sounds pretty harsh. But truth be told, it's probably for your benefit that you get to know as many people as you can over the summer. You want to start developing relationships with associates/partners sooner rather than later, so that way they might remember you when you come back, and want to work with you/give you interesting assignments. At least that's the advice I got at my NYC firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:54 pm

I was no-offered my 2L summer by a regional firm, and the reason given to me was that I left several social events early and skipped two intra-firm softball matches. The firm held at least two events per week for twelve weeks, so I didn't think anyone would mind.

What was even more sickening was that I'd received good reviews on my work product the entire summer and thought I had an offer in the bag. The poor guy who made the call said the hiring committee felt I "wasn't committed to the social aspect" of the firm. He specifically stated that the firm was satisfied with my work and that the decision was "nothing personal." He also offered to write a recommendation letter.

Quite possibly the most embarrassing moment of my life.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:16 pm

it would not be wise to skip social events unless you give good excuses.
However, what bug me is that some people could pick on you for making fewer small talks than they expect you to. It's a nice thing to socialize after work is done. making foolish small-talk (like what I saw at a small law firm I summered as a 1L) is pure non-sense

handsonthewheel

Postby handsonthewheel » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was no-offered my 2L summer by a regional firm, and the reason given to me was that I left several social events early and skipped two intra-firm softball matches. The firm held at least two events per week for twelve weeks, so I didn't think anyone would mind.

What was even more sickening was that I'd received good reviews on my work product the entire summer and thought I had an offer in the bag. The poor guy who made the call said the hiring committee felt I "wasn't committed to the social aspect" of the firm. He specifically stated that the firm was satisfied with my work and that the decision was "nothing personal." He also offered to write a recommendation letter.

Not to rub it in...but wasn't that *only* personal?

Sorry to hear it. But good warning, I had no idea firms were that adamant about the social aspect. I planned to go to all events and I'm a fairly outgoing person, but didn't know it was enough to get someone that did work to get no-offered.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:24 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:

Both my summer firms listed this as a big reason for no-offers.

bns_77

Postby bns_77 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was no-offered my 2L summer by a regional firm, and the reason given to me was that I left several social events early and skipped two intra-firm softball matches. The firm held at least two events per week for twelve weeks, so I didn't think anyone would mind.

That's a good kick in the nuts right there.

My firm had a good amount of events, but nothing too overbearing. There was always a good chunk of people who hung out and got completely ripped long after the event should have ended. Looking back on it now, I'm not sure why I didn't stay right there with them, but I would usually find the appropriate time between "great buzz" and "shitfaced" to excuse myself for the evening. It was usually because it was on a Tuesday or something and I was expected back in the am.

Morale of the story is that you should find the right balance between demonstrating social skills and overdoing it beyond your socializing capabilities. For the first couple events, I'd be sure to stick around and look alive though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:54 pm

I am an outgoing person and socializing requires no effort from me. But for fuck's sake, I don't know the first thing about, and haven't the slightest of interests in, softball, baseball or golf. I will go and get along just fine, I just hope I won't be required to play and make a complete arse out of myself. :-/

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:00 am

Needs to be more firm kickball matches. Or dodgeball. Hit a partner right in the face = instant star and offer. Big guts.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:04 am

Concerts, alcohol, games, alcohol, golf, alcohol, lots of good and expensive food, alcohol.

Show up to events if you can, you may not get no-offered but the difference (at my firm at least) between the guy who showed up to almost nothing and the people who showed up to everything was pretty drastic interms of relationships with partner, types of projects complete, and relationships with other SAs (i.e. future co-workers).

cantaboot

Postby cantaboot » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:10 am

of course one should definitely show up for social events - if only for the wine/food.

I think there is a difference between not showing up i.e. not showing respect/appreciation, and just being a little reserved/quiet/ low-key. I totally appreciate the low-key people whom I've worked with in different settings. they are usually the ones who get work done and do not spread rumors.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:15 am

I'm pretty disturbed by the no-offers based on event-skippage. Anyone think it's really bad form for an athletic person to skip out on a running event? It's like a 5k so it's not terribly grueling, but it's a few weeks after finals for me and I'm sure that I'm going to be in awful, awful shape at that point. I don't want to sign up for the event and be the slowest finisher at the firm.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm pretty disturbed by the no-offers based on event-skippage. Anyone think it's really bad form for an athletic person to skip out on a running event? It's like a 5k so it's not terribly grueling, but it's a few weeks after finals for me and I'm sure that I'm going to be in awful, awful shape at that point. I don't want to sign up for the event and be the slowest finisher at the firm.

I'd be annoyed if my firm had a 5k as an event.

bns_77

Postby bns_77 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm pretty disturbed by the no-offers based on event-skippage. Anyone think it's really bad form for an athletic person to skip out on a running event? It's like a 5k so it's not terribly grueling, but it's a few weeks after finals for me and I'm sure that I'm going to be in awful, awful shape at that point. I don't want to sign up for the event and be the slowest finisher at the firm.

I'm sure walking will be the running style of choice at a law firm 5k, so I wouldn't worry too much about being shown up. It's probably a charity thing too, so you might want to suck it up...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:23 am

Maybe I'm making a mistake living an hour-long busride commute from my firm for my summer SA in NYC. Sounds like there will be a bunch of late nights that I'm not going to be skipping out of.

monkey85

Postby monkey85 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:Needs to be more firm kickball matches. Or dodgeball. Hit a partner right in the face = instant star and offer. Big guts.

Not just "Big guts" - bro you got big nuts to do that! I would second the instant offer.

As for the general sentiment of the thread, I agree: go to the social events.

Although, I am worried about sucking at golf, if there is an outing like that this summer. Oh well!

Return to “Legal Employment”