Summer Associate

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Summer Associate

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:24 pm

When is the ideal time to start applying for summer associate positions and when is it too late?

ph14

Re: Summer Associate

Postby ph14 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When is the ideal time to start applying for summer associate positions and when is it too late?

1L? 2L? 3L?

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:29 pm

1L: Dec 1 through grades release depending on the firm.
2L: Staggered from the second week of July to the first week of August.
3L: First week of August through first week of September.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:31 pm

2L and 3L. This semester is my first semester of my second year so I will have one more summer in addition to this one. So begin the application process around the end of the summer prior to the one you are hoping to land a summer associate position?

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2L and 3L. This semester is my first semester of my second year so I will have one more summer in addition to this one. So begin the application process around the end of the summer prior to the one you are hoping to land a summer associate position?

Why is this the first semester of second year? Are you a 2E or are you somehow on a five semester plan?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:38 pm

I go to a school that accepts incoming 1Ls in the spring and I was one of those students.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I go to a school that accepts incoming 1Ls in the spring and I was one of those students.

Good luck explaining that to firms. I was on an unusual path and had a friend on an off-cycle like you. Firms straight up told us that they couldn't understand a non-3 year program and wouldn't hire people without May 20xx dates that aligned with their plans.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:42 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I go to a school that accepts incoming 1Ls in the spring and I was one of those students.

Good luck explaining that to firms. I was on an unusual path and had a friend on an off-cycle like you. Firms straight up told us that they couldn't understand a non-3 year program and wouldn't hire people without May 20xx dates that aligned with their plans.

Ya, I figured as much. Even though this is still a 3 year program?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:

Ya, I figured as much. Even though this is still a 3 year program?

How did you and your friend approach the situation?

Return to “Legal Employment”