Summer Associate Success

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
donzoli
Posts: 145
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:53 pm

Summer Associate Success

Postby donzoli » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:52 pm

Does anyone know of any good resources or literature that covers what it takes to be a successful summer associate? I have read the follow and I enjoyed it, so I am looking for something similar. Thanks.

http://books.google.com/books?id=x1gjXcLLS1cC&printsec=frontcover&dq=curmudgeon's+guide+to+law&hl=en&sa=X&ei=WrhnT5XUN6b30gHI9rn6CA&ved=0CDMQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=curmudgeon's%20guide%20to%20law&f=false


ran12
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: Summer Associate Success

Postby ran12 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:46 pm

Tucker Max is the man

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer Associate Success

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Does it say, or does anybody know, what does Tucker Max do for a living now?

ran12
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: Summer Associate Success

Postby ran12 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does it say, or does anybody know, what does Tucker Max do for a living now?


Writes and goes on speaking tours.

User avatar
drdolittle
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:15 am

Re: Summer Associate Success

Postby drdolittle » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does it say, or does anybody know, what does Tucker Max do for a living now?


Stuff like this. LOL at Maxxx's expression at around 3:40, ugh. Then how he just gets up and leaves the interview with tail b/w legs after that bombastic BS story. This guy calls himself a writer and funny. :lol:

"Tucker Max gets called out on The Opie & Anthony Show"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAbreeMofRg

User avatar
erico
Posts: 232
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:56 am

Re: Summer Associate Success

Postby erico » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:41 am

donzoli wrote:Does anyone know of any good resources or literature that covers what it takes to be a successful summer associate? I have read the follow and I enjoyed it, so I am looking for something similar. Thanks.

http://books.google.com/books?id=x1gjXcLLS1cC&printsec=frontcover&dq=curmudgeon's+guide+to+law&hl=en&sa=X&ei=WrhnT5XUN6b30gHI9rn6CA&ved=0CDMQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=curmudgeon's%20guide%20to%20law&f=false


Everyone needs to read this.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer Associate Success

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:21 am

bump. i could use some insight as well.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer Associate Success

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:08 am

erico wrote:
donzoli wrote:Does anyone know of any good resources or literature that covers what it takes to be a successful summer associate? I have read the follow and I enjoyed it, so I am looking for something similar. Thanks.

http://books.google.com/books?id=x1gjXcLLS1cC&printsec=frontcover&dq=curmudgeon's+guide+to+law&hl=en&sa=X&ei=WrhnT5XUN6b30gHI9rn6CA&ved=0CDMQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=curmudgeon's%20guide%20to%20law&f=false


Everyone needs to read this.

For serious. I just looked up that book in our library and it's available. Checking it out now. From what I've read so far (it's a tiny book), a small portion of the advice is outdated. For example, the author seems to have an aversion to computerized legal research but even so the gist of that section is correct: start your research with a secondary source, THEN type in some search words (perhaps no secondary sources were available on Lexis/Westlaw in 2006?). Otherwise, this stuff looks like gold to me.


Agent
Posts: 340
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:03 pm

Re: Summer Associate Success

Postby Agent » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:54 am

This TLS post might be helpful. (The above post includes six of the links provided in the "Avoiding [No/Cold Offers]" section.)

EvelynS
Posts: 235
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:31 am

Re: Summer Associate Success

Postby EvelynS » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:23 am

This is a very helpful post. Thanks!

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: Summer Associate Success

Postby Cavalier » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:48 am

1) Don't miss deadlines
2) Don't do bad work
3) Don't be socially awkward

The end.

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Summer Associate Success

Postby sundance95 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:From what I've read so far (it's a tiny book), a small portion of the advice is outdated. For example, the author seems to have an aversion to computerized legal research but even so the gist of that section is correct: start your research with a secondary source, THEN type in some search words (perhaps no secondary sources were available on Lexis/Westlaw in 2006?).

My understanding is that firms pay for Lexis/WestLaw by the search or by the hour. Either way, getting an idea of what you are looking for from physical secondary sources is going to save the firm money.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Summer Associate Success

Postby r6_philly » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:10 am

sundance95 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:From what I've read so far (it's a tiny book), a small portion of the advice is outdated. For example, the author seems to have an aversion to computerized legal research but even so the gist of that section is correct: start your research with a secondary source, THEN type in some search words (perhaps no secondary sources were available on Lexis/Westlaw in 2006?).

My understanding is that firms pay for Lexis/WestLaw by the search or by the hour. Either way, getting an idea of what you are looking for from physical secondary sources is going to save the firm money.


Check with the firm on their pricing plan. Some firms have unlimited plans, some firms get charged by per document retrieved (I think LexisAdvance does this by default so searches are free, only reading a doc is charged). I think some firms also have internal knowledge base/compilation of resources for you to use as well.

User avatar
Big Shrimpin
Posts: 2468
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: Summer Associate Success

Postby Big Shrimpin » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:18 am

r6_philly wrote:
sundance95 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:From what I've read so far (it's a tiny book), a small portion of the advice is outdated. For example, the author seems to have an aversion to computerized legal research but even so the gist of that section is correct: start your research with a secondary source, THEN type in some search words (perhaps no secondary sources were available on Lexis/Westlaw in 2006?).

My understanding is that firms pay for Lexis/WestLaw by the search or by the hour. Either way, getting an idea of what you are looking for from physical secondary sources is going to save the firm money.


Check with the firm on their pricing plan. Some firms have unlimited plans, some firms get charged by per document retrieved (I think LexisAdvance does this by default so searches are free, only reading a doc is charged). I think some firms also have internal knowledge base/compilation of resources for you to use as well.


These can be very helpful for cutting-down on the research costs/the amount of work you have to do.

ajmax8
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 11:29 am

Re: Summer Associate Success

Postby ajmax8 » Sat May 05, 2012 10:29 am

tag

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: Summer Associate Success

Postby Old Gregg » Sat May 05, 2012 10:31 am

Cavalier wrote:1) Don't miss deadlines
2) Don't do bad work
3) Don't be socially awkward

The end.


TLSers need a manual for each of these points.

User avatar
JollyGreenGiant
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:12 pm

Re: Summer Associate Success

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Sat May 05, 2012 9:23 pm

r6_philly wrote:
sundance95 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:From what I've read so far (it's a tiny book), a small portion of the advice is outdated. For example, the author seems to have an aversion to computerized legal research but even so the gist of that section is correct: start your research with a secondary source, THEN type in some search words (perhaps no secondary sources were available on Lexis/Westlaw in 2006?).

My understanding is that firms pay for Lexis/WestLaw by the search or by the hour. Either way, getting an idea of what you are looking for from physical secondary sources is going to save the firm money.


Check with the firm on their pricing plan. Some firms have unlimited plans, some firms get charged by per document retrieved (I think LexisAdvance does this by default so searches are free, only reading a doc is charged). I think some firms also have internal knowledge base/compilation of resources for you to use as well.

Even if they have an unlimited plan, their contract is negotiated based on usage rates.

desertlaw
Posts: 679
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:03 pm

Re: Summer Associate Success

Postby desertlaw » Sat May 05, 2012 10:32 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
sundance95 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:From what I've read so far (it's a tiny book), a small portion of the advice is outdated. For example, the author seems to have an aversion to computerized legal research but even so the gist of that section is correct: start your research with a secondary source, THEN type in some search words (perhaps no secondary sources were available on Lexis/Westlaw in 2006?).

My understanding is that firms pay for Lexis/WestLaw by the search or by the hour. Either way, getting an idea of what you are looking for from physical secondary sources is going to save the firm money.


Check with the firm on their pricing plan. Some firms have unlimited plans, some firms get charged by per document retrieved (I think LexisAdvance does this by default so searches are free, only reading a doc is charged). I think some firms also have internal knowledge base/compilation of resources for you to use as well.

Even if they have an unlimited plan, their contract is negotiated based on usage rates.


Oh, I see you went to the Westlaw/Lexis seminar on "cost-effective research this summer."

shbe0701
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:12 pm

Re: Summer Associate Success

Postby shbe0701 » Sun May 06, 2012 11:30 pm

.

User avatar
Lawl Shcool
Posts: 763
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:44 pm

Re: Summer Associate Success

Postby Lawl Shcool » Sun May 06, 2012 11:47 pm

TCR with respect to Westlaw/Lexis is to use the free trials you get, then call the Westlaw/Lexis reps, say, "I really like westlawnext/lexis equivalent but am out of my free trial and will have to switch over to other service, can I have another one?" I went the whole summer only having 1 week of non-free trial research using this method.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.