Reneging Job Offer - Thoughts

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Reneging Job Offer - Thoughts

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:01 pm

I am a 1L and accepted a job offer a couple of months ago for an unpaid position with the Department of Justice on the west coast.

However, recently I received an offer from a NLJ 250 that will pay me an Associate salary for the summer.

I want to renege, but I was considering working for the DOJ after my 9 week internship with the NLJ 250. I could possibly work 4 to 6 weeks at the DOJ before school starts if they allow me (late July/August). I'd really only want to do this so I don't have to renege and so I can have the DOJ on my resume. Otherwise, I'd much rather enjoy the month of August doing nothing, rather than working for free.

Any advice on this subject? Do you think employers will care that I have the NLJ 250 firm/DOJ on my resume? Also, what is the best way to renege? Via email or phone?

Anonymous User

Re: Reneging Job Offer - Thoughts

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:42 pm

Try to see if the DOJ will let you work a split summer. That way you minimize how much you piss people off. But, if they are not willing to accommodate, take the paid job. Just my opinion though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Try to see if the DOJ will let you work a split summer. That way you minimize how much you piss people off. But, if they are not willing to accommodate, take the paid job. Just my opinion though.

Thanks for the response. I forgot to mention that I don't want to do a split summer because the firm job will be paying me $2,300 and I don't want to give up that money...

Void

Postby Void » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:40 pm

Might not be a bad idea to be honest with the DOJ. Forgoing an unpaid internship in favor of a paid job is totally understandable. You could find a way to phrase it to convey that it is a tough call for you but you can't pass up the paid opportunity. That said, there may be no way for you to have your cake and it eat in this situation. If you're serious about developing a relationship with either option, you might have to decline one of them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:31 pm

When you say DOJ, do you mean a USAO or a DOJ component field office? If it's the former, the office will probably be fine with you turning them down for a good paid opportunity.

That being said, if you are serious about working at the DOJ, it is so competitive that I think you will have a extraordinarily hard time (even with perfect credentials) getting hired through DOJ Honors if you haven't spent any time with any DOJ component/USAO.

Employers probably won't care if you have DOJ (or USAO) on your resume if you also were a SA.

Reprisal

Postby Reprisal » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Try to see if the DOJ will let you work a split summer. That way you minimize how much you piss people off. But, if they are not willing to accommodate, take the paid job.

ben4847

Postby ben4847 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:58 pm

I'd take the money so fast

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:24 pm

$2,300/week + potential offer at the end of the summer + boosts for interviewing = no-brainer. Take the firm. If you want to work DOJ you might be able to do so during the year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:34 pm

nice option

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:50 am

I'd try and split. If you want to work in that DOJ office specifically at any point in the future, it would likely be very difficult after reneging- I'm not sure how it would affect you in other DOJ offices, but I'm sure they keep note of it. Offer to continue into the semester etc if you really want to show interest.

I interned with the DOJ as a 1L if that helps.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:Try to see if the DOJ will let you work a split summer. That way you minimize how much you piss people off. But, if they are not willing to accommodate, take the paid job.

TITCR

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:46 pm

OP here...I reneged my offer and am glad the stress is gone...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:54 pm

Know someone else in a similar situation. If you accept in writing, then renege, does that come up on your C+F exam?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:06 am

It depends on how vengeful the firm you reneged on is. If you really break someone's trust, they can report you to the employer you're reneging them for as well as the Bar for unethical behavior.

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:It depends on how vengeful the firm you reneged on is. If you really break someone's trust, they can report you to the employer you're reneging them for as well as the Bar for unethical behavior.

Oh for real? So when I get laid off can I report the firm for being unethical? Which ethical rule is the one that says I have to be a good peon?

Return to “Legal Employment”