Long Hair Before Interview?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Ikki

Long Hair Before Interview?

Postby Ikki » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:25 pm

I have an interview with my local D.A.'s Office tomorrow and an interview with a State Judge later on this week. Both interviews are for 1L summer internships. I have researched both office's and feel like I interview well, but I am worried about my hair. Right now is just a bit above my shoulders, it's well groomed and clean. I was hoping to have to cut it at the earliest before OCI in August but don't know if that might be a bad idea.

StarLightSpectre

Re: Long Hair Before Interview?

Postby StarLightSpectre » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:36 pm

Ikki wrote:I have an interview with my local D.A.'s Office tomorrow and an interview with a State Judge later on this week. Both interviews are for 1L summer internships. I have researched both office's and feel like I interview well, but I am worried about my hair. Right now is just a bit above my shoulders, it's well groomed and clean. I was hoping to have to cut it at the earliest before OCI in August but don't know if that might be a bad idea.

I'm a lowly 0L so no advice here. But I just want to commiserate with you. I do not look forward to the day I have to cut my hair to look "professional".

The Duck

Postby The Duck » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:39 pm

Are you a guy? I'd get a haircut. You want to look professional and it's probably the haircut you'll sport the rest of your life so you may as well start now.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:00 pm

Get it cut now. An employer will hold it against you. Yes, it has no bearing on your work performance, but employers are allowed to judge you on criteria like that. No, it doesn't matter that it's unfair or otherwise infringes on your expression. If you want the job, you play by their rules, which are short hair on men.

shepdawg

Postby shepdawg » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:25 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:Get it cut now. An employer will hold it against you. Yes, it has no bearing on your work performance, but employers are allowed to judge you on criteria like that. No, it doesn't matter that it's unfair or otherwise infringes on your expression. If you want the job, you play by their rules, which are short hair on men.

I would think that longhair would have bearing district attorney's work performance, because they would look less credible to a jury.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:52 pm

Ask much deliberation, I cut off about 2 feet. Worth it. Don't take the chance (why).

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:53 pm

shepdawg wrote:I would think that longhair would have bearing district attorney's work performance, because they would look less credible to a jury.

As much as I feel this is ridiculous, it is true. Same with mustache/beard. I did a bit of research before making my decision to cut, but it's pretty clear based on many studies.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:54 pm

Long hair employer care.

Pricer

Postby Pricer » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:23 am

r6_philly wrote:
shepdawg wrote:I would think that longhair would have bearing district attorney's work performance, because they would look less credible to a jury.

As much as I feel this is ridiculous, it is true. Same with mustache/beard. I did a bit of research before making my decision to cut, but it's pretty clear based on many studies.

Agreed. Older attorneys will not take you serious with long hair. I have heard partners joke about younger guys with long hair, calling them hippies, etc. I always make sure to shave with a straight razor the morning of interviews and most mornings before work, and I make sure to keep my hair short during interviews and the earlier days working there. After you've proven yourself, your looks don't matter quite as much to your employer. But you should be mindful of clients, and, as mentioned above, juries.

leobowski

Postby leobowski » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:32 am

Short hair always.
Clean-shaven almost always.
Neatly trimmed beard-rarely.
Manscaping- feelin' lucky pal?

Glock

Postby Glock » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:02 am

Ikki wrote:I have an interview with my local D.A.'s Office tomorrow and an interview with a State Judge later on this week. Both interviews are for 1L summer internships. I have researched both office's and feel like I interview well, but I am worried about my hair. Right now is just a bit above my shoulders, it's well groomed and clean. I was hoping to have to cut it at the earliest before OCI in August but don't know if that might be a bad idea.

Don't be an idiot. Cut your hair. Unless you are in Portland.

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:23 am

Took the advice, now it's gone :(

Reprisal

Postby Reprisal » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:45 pm

Ikki wrote:Took the advice, now it's gone :(

:( but good

Return to “Legal Employment”