Most PRESTIGIOUS Summer Intern/Associate Position?? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Most PRESTIGIOUS Summer Intern/Associate Position??

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:34 pm

I am a 1L and would like to know which intern would look best for future employment after graduation as I have been fortunate to received offers from all of the below. I am leaning towards the DHS Internship. I would appreciate any advice on why I should or should not accept that offer? My future endeavors are pretty much opened. Just want to have a well paid job right after graduation.

1- Intern with Department of Homeland Security (ICE)
2- Judicial Internship with federal/state judge
3- Work at a small private firm
4- Intern at Public Defenders
5- Research Assistant for professor

ph14

Gold

Re: Most PRESTIGIOUS Summer Intern/Associate Position??

Post by ph14 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am a 1L and would like to know which intern would look best for future employment after graduation as I have been fortunate to received offers from all of the below. I am leaning towards the DHS Internship. I would appreciate any advice on why I should or should not accept that offer? My future endeavors are pretty much opened. Just want to have a well paid job right after graduation.

Doesn't matter. Pick based on location, connection, preference, etc. Or if any of them are paid or eligible for public interest funding if your school has that.

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am a 1L and would like to know which intern would look best for future employment after graduation as I have been fortunate to received offers from all of the below. I am leaning towards the DHS Internship. I would appreciate any advice on why I should or should not accept that offer? My future endeavors are pretty much opened. Just want to have a well paid job right after graduation.

1. Tone down the thread title. I thought this was a early WLRK v. CSM before I clicked.

2. Don't do #4 or #5. What part of ICE (chief/general counsel or operations/enforcement)? What kind of small private firm (boutique or general practice)? What level of federal/state judge (SSC or DC or COA or BR or Mag)?

Sup Kid

Silver

Post by Sup Kid » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:22 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:1. Tone down the thread title. I thought this was a early WLRK v. CSM before I clicked.

2LLLL

Bronze

Post by 2LLLL » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:02 pm

None of these are really that prestigious. And there's really not a problem with that. If you're the type that chases prestige for prestige's sake, you're probably going to end up unhappy down the line...

Do whatever is most interesting to you, and in the long run it probably won't really matter

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:36 pm

If none are prestigious then what would you consider prestigious for a 1? With the job market the way it is right now it is difficult to even get a job/internship.

-What should 1L's be looking to do this summer?

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If none are prestigious then what would you consider prestigious for a 1? With the job market the way it is right now it is difficult to even get a job/internship.

Here is a comprehensive guide, from best to worst:

1) A biglaw job.
2) Any other paying job.
3) Any other unpaid job.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:40 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If none are prestigious then what would you consider prestigious for a 1? With the job market the way it is right now it is difficult to even get a job/internship.

As you said, it's a tough market. The focus should be on getting something, not on "prestige".

As for what should 1L's be doing, fucking search. It's only been covered eleventy-billion times. The short answer: anything legal.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

fdr123

New

Post by fdr123 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:43 pm

I dont agree with any paid legal job being better than any nonpaid legal job. Some nonpaid can offer more experience and may help in getting a better job than a small firm where you may be only filing papers and getting paid.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:44 pm

fdr123 wrote:I dont agree with any paid legal job being better than any nonpaid legal job. Some nonpaid can offer more experience and may help in getting a better job than a small firm where you may be only filing papers and getting paid.
ಠ_ಠ

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:45 pm

fdr123 wrote:I dont agree with any paid legal job being better than any nonpaid legal job. Some nonpaid can offer more experience and may help in getting a better job than a small firm where you may be only filing papers and getting paid.
I disagree with your disagreemetance.

fdr123

New

Post by fdr123 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:51 pm

Explanation for you disagreeing would be helpful

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:55 pm

Because you're not going to learn anything really useful 1L summer. Nor will it really help you get a job, it's just something to talk about at interviews. Might as well go paid I possible. Working for free sucks.

Detrox

Bronze

Post by Detrox » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:36 pm

Paid > Lower paid > Unpaid is credited. The only reason to take a lower paying or unpaid job is not for "prestige" 1L year, but to develop your resume or connections for a future goal. For instance, RAing, while viewed with disapproval on TLS, is a great way to connect with professors for future LoRs and highlight an interest in academia. Similarly, one could pursue low paying or unpaid PI, prosecution, or other position in a field whose full time position hiring staff tend to look for dedicated committment to that field on one's resume.

Ignoring having a detailed rationale for taking an alternate route, 1L jobs are about going to the money as long as its "legal."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:56 pm

kalvano wrote:Because you're not going to learn anything really useful 1L summer. Nor will it really help you get a job, it's just something to talk about at interviews.
Although this is generally true, it is not true 100% of the time and thus I have to disagree very strongly. Working for some shit small firm for relative peanuts is almost always total waste of time, IMO, because it will almost never open ANY doors. The $15-20/hr isn't worth what a wasted investment it is. I know countless people who focused on "just getting paid" 1L and 2L summer and all they had to show for it was a few thousand bucks from doing useless rote admin. work and a few research memos.

Personal anecdote: I worked for free my 2L summer for a CoA justice and his LOR was what got me a post-grad clerkship and an offer at a mid-law firm the following year. (Not to toot my own horn, but to put it in perspective, the justice said I was his best intern he had ever had in his 30 years on the bench, so, admittedly, my experience was uncommon.) Unless you can get a biglaw job, your best bet is to focus on connections and networking, and from my and others' experience, working with judges is always a good option.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:04 am

ph14 wrote:

1) A biglaw job.
2) Any other paying job.
3) Any other unpaid job.
Yep. It really doesn't matter that much if you're trying to get a biglaw job.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:01 am

scratch out #4 and #5, if the small firm isn't sketchy, and also pays you then do that
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:01 pm

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:06 pm

Depends upon the perspective of the responder, but should depend upon the career objectives of the applicant.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:35 am

I agree that paid isn't necessarily better. By doing something unpaid I got way ahead on credits and get to wrap up school a semester early now. Depending on your school's policies, you may be better off going unpaid. Especially since at OCI, firms will not care which legal gig you took 1L summer.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:39 am

IAFG wrote:I agree that paid isn't necessarily better. By doing something unpaid I got way ahead on credits and get to wrap up school a semester early now. Depending on your school's policies, you may be better off going unpaid. Especially since at OCI, firms will not care which legal gig you took 1L summer.
... You can finish school a semester early?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:43 am

booboo wrote:
IAFG wrote:I agree that paid isn't necessarily better. By doing something unpaid I got way ahead on credits and get to wrap up school a semester early now. Depending on your school's policies, you may be better off going unpaid. Especially since at OCI, firms will not care which legal gig you took 1L summer.
... You can finish school a semester early?
Generally you still have to pay tuition but you can avoid living expenses, which, in a major city, is a big deal. I know a few people who started work early too, so reclaim that opportunity cost.

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
kalvano wrote:Because you're not going to learn anything really useful 1L summer. Nor will it really help you get a job, it's just something to talk about at interviews.
Although this is generally true, it is not true 100% of the time and thus I have to disagree very strongly. Working for some shit small firm for relative peanuts is almost always total waste of time, IMO, because it will almost never open ANY doors. The $15-20/hr isn't worth what a wasted investment it is. I know countless people who focused on "just getting paid" 1L and 2L summer and all they had to show for it was a few thousand bucks from doing useless rote admin. work and a few research memos.

Personal anecdote: I worked for free my 2L summer for a CoA justice and his LOR was what got me a post-grad clerkship and an offer at a mid-law firm the following year. (Not to toot my own horn, but to put it in perspective, the justice said I was his best intern he had ever had in his 30 years on the bench, so, admittedly, my experience was uncommon.) Unless you can get a biglaw job, your best bet is to focus on connections and networking, and from my and others' experience, working with judges is always a good option.
What did you do to earn such a compliment? Just want to know how to be a good extern. PM me if you are uneasy about details with your work. Sorry to derail. I have heard though that prestige can make an impact with smaller/mid sized firms. Seems like it only matters for biglaw if you have the grades.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:30 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
ph14 wrote:

1) A biglaw job.
2) Any other paying job.
3) Any other unpaid job.
Yep. It really doesn't matter that much if you're trying to get a biglaw job.
Hm, I'd prefer something like USAO-SDNY or the DOJ-Civil Rights Division over a sketchy small firm paying $15/hr.
Guessing this post was for the lulz, but I don't think anyone decides between DOJ Honors and $15/hr boner law in Reno. That said, I agree with your point even for less prestigious unpaid gigs. I'd take a job at virtually any big-city PD or DA's office over the boner law gig. Unless it's a salaried summer associate position or you were hooked up by a family member and KNOW you're likely to get hired there, don't bother is probably TCR.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”